Seecamp vs. Kel-Tec dilemma solved :)

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by BaileyMoto, Feb 25, 2008.

1. BaileyMoto

BaileyMoto New Member

Feb 24, 2008
    I have been up in the air on whether to get the super light and thin kel-tec, or the beautiful and flawless Seecamp. Only reason I have doubts is due to not being able to see or handle a Seecamp in person, and the slimness and weight of the Kel-tec make it perfect for sliding in the back pocket and just forgetting about it. Im not entirely sure that the Seecamp offers the same, we'll have to see.

With that said, I am going to be ordering a Kel-tec p-3at tomorrow and putting a deposit down for a Seecamp .32 with a custom serial number. Worst case, I keep the Seecamp as a family heirloom, since it will hopefully sport our name :)

So yea, decision made...get both.

2. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    An excellent choice. It's hard to fault a man (woman?) person for owning too many guns. :D

3. shootah800

shootah800 New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Hard to make the wrong choice when you make both choices. Strong Work!

-Matt

4. sharpetop

sharpetop New Member

Dec 1, 2004
    One of my local dealers has a .25 Seecamp for a little over three bills. The .25s are very hard to come by and I've been thinking about it for investment purposes. [May have to shoot it some too.]

Oh yea, congrats on solving your delima!

5. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    With the P3AT having more power than a 38 special +P, and super light weight to boot - I have a feeling that the Seecamp will be sitting at home a lot :p

6. alamo

alamo New Member

Sep 12, 2004

The .25 Seecamp hasn't been made in quite a few years. Glad you just want it for investment purposes as the .25 is not the greatest round for self-defense as I'm sure you know.

7. Doc_Mark

Doc_Mark Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Hey, Wheelguy,

Your statement is interesting to me, and I'd very much like to know why you believe that any .380 load is more powerful than a .38 Special +P? Back in the days of Skeeter Skelton, Bill Jordan, Elmer Keith, et.al., the argument was that a .380 was "almost" as good as a .38 Special. But, I've never heard anyone say that any .380 possessed MORE power than a .38 Special, +P, or not. Thanks for any and all info you can send along, as I'm always open to learning something new. To me, a good .38 Special +P load will far outperform any .380 load, on a cartridge per cartridge basis. From the shooting I've done in the past, and from recording information offered by my own chronograph, I've seen nothing that would suggest that ANY .380 load is more powerful than a good .38 Special +P load. Thanks, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc (who loves the .380 round, and the guns made to shoot it, but who doesn't think any of them are more powerful than a good .38 Special +P load)

8. Bobo

Bobo Well-Known Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    Average Muzzle Velocity (fps)  : 38 special (not +P) = 951___ .380 ACP = 950
    Average Muzzle Energy (ft-lbs): 38 special (not +P) = 272___ .380 ACP = 193

Bobo

9. theheater905

theheater905 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    I have to agree with Doc. All the ballistic reports I have read indicate that the 380 is close to the 38 Spl depending on bullet weight but lags ballistically to the 38 + P loads. Its pretty much the same no matter what manufacturer you compare.

Speer Gold Dot ... 380 90 gr GDHP Muzzle 990ft /sec Energy 196 ft lbs

Speer Gold Dot .. 38 Spl 125 gr GDHP Muzzel 865 ft/sec Energy 208 ft lbs

Speer Gold Dot.. 38 Spl 125 gr + P GDHP Muzzel 945 ft/sec Energy 248 ft lbs

Rem Golden Sabre 380 102 gr Muzzel 940 ft/sec Energy 200 ft lbs

Rem Golden Sabre 38 + P 125 gr Muzzel 975 ft/sec Energy 264 ft lbs

10. heyjoe

heyjoe Member

Feb 11, 2008
    if you dont want that seecamp 25 let me know, im interested. Seecamp 380's and Seecamp 32's are the same weight. NAA 380's are heavier than their 32's.

11. Boggs51

Boggs51 New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    P-3AT:

I live in Florida and exclusively carry the Kel-Tec. At the beach I wear Nylon Cargo Shorts (Sportsman's Guide) without a shirt and the Kel-Tec with belt clip is perfect. However, it is so light, I have gone into the water with it a few times...forget you even have it on you!

As far as the difference between a 38 Special and a 380, the 38 special has more "punch." However, it's all about bullet placement!