Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
More bad news. While cleaning my second (my EDC) PF-9, I noted the slide on this pistol has now developed a hairline crack in the slide, exactly where the first PF-9 slide cracked. I only have about 500 rounds through this second pistol since it is the gun that I reported on elsewhere as my "Project PF-9", and Kel Tec had to replace the slide and barrel which suffered from the "peening" problem. So both of my PF-9s are now down for slide cracking and will require slide replacements from Kel Tec (Haven't even had the chance yet to send in my first PF-9, as this one needs the entire pistol sent since I also note some problems with the frame rails.)

Guess I will have to start carrying my Kahr CW9 on an everyday basis for a while since neither of the PF-9s are safe. At least with the second PF-9, I will be able to hang onto the grip/frame and put the TI .22 conversion unit on it since its frame is fine.

Not an auspicious development.

Just got off the phone with Kel Tec this afternoon. Guy I talked to seemed rather clueless as to what is needed, what I should send in, etc. So I guess I will just write up a letter on the older PF-9, box it up, and send the entire pistol back for the techs to work with and hopefully replace everything bad. On the other, newer PF-9, will just send in the slide/barrel with a letter on the problem and hopefully, they can replace the slide (and perhaps the barrel) and get those back to me sooner. At least I can send just the slide/barrel via USPS. Not feeling too encouraged at the moment though-must be some kind of record, having two slides crack within two weeks of each other, since neither has been fired with anything other than standard velocity factory ball ammo and a minimum of standard velocity Speer Gold Dot ammo.

Jim R

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had the same issues and have since received a new gun with a suffix added to the serial number, I like KT but am leary of the pf9, may trade in for a p11, or maybe just lock it away and carry my gluck 26

·
Registered
63 Posts
U see the crack from the outside or inside?

Did it crack in same spot in both ur pf9s?

Both mine are new just want to keep an eye on that

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
U see the crack from the outside or inside?

Did it crack in same spot in both ur pf9s?

Both mine are new just want to keep an eye on that
On the second (newer) PF-9, the crack clearly goes completely through and is visible on the inside of the slide as well as the outside. Not so much on the first (older) PF-9. Both slides cracked right at the rear corner of the cut out for the slide stop and the crack runs vertically toward the top of the slide. This seems the most common area of cracking.

Jim R

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm not sure the word "disappointing" would accurately describe this or how I'm feeling about PF9's at this moment. I had the slide peening issue along with a nice little burr on my feed ramp. The problem has been corrected by Kel-Tec, but I've been hesitant to carry my PF9 for this reason and now hearing about two slide cracks... not exactly comforting. I realize that this was obviously a case of really bad luck for you, but the very fact that you experienced the same problem, twice - sort of like the chances of getting struck my lightening twice I'm guessing? Makes me worry about the quality of the PF9.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is not good news! Are there others that have experienced this issue??

Maybe just realll bad luck??
There are quite a few past threads reporting cracked slides, so this is not a "one time" occurrence. However, remember that even a a couple of dozen cracked slides is a very small number in comparison to the number of PF-9s sold/in use. Just my bad luck to have gotten two of them. I still like the PF-9 and have no problems with it as a CCW weapon, but they are definitely not "heavy duty" range firearms and once broken in, are (in my opinion) best "carried a lot, and fired very little". After all, even the Army's M9 Beretta had a lot of slide cracking problems for a couple of years.

Jim R

·
Registered
119 Posts
pf9newbie, what is the frame rail issue you referred to? I had a vertical crack through the assy pin hole is yours doing the same thing?

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
pf9newbie, what is the frame rail issue you referred to? I had a vertical crack through the assy pin hole is yours doing the same thing?
No, the very front of the left side alloy frame rail appears to be bent or damaged. No cracks or issues with the assembly pin hole area though, just the rail damage.

Jim R

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
we know it is a small pecentage that have a problem , but we do not know how many folks go to keltec that do not report any thing here , plus the number that are bought and just put in the gun safe and not shot

·
Registered
119 Posts
No, the very front of the left side alloy frame rail appears to be bent or damaged. No cracks or issues with the assembly pin hole area though, just the rail damage.

Jim R
mine was damaged on th rt side like the frt of the slide hammered against it, but below the top of the rail, shot the new one about 2 dozen times with no issues, this one is tight and polished up on the ramp, I really think a break in period is not needed on this one. I am curious how much beefier the p11 is in the areas that I have had issues, like thicker side walls of the frame rails and at the assy pin hole,

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mine was damaged on th rt side like the frt of the slide hammered against it, but below the top of the rail, shot the new one about 2 dozen times with no issues, this one is tight and polished up on the ramp, I really think a break in period is not needed on this one. I am curious how much beefier the p11 is in the areas that I have had issues, like thicker side walls of the frame rails and at the assy pin hole,
Remember, the goal with the PF-9 was to be the lightest full power 9mm semi-auto on the market and it pretty much attained that goal (and still remains one of the lightest). But to do this, KT obviously had to pare parts down to a minimum, including the frame. So it is not what most would call "robust". That is the trade off for small and light weight and still a major caliber. So an occasional part breaking is really no great surprise, and just reinforces the adage of "carry a lot and shoot a little.". That really, I think, is the PF-9s role.

Jim R

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One of them is already on its way back to Kel Tec, but will try to get a picture of the other before I ship it out. Not sure if a picture will show much though, since it is a hairline crack and might not show up well (none of my cameras do close ups real well).

Jim R

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Here is a close up of the slide from my 2008 PF-9. The crack is shown by the thin white line running vertically up from the rear corner of the slide stop cutout. Just a hairline crack for now, but obviously would continue to worsen if I continued to use the pistol, so it will be on its way to Kel Tec this coming week. The crack on the other slide is in the same place, but it is longer and more obviously runs entirely through the slide.
020.jpg

Jim R

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
I will check my slide every time I clean it and watch out for this.. PF9Newbie, is KelTec picking upt the tab for the repairs or you are responsible for it?

·
Administrator
31,976 Posts
I can answer that in two words. Lifetime warranty. ;)

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I will check my slide every time I clean it and watch out for this.. PF9Newbie, is KelTec picking upt the tab for the repairs or you are responsible for it?
As Txcajun notes, both PF-9s will, I presume, be covered under KTs lifetime warranty. Of course, I will have to pay to ship them back, given their ages, but that is pretty normal under most circumstances (unless they were only a few months old, then I would have expected KT to pick up the shipping tabs)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.