Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

After going cross eyed consulting google, I'm wondering if anyone has their favorite ways/favorite sites to search serial numbers and/or model numbers. I'm realizing that there are sooooo many variables and that different manufacturers websites are not all as user friendly when it comes to searching this stuff.
I don't plan on selling anything, but I am curious for insurance purposes, as well as just trying to uncover some provenance on some of these firearms I have that have been passed down in the family and everyone to ask is now dead.
If this is the wrong forum thread for this, I apologize, wasn't sure where to post it. This is my favorite gun forum where I feel the members are knowledgeable and friendly, and I don't feel condescended to because I'm a woman with questions, so I wanted to ask here! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
you might try going to a forum of the brand of firearm you have , most have a good knowledge base and are willing to help

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will continue to do that but was hoping there might be a bigger umbrella out there, lol. I have several different gun makes.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
There are sooo many gun specific sites out there. I start with google for any gun search. It will lead you to the info. Last purchase was a Mossberg 44US. Found a Mossberg owners site with serial # range, mine was made in 1941. You can get an idea of value from some of the online sales sites, gunbroker, guns America and others. If you got a tough one you can't find, ask on here. Folks are always ready to help.

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
+1 for online sales sites.
I'm a little more old fashioned.
I have a collection of firearm specific reference books.
I use these to narrow the models down, and learn manufacturing trends. Sometimes they include serial number range and production numbers, others give value ranges and some even have tutorials on how to gauge values.
I then take this information and tackle the web.
Gun specific sites, and gun sales sights.
But it's a lot more fun to ask all the friendly members of the forum their opinion.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
+1 for online sales sites.
...I then take this information and tackle the web.
Gun specific sites, and gun sales sights.
Me too.
It depends on if you want someone's :quote:Gun Buyer's Guide:quote: fantasy price or if you want to know what they are actually selling for.
I search GB completed items.
Ignore the know-it-alls that can quote the "book-value" of any gun.
The 'book value' is easily off by +or-100% or more (meaning if you can find one that's scarce, it'll cost you 2x book or if you actually sell a different model that there is no demand for, you'll get .5x book)....useless.
It's all availability and demand.
Take the Winchester model 94, 30-30.
An unfired mint-condition commemorative one won't fetch half what a well-used standard model will:
Model94_e.JPG
I'm sure the 'book value' on it is over $1500, but there is no demand:rolleyes:.
Very few have the heart to toss something that pretty behind the seat of a pickup.

Now this old guy, yeah:tu::
Model94_2.JPG

I'm sure the book value on it is in the low $500s:D.

moral: book value= useless.
Edit: more serial number and date lists:
http://www.nramuseum.com/media/940941/serialization-date of manufacture.pdf

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Speaking of book values, the Fjestad Blue Book of Gun Values has quite an extensive list of serial numbers by year for popular manufacturers. The digital version is less expensive than the paperback and also includes the serialization section.

Reactions: Pistolkitty

·
Registered
139 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You guys are awesome! I have no where to go today and no desire to be out in the cold anyway, so today might just be a gun research day! I suppose I should clean some of them too...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
You guys are awesome! I have no where to go today and no desire to be out in the cold anyway, so today might just be a gun research day! I suppose I should clean some of them too...:rolleyes:
Oh come on, the cold makes it that much more adventurous to go out in lol.

I'm stuck mostly at home, due to the wife's car battery dying due to the cold... She took my car to work.

If you want help with any of that research, shoot me a list via pm and we can see what we can tackle.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I have no where to go today and no desire to be out in the cold anyway, so today might just be a gun research day!
I'm stuck mostly at home,
If you want help with any of that research, shoot me a list via pm and we can see what we can tackle.
You guys make me
go crazy.gif
I'm so fortunate {NOT}:rolleyes: that my employer put a brand new 2017 vehicle under me a few months ago that runs...
in any weather...
with absolutely no problems.
It's completely networked and I can't even let the air out of a tire without getting tattled on:wall:.

Say goodbye to excuses
crying.gif
. (...so nice to be lovedo_O)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I don't feel too bad for you! 10 months of the year I work 60-70 hours a week- very physical. Get 2 months off in the winter. It's well earned. But too damn cold to shoot outside.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
You guys make me View attachment 34637 .
I'm so fortunate {NOT}:rolleyes: that my employer put a brand new 2017 vehicle under me a few months ago that runs...
in any weather...
with absolutely no problems.
It's completely networked and I can't even let the air out of a tire without getting tattled on:wall:.

Say goodbye to excuses View attachment 34638 . (...so nice to be lovedo_O)
My wife stole my car... and I COULD walk to any of the numerous restaurants or stores, literally right next door to me..
However, when I have a day off.....Working retail during 4th quarter....
Relaxation is a real thing... ;).

·
Registered
499 Posts
Well I don't feel too bad for you! 10 months of the year I work 60-70 hours a week- very physical. Get 2 months off in the winter. It's well earned. But too damn cold to shoot outside.
I remember those cold winters from when we lived in Ellensburg and my parents lived in Deer Park. Don't miss it at all. Spent Thanksgiving in a T-shirt and shorts and now it is still getting into the high 60's.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Relaxation is a real thing... ;).
I hear ya'!!!
Don't forget I will be pulling the plug in January for a week & 1/2 to go 'off-planet' to Aussie-land:yahoo:
9,200 miles away is far enough to keep me from being called in:D.
So yes, I will get a break. From freezing weather to 82° F
clap.gif
. I can't wait:).
Until then, I'll be pulling the plow:

(forgive derail)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Derail away! My whole day got derailed. Gun hunting turned into beer and Christmas cards. Sometimes I have to do mom/wife stuff....:confused:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts