Several malfunctions happened this weekend

Discussion in 'SU-16' started by AAR, Jul 26, 2020.

1. AAR

AAR Member

Jul 15, 2020
    I had a bad weekend with the su16.

First the it kept stove piping. And double feeding.

Then it started shooting really low. Like into the ground. I was shooting a gong about 75 yards away. And the rounds shot about 50 yards into the ground. (Red dot was on tight)

Then the bolt group got stuck about half way in its track. It would move slightly about and inch back and forth but not easily and I noticed plastic chips/strips on it. At this point I decided to pack it up.

The screws in the receiver on top and below the mag release were loose. My uneducated opinion is that maybe the two halves loosened up and the BCG came of its track.

I stripped it and noticed more plastic shredded off. Did a cleaning and didnt notice any parts broken. I reasembled and it seems to function fine. I also loctited those two screws.

You guys have any idea what happened?

Federal brass cased 556 and LaXammo new brass 223.

2. iamscottasus

iamscottasus Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Loose screws sounds about right.
    I would upgrade the extractor with an AR15.

3. AAR

AAR Member

Jul 15, 2020
    First range report after thorough cleaning of BCG, barrel, loctite-ning the loose screws on the frame/Magwell, and replacing the ejector with and armalite ejector and BCM upgraded extractor spring kit.

First couple of shots were fine no problems. Them after a few it stove piped again, and double fed. It was hit and miss after that. I'm going to try to clean the gas port with some brake cleaner

4. iamscottasus

iamscottasus Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Dang!
    Im sorry you had these problems.
    Even after changing the extractor.
    But I have to say there is a preferred extractor available at Midway USA.
    Its been mentioned many times on this forum.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1003289577
    This is the one that works.
    Sorry I wasn't specific earlier.
    If this doesn't work, Id be sending it back.