Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else having problems with nickel plated rounds ejecting themselves out of the plastic 10rd mags ? It doesn't happen on after market 30rd clips the top lip is different on the factory clips .

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Is anyone else having problems with nickel plated rounds ejecting themselves out of the plastic 10rd mags ? It doesn't happen on after market 30rd clips the top lip is different on the factory clips .
The ammo is the Colt brand manufactured in Russia . I haven't put the micrometer to them yet to be fair to KelTec.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Oh, that's happened to me quite a bit. I don't even keep 10 rounds in the factory magazines anymore... I tend to stick with 5 or so.

My magazines might be a bit old (as was the SU-16). I remember first getting it and putting those nifty magazines in the buttstock... and finding out later that they had vomited out a bunch of rounds which were sliding around back there. Ammunition was all sorts, from Remington to Wolf to PPU to Federal.

I just use PMAGs now. :p

·
Registered
510 Posts
If you keep rounds in the old KT mags the feed lips will separate and they will dump rounds. The new ones are fine but even so storing rounds in a Mag is not a good idea. The new KT mags do have beefier feed lips to combat that problem.

P-Mags have a neato clip that goes on the top of the mag and pushes the rounds down away from the feed lips thus preventing deformation. KT mags don't have that feature.

Unfortunately P-Mags don't have the detent hole to keep them in the butt of the SU16, so if you want to carry mags in the butt they will have to be KT Mags.

For everything else use P-Mags. The gun handles best with 20 round P Mags.

Randy

·
Registered
24 Posts
WR, can PMags be modified to catch and hold?

I wont park mine with a loaded magazine in the well. Instead, l have paired a loaded mag with an empty, the empty in the well. Would like to have two 10 rounders in the stock

·
Registered
510 Posts
There isn't enough meat in the sides of the Pmags for a detent hole like the KT mags have. I looked at them with the same idea but it just won't work out.

My original KT mags that came with my gun were loose. the newer ones I got from KT after about 2014 are fine.

Randy

·
Registered
40 Posts
I keep the keltec mags fully loaded in the stock. Have never had rounds eject, nor have I had the magazines drop on their own with heavy 75gr ammo. I store the rifle in my safe bolt open, loaded 10 rd C Defense Products mag in the well and have never had an issue. The C-Pro mags drop free with some "flick" upon depressing the button, and it gets easier the more I use them.

Consider checking out the pins on the stock that fit into the depressions on the mags. Mine have a very tactile and audible click when I put them in and take considerable force to remove.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.