Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my P32 out to the range for its second day of shooting after Kel Tec "fixed" my 18-year-old Gen 1 pistol by sending me a brand-new Gen 2.

Today I brought along a couple of boxes of Lehigh Extreme Cavitator, and was thrilled that my pistol fed/fired it perfectly. At a $1 a round I stopped after 20 rounds, enough to convince me that it is reliable carry round. I'm thrilled at this news, since neither my Gen 1 nor my Seecamp were able to handle what I am convinced is the best self-defense .32 round on the market.

My only concern is that I'm hearing some people are experiencing rimlock with this round...which seems to defy logic, as its OAL would appear to preclude that issue.

I'd be curious to hear others' opinions. Worst case scenario, I'll put one Cavitator in the pipe and one on top of the mag, and will load the rest with Fiocchi Extremas.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I believe you can get rimlock with the 32 acp regardless of the OAL of the round fired. Seating the cartridges as snuggly as possible against the back wall of the magazine offers some insurance but no guarantees. With a semi-rimmed auto cartridge there is no way to completely eliminate the possibility of rimlock.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I hate buying guns online. The only time I did was when I bought a new/old stock Mossberg 4x4 model rifle in 243 Winchester from Tombstone tactical over a year ago- because it had a hard to find 24" barrel, a real action and it was only $280- so the $25 dealer fee wasn't bad. I enjoy going to the gun shops and looking around, that is how I found my Beretta 950BS - 22 short, pistol for $100 less than the Gunbroker prices. With so many retirees here, there is a steady turnover of small pistols. I'm sure a P32 will show up. I found a chrome Jennings J22 for $85 recently, looked to be VG. It's fun to shoot, but not a CC class weapon today.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I rotate my small pistols into this small size carry case when I go to the air conditioned indoor range- one of them has senior day- Friday 10am-2pm- 1 hour of free range time- if you purchase your ammo from them. The Taurus 380 TCP isn't really a mouse gun, unlike the P32. I have 100rds of 32 acp, just waiting for a P32. The TCP turned out to be too bulky for me for CC in SW Florida- up north, the colder weather clothes can hide big iron 6 months out of the year.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Since Keltec has never mentioned discontinuing the P32, just wear some patience until new supplies find their ways into gun stores.

That's my M.O. anyways. I never buy used guns that I can buy new for only $100-$150 more. I have the money set aside for another new P32 and I'll wait until October if I have to.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I believe you can get rimlock with the 32 acp regardless of the OAL of the round fired. Seating the cartridges as snuggly as possible against the back wall of the magazine offers some insurance but no guarantees. With a semi-rimmed auto cartridge there is no way to completely eliminate the possibility of rimlock.
I may be wrong, but I think the key is how the OAL of the round allows it to seat in the magazine you are using. As an example, Seecamps avoid rim lock by using a spacer, ensuring that you need to use a shorter round that will sit tightly in the magazine. By contrast, in magazines without a spacer (like the Kel Tec), you need to use a round that is sufficiently long enough to ensure the same tight spacing. Two different approaches, but in both cases you end up with rounds that sit tightly in the magazine with no wiggle room to drift over a neighboring round and lock up.

So we're back to the same question regarding the Underwood or Lehigh rounds...are they long enough to prevent unnecessary wiggle and thus avoid rimrock?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I experienced rimlock with the Underwood Xtreme Cavitators +P rounds, more than once. In reading about this within other KTOG threads/forums, the compromise seems to be loading an Xtreme Cavitator in the chamber and one on top of the magazine, with FMJ filling out the remainder of the magazine.

·
Administrator
32,246 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay, you've caught my interest. Not sure if this is beyond my gunsmithing capabilities, but were I able to put one of those together, what do I end up with? Now I've got a magazine with less wiggle room for the rounds, but what does that leave me? What rounds are now capable of being loaded into my pistol, and what rounds are no longer able to fit?

Here's a blast from the past. In one of my posts here is a link to making a Flyer Wire. They are simple, pretty much free, and they work:
https://www.thektog.org/threads/flyer-wire-installation-p32.229924/

·
Administrator
32,246 Posts
Okay, you've caught my interest. Not sure if this is beyond my gunsmithing capabilities, but were I able to put one of those together, what do I end up with? Now I've got a magazine with less wiggle room for the rounds, but what does that leave me? What rounds are now capable of being loaded into my pistol, and what rounds are no longer able to fit?
Generally speaking, JHP + a few FMJ rounds of shorter OAL will work with the Flyer Wire, which prevents rimlock. You can read thru this and other threads to identify the offending rounds. Short of that, test whatever rounds you are wanting to use. If certain rounds won't fit the mag with the Flyer Wire inserted, remove it. They don't need it. The wire can be inserted or removed in seconds. Someone recently posted a list of various P32 rounds with their AOL. This would essentially tell you which rounds can rimlock, and thus need the wire, and which rounds are long enough to avoid rimlock.

Since the topic comes up frequently, we should probably recreate that list and sticky it in a new thread this forum. I'm about to leave the house now. Perhaps later I'll look into that if Rick doesn't beat me to it.

Reactions: haugrdr

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
Be my guest Dale. :ty:

I'm awfully busy today, plus making a quick trip down to Cocoa to get rid of a trigger I hate in the subbie.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.