Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I know I am on a Keltec forum but I'd really like to get opinions on the idea of selling my PS90 to buy an RDB. I really love the PS90 but I just never shoot the damn thing, reason being is that 5.7 ammo is expensive and sometimes a pita to find. I am also wanting to get back into the .223/5.56 platform weapons (sold my AR a while back), and I don't want to pick up a plain ole AR as I have lots of buddies that have them and thus can shoot them anytime. Anyways I'd like opinions of RDB or prospective RDB owners on selling the PS90 to buy the RDB, and before anyone says it I don't have any disposable income so I can't keep both and I wouldn't want to being that I never shoot the PS90 anyways.

-Mike in South Texas

·
Registered
154 Posts
mike,

once you fire an RDB you'll laugh at yourself for having asked that question. problem is you don't have one to shoot hence the question...lol...damn i just went full circle. anyway...i'm sorry man i just made myself laugh...seriously that's a tough one or maybe it isn't. i personally want a ps90. i have a fs2000 that i don't shoot as much anymore because of my RDB. then again i guess that's how it goes though...you get a new gun and the others get neglected.

you've already answered your own question but have come here for us to push you off the plank. will you like the RDB? most likely. it's the sweetest shooting bullpup in my opinion and i've shot all the major players. QC may be a concern for you but kel-tec appears to be committed to correcting minor or potential issues with updated internals where needed. that along with a lifetime warranty and outstanding customer service...you have nothing to worry about. plus you have resources such as this forum to help with setting your gun up along with maintenance tips to keep you running smoothly.

if your ps90 is a dust magnet and you want the RDB...i'd say...go for it!

·
Registered
296 Posts
I would agree. I have not owned a PS90, but I have shot a few, and several others in the same style. To me, the RDB is a lot of fun and is a very versatile system as long as you realize what it is and is not. I have 500 rounds in an ammo can that I hope to put through mine this week.

I did have some screws come loose and damaged a few rounds getting the gas system where it needed to be, but overall, impressive, fun and gets plenty of gawkers at the range.

·
Registered
34 Posts
First off, I think think this is a smart thing to do. I don't particularly hate the PS90 or 5.7mm round, but I think they are a very niche weapons system. For a civilian I think there are tons of better options out there for just about any purpose you might need a firearm for.

Next, I think you need to decide if you like bullpups. If you don't want an AR there are tons of other options (AK/Galil, CZ Bren, SCAR, ACR, XCR, ARX, Sig 552 etc), but if you need a bullpup I think the RDB is where it's at. I've also shot Tavors and AUGs and I like the RDB the most due to its simplicity, use of standard mags, great stock trigger, and ergonomic controls.

The one issue is stI'll reliability, but Keltec seems to be committed to sorting issues out and taking care of their customers. If that really bothers you I'd consider a Tavor, but if you can live with the Keltec reputation I think the RDB has enough going for it to make it worthwhile.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies! I actually have owned a ksg and a pmr30 a while back but sold them because I didn't entirely trust them, reason being is I had issues with both of them but I will say Keltec always got me squared away in fixing the particular issues. One can't deny Keltec's/George Kellgren's outside the box approach to firearm design and I've always been a fan, going back to the 90's with tec-9.

What I really like about the RDB is how simple the design seems. It reminds me quite a bit of my SCAR 17 in terms of the recoil spring and bolt carrier layout.

It looks like many are having minor issues with their RDBs but to me the design is pretty solid and simple. No knocking other keltec designed weapons, but I feel as though it will prove to be more reliable (just an opinion obviously).

I've shot a Tavor and I didn't like it at all, gas in the face was the major annoyance and it felt heavy and not well balanced. I've already held the RDB, as one of the gun shops has pretty much a model of every weapon out there that they don't sell so you could at least check it out. The RDB felt way more balanced and light compared to the Tavor. I've already mentioned the reasons why I want to sell the PS90 so I guess its just figuring out if I want to be somewhat of a beta tester with the RDB, being that there may be some issues that have yet to be hashed out.

I know there are some pending issues currently with likely is poorly manufactured components, but once they square away some of these issues do you all think the design of the weapon lends itself to longevity? Even though I trust Keltec, I am slightly worried I'll have to deal with sending the RDB back to keltec on a regular basis.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I would not have one in the safe if I thought the design was bad and prone to failure.

I hope I don't have to send it back, but knowing they have good warranty service is heartening if I do.

·
Registered
334 Posts
My PS90 is my HD gun. 50 rounds on tap, easy to maneuver, accurate, RELIABLE, and somewhat quieter than 5.56 in an enclosed space.

You can get 5.7 ammo cheap right now ($15/box). Not 5.56 cheap, but cheap enough.

Keep the PS90 and save the money to get the RDB. You've got time. It's not like the RDB will be gone forever tomorrow. Maybe by the time you're ready to buy, they'll have worked out the kinks.

·
Registered
154 Posts
It looks like many are having minor issues with their RDBs but to me the design is pretty solid and simple. No knocking other keltec designed weapons, but I feel as though it will prove to be more reliable (just an opinion obviously).

I know there are some pending issues currently with likely is poorly manufactured components, but once they square away some of these issues do you all think the design of the weapon lends itself to longevity? Even though I trust Keltec, I am slightly worried I'll have to deal with sending the RDB back to keltec on a regular basis.
i'll admit..the design is brilliant. it literally is just the action spring and housing and bolt assembly and that's it when disassembling. if you've dealt with ar15s often...cleaning the RDB is the equivalent of being on a luxury cruise by comparison. others have mentioned lesser quality internals and maybe but then again when i pull apart my fs2000 and the bolt assembly housing is half polymer on a gun 2-3 times the price it certainly makes me reconsider. you mention poorly manufactured components, but i feel the opposite...it seems more like assembly oversights/QC. i mean the nitriding on the barrel is nice. the steel pic rail isn't polymer like my fs2000. the bolt is your typical nitrided steel...the older design being an issue not so much material quality. maybe my standards aren't high enough...who knows. fortunately, it's been smooth sailing for me with my RDB. i did install the BCM upgrade but had planned to period...ar15 habit. i've had no double feeds and no jams AT ALL...well take that back...i did have a double feed when setting up the gas system on the first 2-3 shots fired when i got the gun. it's exceeded my expectations and even better it's the best shooting bullpup platform i've handled thus far.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Like the STG58 I've got, the RDB has been flawless. I wish Kel-Tec (or anyone) would offer a brass catcher, but I'm just being picky. The gun runs clean, and no gas adjustments have been needed with either factory loads or those I've made.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Like the STG58 I've got, the RDB has been flawless. I wish Kel-Tec (or anyone) would offer a brass catcher, but I'm just being picky. The gun runs clean, and no gas adjustments have been needed with either factory loads or those I've made.
I'm fairly certain Kel-Tec has a brass catcher in the works. I feel like I've even seen one from the recent shot show photos.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I forgot to mention, I've kinda established a basic rubric for what constitutes a keeper in terms of a weapon. My biggest gripe with the PS90 is when you try to get ammo at the big box stores its almost double the price (I know its 15 a box online currently but I am not a big fan of buying ammo online). Not sure if prices will eventually equalize @ the big box stores over time, but its currently not wallet friendly at all.

As part of a basic stipulation on myself so I am disciplined in not buying every weapon I see, I've established the concept that none of my weapons shall serve the same purpose. So if I own two weapons that don't have a distinct purpose over one another I force myself to sell one, kinda an OCD thing I have because at one point my gun collection got so large and I ended up never using some weapons and only playing with a select few. So here is how my current gun selection goes and the role each weapons fits into:

Sh!t hit the fan: AK47
Hog Hunting: Scar 17
Home Defense: 20 Gauge Mossberg
Back up Sidearm when hunting: XDM 45
Survival: Ruger 10/22
General Range use / Fun: PS90

When I think of range use / fun weapon, my PS90 is what currently fits that role. I feel like a general range use / fun weapon, should be a gun that has inexpensive ammo that can be found at most any big box store and be unique and innovative in its design which the PS90 meets the latter but not the initial requirement, the RDB meets both. I don't really have a reliability requirement on a general range use / fun gun being that it can be out of commission at any given point in time just as long as it’s not absurdly unreliable which plays into a positive for buying the RDB. Any thoughts on my logic? Albeit flawed it’s what I find is logical in my approach to being a firearm owner so I don’t get too top heavy.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My RDB is very reliable , accurate and is my favorite rifle at this point. Im going to try to wear the bore out and ship it back to get a new barrel and the upgraded bolt, lol.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hello all,

Gun shop says I'm really close on the list to get my RDB. Whats you alls opinion on whether or not the gun shop will do an even trade on my ps90 (no money exchanged)? The price on the RDB is 900 give or take at the gun shop I ordered it from.

·
Registered
54 Posts
How good are you in with the gunshop? Do they know you on a first name basis, know your wife's name, your kids? Do they know exactly what firearms are in your cabinet? Do you get invited to company events personally? If yes, then they might do a straight trade, most gun shops probably would want a small amount of cash with a trade if not.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have to say, the weight and quality of my rdb surprised me. All my other KelTec's have had to go back for repair at least once, so far this one is solid, simple and works!
Sell your PS90 online or trade at the gun store, I don't think you will regret it!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Right now, I find myself in this same position. Vacillating between selling my Steyr AUG and Steyr Scout rifles to buy an RDB or not and just keeping them. The RDB looks like a great rifle to me. A simple design with some great hi-tech features. I really want one. At this point in my life, I basically can have whatever rifle I want. The Steyr rifles and the RDB could all be in my safe. However, as I get older simplifying my life is a high priority. A safe full of guns no longer appeals to me. One or two good rifles are all that I want. If somebody would have told me that I would be considering selling my Austrian rifles to buy a Kel-Tec. I would have said they were bat crap crazy.

My instincts tell me to sell everything and start over. That little voice is always right! I'm ready to move into the 21st century. The Glock 19 MOS may go too. Just to make things interesting. A change in handguns away from what I know, could be the change in perspective that I need.

SamM

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.