Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I just purchased a used RFB in Canuckistan. The rifle is in 5100’s as far as build number and has the Gen 2 gas system and gold bolt. As soon as I received it I stripped it as cleaned all the carbon from the piston, cleaned the barrel, removed the picatinny rail and loctited it on and then lubed and reassembled. The ammo I tried was Hirtenberger surplus and Barnaul steel cased with 165gr SP, my questions are:

1. Starting at +30 on the gas and going down 5 per shot then when the bolt locked I would back off 1 until failure to lock then I added 2 clicks, Hirtenber ended up @+5 and the Barnaul @+4. While everything worked fine I’m concerned that if I have to turn my gas up from a dirty gun or cold weather that I don’t have enough adjustment left to maintain reliable operation. I’ve read lots of people running @+20 or higher so I want to make sure that I‘m not missing anything or that I’m worrying about nothing.

2. When loading from the mag the bolt wouldn’t strip a round and chamber it when using the bolt release, it would only move the bolt 1/2-3/4” then stop. If I racked it with the charging handle it would chamber just fine. Could this be a lubrication issue?

3. I tried some mild 180gr reloads and 2 of the 5 had pierced primers. Not popped, pierced as in the firing pin poked right through. Does the RFB have a overly hard hammer strike for surplus ammo or does the firing pin stick out to far on others?

Thanks for any and all help.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Not sure what to tell you about the +4 or +5 lockback.
My RFB runs 165gr Tula steel case at about +14 and is dead accurate with that stuff.
2. The non feed issue may just be the need to give it just another click of gas.
If it will strip a round from the mag manually, it's probably not a mag issue just the bolt isn't pushed back quite far enoug to get the next round.
3. The RFB was chambered to run 7.62x51 ammo, so it is "setup" to function with harder "military" primers.
So, it is possible that if you are using softer, non military, primers that they might get pierced.
As an aside, someone who has had alot of experience with the RFB told me that it does not doe well with reloads unless you load for 7.62 and not 308.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response rb288, I’ll try some different primers and see if the results are the same.

·
Registered
RFB18 (Gen1) RDB17 (1:9 )
533 Posts
Hey all, I just purchased a used RFB in Canuckistan. The rifle is in 5100’s as far as build number and has the Gen 2 gas system and gold bolt. As soon as I received it I stripped it as cleaned all the carbon from the piston, cleaned the barrel, removed the picatinny rail and loctited it on and then lubed and reassembled. The ammo I tried was Hirtenberger surplus and Barnaul steel cased with 165gr SP, my questions are:

1. Starting at +30 on the gas and going down 5 per shot then when the bolt locked I would back off 1 until failure to lock then I added 2 clicks, Hirtenber ended up @+5 and the Barnaul @+4. While everything worked fine I’m concerned that if I have to turn my gas up from a dirty gun or cold weather that I don’t have enough adjustment left to maintain reliable operation. I’ve read lots of people running @+20 or higher so I want to make sure that I‘m not missing anything or that I’m worrying about nothing.

2. When loading from the mag the bolt wouldn’t strip a round and chamber it when using the bolt release, it would only move the bolt 1/2-3/4” then stop. If I racked it with the charging handle it would chamber just fine. Could this be a lubrication issue?

3. I tried some mild 180gr reloads and 2 of the 5 had pierced primers. Not popped, pierced as in the firing pin poked right through. Does the RFB have a overly hard hammer strike for surplus ammo or does the firing pin stick out to far on others?

Thanks for any and all help.
5100's!? Man thats an old Gen 2.

1.) So your at B+5 or 5 from closed (all the way screwed in)? If so..You have plenty of room to go to add more gas.This is where mine is for 168s and 175gr brass cased ammo.. I go up when using surplus or 150gr. Normal Range is B+5-B+15.

I dunno how cold your going to have to get but I have not had to touch my system running from 120f to down to 15F..

2.) What mag are you using. Have you used others?

3.) I have run hand load throu mine and do not experience peirced primers...What primer are you using? I have had good luck with cci 200

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1. I know the gas system thing has been beat to death, so correct me if I’m wrong, bottomed out is full gas. If so my concern at B+5 is that I don‘t have much space to turn it up. When I started at B+30 it short stroked and the bolt would be stuck halfway. As far as temperature goes I shoot in weather that is 86F in summer to -22F in the winter.

2. The magazines i have are Thermold and I believe the other says DS Arms

3. The handloads are using Winchester WLR

·
Registered
533 Posts
1. I know the gas system thing has been beat to death, so correct me if I’m wrong, bottomed out is full gas. If so my concern at B+5 is that I don‘t have much space to turn it up. When I started at B+30 it short stroked and the bolt would be stuck halfway. As far as temperature goes I shoot in weather that is 86F in summer to -22F in the winter.

2. The magazines i have are Thermold and I believe the other says DS Arms

3. The handloads are using Winchester WLR
1.) Bottomed out is Closed. Least amount of gas introduced into the system = Most of the gas being vented. As you open it up (opposite of closing) more gas is being introduced into the system to cycle the action. I think somewhere around B+50 is about where the regulator is screwed off (at least that what I remember while I was briefly owned a Gen 2 RFB). You can Safety unscrew it to count how many click's it takes but you've got plenty of room..Sounds like youve almost reached the edge of how little gas you can run through the system.

As far as Temperature goes..Were both looking at around a 100 degree difference and, I have not had to touch my regulator when I set it in the summer with the same round.

So..It doesn't pick up a round with the DS or the Thermold?

A cursory google search says pierced primers with Winchester WLR is not an uncommon thing depending on how old they are.Meh..worst comes to worst..you can always order a different firing pin..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, it seems as though I screwed up on my first post! I have no idea where I got the numbers for the gas setting in my first question but upon reviewing my range notes it should be: Barnaul 168gr SP - B+10, Hirtenberger surplus - B+12. Hope that helps clear things up.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Well, it seems as though I screwed up on my first post! I have no idea where I got the numbers for the gas setting in my first question but upon reviewing my range notes it should be: Barnaul 168gr SP - B+10, Hirtenberger surplus - B+12. Hope that helps clear things up.
Sure does..You got plenty of room for more or less gas in the system and they are also within the normal operating range of B+5 -B15
Those number seem perfecty normal for steel cased and surplus ammo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts