Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm going to have sell my new S2K , I was looking foward to fixing all its faults and problems , but there aren't any. It feeds 115,124, 147 and 158 grain ammo flawlessly . Hollow points ,round nose and flat points it feeds them all . The sights are dead own and the stock is perfect in the first position. It shoots inch to inch and a half groups at fifty yards and around four and a half inch groups at a hundred . Maybe I can find a gen 1 that needs some work to buy with the proceeds from the sale of it. I need something to do in my free time, you think I should try another new one ? There's no way I'd get another perfect S2K , is there? :gaah::yahoo:

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
After following the footprints of every mod and admin over to this thread:D, I must admit what a breath of fresh air it is to hear from the silent-majority.
Most KT's run just fine and their owners never have a reason to join the forum.
We never hear from those thousands.
But of the 200 or so that do have a problem, Google seems like a giant funnel that funnels every single one into our forum.
Do a google search for "My Kel-Tec #### is broken", top of the list will put you right here.
Some weeks it seems like an eternal "Gripe-a-thon" is underway:rolleyes:.
Bear in mind these guns come with a Lifetime Warranty (unheard of in modern times:eek:) that even covers (going by numerous documented cases), damage caused by the user
Emoticon Black Yellow Smiley Line
"I'm not going to attempt to fix it, I'm not going to send it back; I'm just going to see if I can gripe long enough to fix it."
What can you say?

The best advice I can offer you is to dig deep, really deep, into the sewer of really cheap ammo and try to find something that won't feed in it.
Only then, will you be able to sing with the choir:p.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Great thread! I have yet to have any problems with my Sub2k since I purchased it a year and a half ago. I have kept it stock without the trigger job or anything else with the exception of an angled foregrip and the buffer tube cover. It shoots all kinds of ammo without fail and I am shooting 1.5 to 2 inch groups at 50 yards with the open sights and my old eyes.
I must have gotten one of those lemons as well.LOL

·
Registered
375 Posts
My Gen 2 doesn't seem to like aluminum case ammo, I've tried both Federal and Independence. The Independence is pretty hot but they both fail to eject consistently. Always extracts but doesn't eject. But I don't consider that a fault, some guns just don't run all ammo.

Zero failures with every brand of brass case I've put thru it.

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
My Gen 2 doesn't seem to like aluminum case ammo, I've tried both Federal and Independence. The Independence is pretty hot but they both fail to eject consistently. Always extracts but doesn't eject. But I don't consider that a fault, some guns just don't run all ammo.

Zero failures with every brand of brass case I've put thru it.
Kel Tec has repeatedly told us that both steel cased and aluminum ammo is NOT recommended for use in either the Gen1 or Gen2 Sub2000's.

·
Registered
645 Posts
FLT, many of us are cursed with perfectly functioning Kel Tec firearms. Thankfully, many companies offer great products to modify our Kel Tecs, so we can scratch that tinkering itch many of us suffer from.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Amen.....My Sub2K 9mm runs GREAT also! Sweet little shooter and very accurate right out of the box! Was rather worried when I first bought it but soon fell in love with it. Only complaint would be that the sights sit to low and are a bit hard to use. I solved that problem though by adding a Red Dot sight with a 1/2" riser to it and now life is wonderful and happy again.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Well I hate to spoil the fun here but my exp was a bit different. Ok maybe I am one in a thousand. Now it runs fine,I think, but I had the project OP was looking for. Went back to Kel-Tec several times with little effect. Not really sure what the problem was to tell the truth. Stove pipes were most of it. Started off with 30% failure. Tried different magazines, different lubes and ammo. Nothing helped until I rolled my own. Mine seems to like .380 weight bullets pushed pretty fast. Could also be it took a long time to break in. Who knows. Had pretty close to 1000 rounds until she straightened up. Or I fell over the fix. I figure more ammo related. I have maybe 300 rounds maybe more through it since she started to run without problems but it took a long time to get it to that point. All that being said I like the thing. (go figure) I get about an inch maybe a bit more not much at 50yards using irons. Thats if I do my part. Almost finished adding a red dot to her this afternoon. Gotta get a riser but after that she should be done.
Glad you guys had great luck with your Subs. Seems most do. Now I'm hoping I can play more and work less. LOL
Gen 1 Glock 9mm

Hey Smokey10.
Where did you mount your red dot? I mounted mine on the original forearm toward the front using a M Lok rail. Of course it is to low so I was playing with it to see what it may take to get to a shootable heigh. Mine looks like a 1" riser. Are you using the stock frowned?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I get excellent groups with Federal .40
After break in she's smooth as butter.
Until I took her apart to clean.
Now I can't get the bolt back in.....
Yeah that can be a little tricky. What I do is put the muzzle down drop the bolt in and jiggle the unit up and down. It will fall into place after a few jiggles. LOL Then just put it together as normal. Oh remember the hammer has to be cocked.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey Smokey10.
Where did you mount your red dot? I mounted mine on the original forearm toward the front using a M Lok rail. Of course it is to low so I was playing with it to see what it may take to get to a shootable heigh. Mine looks like a 1" riser. Are you using the stock frowned?
Thumbs: I mounted the Red Dot on the top Piccatinny Rail. I have the Gen 2 Sub2K 9mm with M&P mags. Works great and using the Red Dot really helps my eyes find the target faster, my eyes are not what they used to be. Sucks to get older!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thumbs: I mounted the Red Dot on the top Piccatinny Rail. I have the Gen 2 Sub2K 9mm with M&P mags. Works great and using the Red Dot really helps my eyes find the target faster, my eyes are not what they used to be. Sucks to get older!
Thanks. Ours are a bit different as you know. I just found a riser locally and it works perfectly. I mounted the M Lok rail in the "vent holes" at the top right side of the forend. With the 1" riser and the TRS25 its perfect!! I'll get it out in the next couple of days and see how she runs. I can now use the "irons" and rotate the carbine just a bit and use the red dot. She folds and all!!!

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Thanks. Ours are a bit different as you know. I just found a riser locally and it works perfectly. I mounted the M Lok rail in the "vent holes" at the top right side of the forend. With the 1" riser and the TRS25 its perfect!! I'll get it out in the next couple of days and see how she runs. I can now use the "irons" and rotate the carbine just a bit and use the red dot. She folds and all!!!
Pics, please...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Pics, please...
I'll send some pics along later. You may be underwhelmed. LOL Nothing big deal pretty straight forward. Of the ideas I found, if it holds zero and I have no reason it won't, this is the idea that best fits my needs. The rail was $5.20 and the riser was 13 bucks.
This was not my idea. I got the idea from.........

DIY kel-tec sub2000 side optic mount

Parlusk

·
Registered
6 Posts
My s2k is one of the silent majority also, I guess. Tho I have proceeded to add the mcarbo trigger kit, cuz I like to make improvements. The only issue I ever had is that one of those clear plastic Korean happy sticks jammed in the receiver, and I had to disassemble the gun to get it out. No more Korean mags for me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.