Sent my P3 in already!!

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Guinness, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Guinness

Guinness New Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Whats up everyone. I am a newbie to the site and a noob to kel tec guns. I did purchase a P-3AT SN# JGU in November and have had some problems since purchase. I cleaned it and put through about 100 rounds and ran into the following:

1. On the first round of a full mag it would not load into the chamber properly. i.e I pull slide back to engage first round. The slide moves halfway fwd and seems to get stuck on the bullet. Hence I have to pull it back again to fully place the first round into the chamber.

2. Just jams up alot. I assume this might be associated with issue #1.

Lost my confidence quickly, so I sent it into kel tec this week. Any ideas what they will do to correct the issue? And how long it will take? I am carrying my glock 27 till then. Not quite as comfortable but works fine.

Thanks!

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Welcome to KTOG....
    The type of problems you stated are norm for the first poster here that have problems.  I guess the site should keep records on the percentage of those that correct and get there P3AT working to thier satisfaction.  The other statiscic should be once one states they loose confidance they wind up getting rid of them.  It is concidered a good find/deal to get one of those.

More than likely KT will clean, polish lube, and possibly change the extractor.  Sometimes they replace the barrel and slide if there was a problem.

six to eight weeks

3. Guinness

Guinness New Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Thanks for the welcome.

I think this gun will be a really nice concealable weapon when fixed. It amazes me though how this is the norm.... I cannot imagine my glock doing the same thing or any other gun. Why is this the norm?

Thanks!

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    What I meant

Of the small percentage that have a problem with a new out of the box, This is not to say that it is normal to have a problem with a new out of the box, but if someone new post here with a problem it is
    1) the first round doesn't go all the way into battery, with out a push
    and
    2) the pistol FTEs

So it is not normal to have problems, but the problem you stated is possibly the most posted and the one more than likely corrected.

Now the problem sounds like "friction." You could polish the metal to metal sliding surfaces to get the first round to chamber. this would have to help with problem 2. If it didn't completely fix #2, then replacing the extractor is an easy try. Now if it is more than that, sending it back might be required

5. Guinness

Guinness New Member

Jan 16, 2008
    OK thanks for the info. I sent it in already, just because I don't feel that I should be making alterations on a brand new gun.. Or any gun for that matter. Do they typically call you and notify you of the problem? Or that they received it?

6. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Some people do have problems with Glocks and others, http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=329272

I don't think I implied or mentioned "altering". the Polishing would be nothing more than an accellerated self polishing of the sliding surfaces with breakin shooting.

Now these pistols are VERY different than a Glock (or any other) in the amount of mass that is used in the design to make the action cycle. It does require the use of more specific lubrication (to reduce friction) and the ergonamics of the shooter (to provide resistance).

7. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    That gun wasn't even broken in yet.  The issues you described are not atypical for a new one.  You need a couple of hundered rounds just to let the surfaces wear into each other, and these ultra-light pistols require good lubrication including grease in the proper places.  Some of what you described may also be attributable to limp-wristing which is easily done with such a light pistol.  Way to soon to be sending it back, IMO.  :-/

8. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    What TX said. It sounds a LOT like limp-wristing, possibly in combination with a not broken in gun.

The first-round-not-chambering-when-loaded-by-hand is fairly common. Both of my 3ATs, which are WELL broken in, sometimes don't feed the first round. When hand loaded. Under shooting, everything works fine.

The second issue, "jams up a lot" does not give us much to go on. Was it failing to feed? Were rounds failing to eject?

It does sound, however, that a firm push-pull grip may not have been used, and as a result, the recoil was causing the gun to jam.

I bet KT polishes it up, and sends it back. When you get it, shoot it! :) And use a firm grip.

Oh, and no they don't call. When they fix it, you get it back, along with a letter explaining what was done.

And it most definitely is NOT a gluck, and thank GOD it's not. It's smaller, lower priced, and generally fits the hand better. ;)

9. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    "explaining what was done" is a little generous. The letters tend to be a bit generic that MAYBE list some and MAYBE all of the parts that were replaced. But the nice thing is they usually work when they come back. But then most probably worked when they arrived too...

-Scott

10. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    :-?
    I though I said the same too ;)

11. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Maybe they'll change some parts. :-/

12. 98_1LE

98_1LE New Member

Dec 29, 2005
    Did you lube it before shooting it? I have found these little things like oil and grease in the right places, more so than their larger brothers.

Also, what ammo was used?

13. Guinness

Guinness New Member

Jan 16, 2008
    I am not sure how much tighter I can hold this gun while I shoot. I took it apart after I purchased it and cleaned it up, and after each time to the range. I have used oil and grease.

14. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    The required ergonmocs required to assist the slide to cycle has nothing to do with how tight, but in preventing the rotation (and reward travel) of the frame,during the few milisecounds of recoil.

Shooters experanced with heavy guns and larger calibers may not have any problems with them, but do with the P3AT

15. It is not so much holding the gun "tighter" but locking the wrist.

These guns are so light, that they require alot of TLC.

The others have already said what needs to be said, so I won't repeat it.

Before it comes home, search for limpwristing videos.

When it comes home, CLEAN LUBE SHOOT REPEAT!

16. RAT76

RAT76 Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Search for Packer's "anti-limpwristing" instructions. Basically it's not how tight you hold it. It's where the recoil movement occurs. If you wrist flexes the gun may not cycle properly. The recoil movement should pivot at the elbow. As far as hanging when chambering the first round goes, that is pretty normal. The gun is right at the edge of the performance envelope. A "slingshot" type release is needed for the first round. Polishing the feed ramp helps a lot. Proper lubrication (with grease in the right spots) is essential.

Bottom line is that this little gun is a handfull to shoot & requires some adjustment on the part of the shooter. My P3 is polished within an inch of it's life. I can shoot it reliably one handed BUT my wrist locks up and my arm pivots at the elbow with the recoil.

BTW, "Limpwristing" is not a reflection on your manhood. It is merely a descriptive term.

When you get it back, "shoot it like you stole it".

17. Guinness

Guinness New Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Thanks for the info everyone. I am considering selling this gun when it gets back for a revolver. As a concealed weapon gun, I for one can not guarantee if something does happen I wont "limp wrist" and this gun might jam. This may offend some people here. It really sounds like the shooter has to adjust/polish/etc for this gun to work properly. I am thinking it might not be the gun for me. I will definitely test again when it gets back and let everyone know.

18. Syndil

Syndil New Member

May 8, 2007
    You might consider the P-32.

19. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Hey bud, there's no shame in ANY of this:

As Inspector Harry Callahan once said, "A man has GOT to know his limitations"

This may not be the gun for you. It's not the gun for everyone, that is for sure. There is no shame, nor is there worry of offense needed! You are stating your concerns well, and also not bashing the brand, or whining one bit. I wish everyone who was unhappy with their KT was as polite and well mannered as you are!!!

When you get it back, give it a good honest shot. If it doesn't work, then sell that puppy and get what YOU are confident in, and what YOU will carry.

After all, the weapon is to save YOUR life, so make it one YOU can count on!

Syndil is right in that a P-32 may be better for you. Or so may a snubby revolver. No matter what happens, make sure you let us know!!

Good luck!

20. Thanks Lurker... I think we all need to remember that!  No ONE gun is  the "IT" gun.

(Except, of course my G27... if you disagree you will die and then burn for a long long time!)    

+10