Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if this topic has previously been addressed, but upon cleaning my "wife's" new Chrome P3AT after firing about 50 rounds, I noticed some rather deep scratches that I think have just appeared on the inside, side of the slide. I tried to take a representative picture, and am somewhat concerned of the depth of the scratches. (any suggestion on how to attach a picture!) Has anyone heard of or experienced a similar situation? Thanks as always.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Look at the top sticky labeled Feedback and Announcements on the front page and you'll find a "how to post photos" thread there.

Some imperfections inside the slide are "par for the course" and perfectly OK, others? :-/

You'll need to post detailed photos for opinions.....

G

·
Welcome Hayes!

^^^^ Up there is the pic Hayes is trying to post. ^^^^

For some reason there was a %20 inserted into your link between the j and the pg at the end of the link. One trick to learn to post pics is to try and quote a post with a pic in it and look at the way the pic is inserted before re-posting. That is how I cleaned your post up.

Those "scratches" are simply milling marks left over from the manufacturing process. Kel Tec obviously does not spend time in the process to make these guns look like a Kimber. It is a trade off .... kimber.... lots of $$$$$ = pretty. Kel Tec.... rough finish...low selling price.

Those marks you are calling scratches have nothing to do with the function of the gun.

Clean, lube ... lube.... lube....and shoot it!

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
well, they are rougher looking than some, not than all though.

that looks better than one of mine....

so if it bothers you, you have 30 days to swap it out....

good luck in whatever you decide to do. on a side note, how does the guide rod hole look?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I look at the guide rod hole and it looks OK. I have seen some of the posts, but I think mine looks OK. Do you think I would be safe in sending in this slide for a new one without the machine marks as well as for one that has the guide rod problem addressed?

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
If it functions well, I would keep it. Many are like that and I have seen worse.
YMMV... :-/

G

·
HayesD01 said:
I look at the guide rod hole and it looks OK.   I have seen some of the posts, but I think mine looks OK.  

Hayes- How thick is the slide at the guide rod hole?

Dime?
Nickle?
It is hard to measure, but compared to some common item... how thick is it?

·
Registered
68 Posts
My slide has very similar looking tool marks.

Last night, while cleaning the slide, I found that looking through the guide hole while holding a paper towel inside the slide made it MUCH easier to see/judge the thickness of the metal. Mine (J9xxx) is slightly thinner than the thickness of a dime. There's a slight burr around the opening but it hasn't changed in the 200-ish rounds I've fired so far. Washers on the way nonetheless. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.