Searching for info on Buffalo Bore ammo tests

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by ctaggart, Nov 7, 2009.

1. ctaggart

ctaggart New Member

Nov 7, 2009
    I can't for the life of me find any testing of Buffalo Bore .380 ammunition in ballistic gelatin or any other similar substance. Does anybody have a link for BB .380 testing?

2. gvaldeg1

gvaldeg1 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Here's a link to BB ammo tests not surprisingly from the KTOG: :)

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1202857757

3. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    Yep, that was a test I ran a while ago when BB was using Gold Dots. I don't buy BB anymore since they switched bullets without telling their customers. When Gold Dots become available again, I'll be using Double Tap instead.

4. gvaldeg1

gvaldeg1 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Thanks wheelguy! I didn't know that BB had switched bullets. I still have about 1 1/2 boxes of BB left that are marked Speer GD J.H.C. on the box. I think that I'll email BB and see what they have to say. If I find out anything pertinent I'll post it here. BTW: I assume that you meant UNTIL not WHEN. :)

5. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    You're right - actually, both until and when as I have lots of Double Tap with Gold Dots from last year, and GD haven't yet re-appeared. Gadz, I sure hope I don't have to set up a reloading bench just to keep my love of GDs satisfied :eek:

The owner of BB talked about his business problems regarding keeping GD in stock on a thread over in the Seecamp forum. He didn't seem to understand/care that some customers would notice/object to his decision to switch bullets. Although people who ordered direct from BB got the shaft, those who ordered through big outfits such as Midway got a refund.

So, decide for yourself - is selection of bullet important for a SD weapon? Do you mind if a manufacturer ships you something different from what you ordered, and then doesn't offer to make it right? Call me silly, but these things matter to me.

6. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    wheelguy, did you actually chrono the BB Gold Dots? If so, what was the MV out of the P-3AT. Forgive me if I don't trust what the guy from BB says anymore, particularly in light of the fact DT didn't get anywhere near the BB (alleged) velocities.

7. gvaldeg1

gvaldeg1 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    I got an email reply from Tim at Buffalo Bore. It's clear that he wanted to keep loading 380s with Gold Dots but Speer couldn't meet their own needs when the ammo crunch hit. Anyway, here Tim's (Buffalo Bore) reply:

"For years we made that load with the GD bullet, but when this ammo buying
    frenzy started, Speer could no longer keep up with their own bullet needs,
    let alone mine, so they quit shipping that GD bullet to me. Since then we've
    been using the Sierra bullet. It works very well.

If your box says GD on the box, it is likely an older box with the GD
    bullet.

Tim"

I may go to the new Hornady FTP "Critical Defense" round. It sounds like they'll expand in just about anything. Has anyone here tried them?

8. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    Yeah, there have been some threads on the BB Gold Dot issue - here and elsewhere. I don't want to turn this thread into a condemnation, just see if the BB rounds actually performed as advertised (in terms of muzzle velocity from a P-3AT).

9. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    I don't remember what their claimed velocity was for the Gold Dot, but the GD's main claim to fame is its apparent reliability in expansion with less tendency to plug up the center. I always saw beautifully symmetrical full expansion no matter what I shot it into.

Here are some numbers I ran last year compairing actual measured velocity from several weapons, including the BB GD in my chrome P3AT, from 12 feet if I remember correctly. Click on it a few times to make it big enough to read.
    [​IMG]

And, a pic of what they used to look like (3 different brands of GD .380). Notice that DT seals their primers - I like that...
    [​IMG]

10. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    BB claimed 1100 fps out of the P-3AT.  Your test is within 2% of that, so I would have to say their claim is confirmed.  

I too like the primer sealant on the DT - a nice touch.  I also like that DT uses the correct seater plug for the Gold Dot.  Notice how the nose of the BB is somewhat deformed on the rim of the hollow point cavity as compared to the Speer and DT loadings.

Last I checked DT is using StarLine brass on its other loads - interesting the stuff you tested used Winchester. My First Gen is decidedly allergic to Winchester brass.

11. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Hello,

My experience is that the expansion can be somewhat spotty, I shot loads in to water/wetpack with a friends P3AT and got consistant expansion with the Gold Dot, but about 2/3 were fragmenting and losing a petal or two causing the the bullet to tumble.  I tried the same loads in the Walther PK380 and all expanded rather nicely.  I looked at the bullets in the chamber and sure enough the P3AT was putting nice smilies into the mouth of the Gold Dot HP and the Walther wasn't.  Anyone else experience anything similar?

Thanks

12. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    The First Gens were known for smilies. Do you have a 1G or 2G?