Scratch on underneath slide

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Bo_Bryant, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Bo_Bryant

Bo_Bryant New Member

Jun 7, 2008
    I was taking my P3AT apart to send the slide to Jack Fuselier to plate it. Since I had sent Jack my P11 slide and notice, when I got it back there was a crack all the way through the slide that I didn't see, I examined this one very closely (with a jeweler's glass). And when I examined it, I noticed a deep scratch on the under neath side of the slide. It wasn't a crack, but I knew something had cut into the inside of the slide. As I check for a bur somewhere that might have caused it, I found a bur on the corner of the right side slide rail.

I have had this gun for two years and one month. I have only shot about 2 mags through it in the two years that I had it. It is my daily carry gun. I am not sure if I missed this when I inspected and cleaned the gun at time of purchase or not. I am thinking that I did miss something. It hasb't been shot enough to cause that burr on the slide rail. However, I will take the dremel and buff it out.

Can't wait to get the slide back from Jack. He did a great job on my P11

Hope all are doing well.

Bo Bryant

2. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Bo,

The scratch on the slide was done most likely during manufacture of the P3AT. The aluminum frame by itself is not hard enough to put a deep scratch in the 4140 steel alloy slide. I hope the information helps:

Best Regards:

3. Bo_Bryant

Bo_Bryant New Member

Jun 7, 2008
    The bur I found on the rail is identical to the position of the scratch. I have honed it down and polished it. But it was the booger that made the scratch. Don't underestimate what a bur can do when it wants to!!

Thanks for the reply. Take care and go get rid of some ammo.

Bo Bryant

4. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    If I understand your description correctly, that burr is caused by the empty brass hitting the frame. It is normal and happens on most P3's. Also it will stop after that corner has been worn off, or smoothed in your case. Don't worry about it.

CJ

5. Bo_Bryant

Bo_Bryant New Member

Jun 7, 2008
    When Jack plates and returns my slide, I will take her to the range, shoot her, take her apart and check her out. It should be good to go now.

Bo Bryant