Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During my first trip to the range last week I experienced roughly 15 fail-to-extract jams in 150 rounds of mag-tech ammo.  I took the gun apart and gave it a good cleaning and oiling and went back out yesterday.

Yesterday's trip didn't improve all that much.  I purchased 50 rounds of Remington 380 automatic ammo from the local Wally World.  Out of 50 rounds I got 3 jams.  Two fail-to-extracts and one fail-to-load.  I was holding the gun very tightly to avoid limp wristing so I don't think that was the issue.

But wait, it gets worse.  I went home and cleaned and oiled it a second time and after I put it back together I noticed a small black metal piece laying on the newspaper  :eek: .  I'm not too fond of "extra parts" when dealing with firearms.   >:( I have no idea what this is but I'm reasonably certain it fell out of the gun while cleaning.

I would say it's roughly 1/2" across.  Basically a square with two rounded corners and two sharp corners.  I'll try to get a photo up some time today.  This does not inspire loads of confidence in my new concealed carry pisto   :-/

Anyhow, should I send this thing in for warranty repair?  If so, just mail it to the address provided on their website?  Will they send me a prepaid label if I ask?

Thanks.

·
Registered
376 Posts
OK Mike, now you know what the mystery part is, a small dab of grease will help keep it from coming out again until you take it out yourself for the next cleaning. Check into some of the threads here in the forum on how to fluff and buff certain parts of your gun and be sure the feed ramp is polished to a mirrow like shine. Keep shooting, things will get better. :cool:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mike,

I heard that if you're not careful, that part #115 has a way of sneaking back to Cocoa, FL, where you'll have to come and fetch it. I chain mine to the trigger guard where it cannot go anywhere. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
flounder22 said:
OK Mike, now you know what the mystery part is, a small dab of grease will help keep it from coming out again until you take it out yourself for the next cleaning. Check into some of the threads here in the forum on how to fluff and buff certain parts of your gun and be sure the feed ramp is polished to a mirrow like shine. Keep shooting, things will get better.  :cool:
Well I'm glad to here my missing part is not a defect. I'll keep a close eye on that runner next time I clean the gun.

As far as the polishing is concerned, I think I'll let Kel-Tec take care of that. I'm waiting to hear back from them on a pre-paid ups label to send it in. From everything I've read their warranty folks to a real nice job servicing guns sent back for repair. Hopefully I won't be without it too long :'(

"Keep shooting..." - I think I'll need to wear a thick glove next time I shoot. The wound on my top thumb knuckle is still healing...

·
Registered
715 Posts
I have a new ejector coming from Kel-Tec as we speak. I disassembled it for some routine cleaning the other night, lubed and reassembled, loaded and placed back in my pocket. A couple of nights later I was reading a thread about peening. When I pulled the slide off, low and behold the ejector was gone. :-[

A call to Kel-Tec yesterday and a new one is on the way. In the meantime the 642 gets some pocket time. ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well my P3AT is on it's way to Florida as we speak. I'll give them credit for sending a UPS call tag so I could ship it free of charge. I'll let them fool with it and see if they can correct the FTF issues.

Any idea how long they usually take to get the gun back to you???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.