Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Research done,

I'm staying with Federal Hydra Shok.

I've found no valid reason IMO to switch from Hydra Shok to DPX. I've tested the HS 100% reliable and I don't find the investment in DPX to be worth it.The Remington GS looked good but I can do without the increased recoil for quicker follow ups and it seem the HS's have better weight retention.

Am I missing something, am I crazy?

Thanks, Rob

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
IMO: If you are comfortable with it's performance, and your gun likes it, go for it.

I think if you went and checked right now, you might be able to find some HS in one or two of my mags. :eek:

DPX .380 seems to be getting very scarcer lately around here.

rcmodel

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
rcmodel said:
DPX .380 seems to be getting very scarcer lately around here.
That’s because the government is buying up all the copper to make pennies for two cents each :)

Wilson – who’s wondering what happened to his ol’ steel 1943 penny that occupied his sock drawer for so many years

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Too much emphasis is being made about ammo selection recently. It seems that there is a new post every other day. I'm convinced there are several Corbon salesmen on this board.

The magic bullet is the one that is totally reliable in your weapon and the one you practice with....

There is simply not enough difference between the premium brands to justify the hullabaloo about ammo that we've seen recently.....

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Two Pistol Packer said:
  The Hydrashok out of a P3AT, doesn't expand much more than FMJ, but at least you'll get fairly good penetration.

Packer.
Could you post a link other than these for comparison ?

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=104;action=display;num=1148670025

http://www.ktrange.com/articles/a10/a10-14.html

http://usrange.org/smf/index.php?topic=479.0

http://stevespages.com/page8f380acp.html

http://www.handloads.com/misc/stoppingpower.asp?Caliber=10&Weight=90

Thanks

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
No, I can't. All of the your links, other than mine, were tests with "UNCLOTHED" medium. I don't expect to EVER have to dhoot a NAKED BG, so I test with "CLOTHED" medium. Any test I would show you would be the same.

Most JHP ammo reacts differently with a cloth barrier than the bare medium. OH, The FBI has discredited Sanow's data.

Packer.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, wow did'nt mean to strike a nerve.

I posted after my research to see if someone could lead me to links to prove DPX is superior.
That's why I said "Am I missing something, am I crazy?"It seems to me the differences are negligible.

Hutch01 said:
Too much emphasis is being made about ammo selection recently. It seems that there is a new post every other day. I'm convinced there are several Corbon salesmen on this board.

The magic bullet is the one that is totally reliable in your weapon and the one you practice with....

There is simply not enough difference between the premium brands to justify the hullabaloo about ammo that we've seen recently.....
I agree, 100% reliability , shot placement, tactics and ammo from a good company.

Now we can let this thread die........

Rob

·
Registered
717 Posts
Hutch01 said:
I agree.

One thing I will say is that after shooting two full mags of the round I carry I practice primarily with a round that resembles the carry round.

I decided to follow the advice of someone who recommended shooting a dozen carry rounds from a fresh box, then carrying rounds from that box in the pistol.

Right now I'm alternating between carrying Remington GS and Fiocchi FMJ but willing to try out other rounds when I can find them at what I consider ballpark prices.

For practice I have been shooting Fiocchi and Remington 88-grain JHPs. From the tests recently done it looks like the 88-grain JHPs are also a very decent round that performs more like a FMJ than JHP. With 13" penetration in gelatin even if it doesn't expand it shoots very reliably and accurately.

Reliability of the ammo is what I consider the most critical factor, along with the reliability of the pistol. After that, I'd say shot placement and doing your best to stay cool and focused.

As long as you choose a good factory round, either FMJ or JHP, and your pistol is kept in good condition I don't think there's much worth in trying to argue which is the best ammo to use.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
# 1 - Reliability (it must go bang every time)

# 2 - Accuracy (Shot Placement)

# 3 - Penetration (You must reach vital organs to effectively stop)

# 4 - Expansion (AFTER all of the above, it's an added bonus)

·
Registered
449 Posts
There seems to be a distinct preference for Golden Saber and Gold Dots given the scarcity of DPX. What's wrong with Winchester Silvertips? They seem very respectable in the tests I have seen. Decent expansion and penetration for JHP. What am I missing? Are they too cheap or what?

And don't give me that what is your life worth [email protected] If that was the criteria, we should all drive around in a tank and never get out. ;D

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
I'm sure they're fine. Like the Fed hydra shok, they are an older design. I guess some feel that there is better stuff out there now. :-/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.