Scored nice P-3AT Freedom

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by rvehock, Jun 22, 2011.

1. rvehock

rvehock New Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Clearwater, Florida
    Crusing my local gun ads and came across this nice special edition P-3AT at an incredible price (half of list) and could no resist. Looks as though it has never been fired and came complete with ammo, not sure if I should break it in or just make it a safe queen??

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Kel-Tec_Collector

Kel-Tec_Collector New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    Nice addition ! Sounds like you got a great deal as well. If it was me, I would wanna break it in, but, don't blame you for making it a safe queen, if that's what you decide.

3. rvehock

rvehock New Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Clearwater, Florida
    I guess it would'nt hurt running 100 rounds through and zeroing the laser, sounds like fun.

4. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    It is a nice looking P3 and it's really your call. Do you need it as a carry gun or do you already have another P3 to carry?

As much as I love my Kel Tecs I really don't see them as collectable. They are a great "working man's" carry gun and I tend to treat them as such. I keep them clean and in top mechanical condition but I really don't worry about their looks. As long as they don't rust I'm happy with the finish. The only KTs that have gone up in value are the models they no longer make like the Sub9, P40 P357 barrel. As far as I know anyway.

CJ

5. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Well, with the laser  and clip on the gun you know at least one owner didn't view it as a collectible. I have a very high regard for the P3AT but to me putting that etching (or is it engraving?) on a P3AT is like putting lipstick on a pig. HOWEVER, I realize that there is no disputing taste.

Bill K.

6. lklawson

lklawson Well-Known Member Supporter

Oct 13, 2009
    Huber Heights, OH
    I thought that the laser was part of the Freedom Edition package?

On the other hand, there's the opinion that anything can be dressed up a little bit. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

7. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
  8. tomdickandharry

tomdickandharry Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Orlando Fl
    The laser and clip comes standard with the freedom edition. A while back cdnn were selling these for $350. An excellent deal if you were considering the laser anyway. I do agree that the big wording on the side isn't my taste, but these guns should stay out of sight anyways.

9. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Sorry, guess the laser could have been part of the package.

Believe it boils down to my not being a collector and just don't have a collector's mind set. Guns, bows, tools, etc. if I realize the item has been sitting around for awhile and not likely to be used it is time to sell, trade or give the item away. See, definitely not a collector's way of thinking. :) Yet I do know many wonderful and respected folks - family and friends - who are collectors of one sort or another. Just not my thing.

Bill K.

10. rebootit

rebootit New Member

Mar 25, 2011
    St. Petersburg FL
    I was wondering if the lettering is printed, etched, or computer cut as well? The laser and belt clip are stock. There are still some of these for sale through the distributors. One has them on closeout for decent price when you consider the price of the laser, belt clip and extra mag. It's not a collector like say a nickel colt 45 limited edition but it is a collector gun you won't feel bad about sticking in your pocket and actually using either. I just transfered a nickel 45 colt last week. The guy paid $800.00 over list and waited 2 years to get. The gun was a beauty! He said he always wanted one since he was a kid and planned on shooting it. I couldn't believe it! I mean the thing was a work of art. So bright it looked like a toy.

11. Toney_D

Toney_D Active Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Very nice!!! congrats on the new pistol!!! :)

12. rgrmax

rgrmax New Member

Jun 11, 2010
    West Texas
    Cool pistol! I say shoot it and carry it. I hope you never have to use it to defend yourself, but if you do, give em a taste of "freedom." ;) :D

13. Sounds like they are not selling like planed. 350.00 is a good deal with the extra mag and laser. As I recall new I think these things were like 600.00+ when they first came out.

14. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Guns America has one listed for $549.00 from seller Harris Sporting.

Gun Broker has an auction closed. Starting at $479.99 there were zero bids.

15. rvehock

rvehock New Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Clearwater, Florida
    Bud's has them for $437 shipped...

16. rebootit

rebootit New Member

Mar 25, 2011
    St. Petersburg FL
    List is $600.00. There are a few left here and there and best price and break even about anyone could do is around $420.00 so if you can get one under that you are doing great. Of course dealers are not in the business to break even so $450 would be a blowout sale. The $549.00 price is no sale price that's for sure. If you got this gun for $300.00 then you stole it ;D

17. JAB

JAB Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    East Tennessee
    I agree that P3ATs aren't 'collector's' guns.  I mean, anything can be 'collected' - I have considered building a collection of old, working but not 'valuable' in the $$$ sense single shot shotguns.  That doesn't really make them 'collectable'.

A role that might be better for the 'Freedom' is as what some folks call a 'Barbecue gun' - as in a gun that isn't so 'special' that you won't carry it but is a little more 'purdied up' than the usual EDC.  Imagine if you ordered a different grip from KT (or, heck, use the one that is on it) and had it and the laser body professionally done in red, white and blue, (have the design encompass the grip and laser body as one unit) maybe with a few stars here and there or maybe even with a small field of stars on the grip [handle.]  Polish the barrel/have it polished so it shines like a new penny.  Get a custom OWB holster (leather, of course) in a cool, related design - like maybe have your initials stamped/carved on it with a border of stamped stars.  Wear it in plain sight at gatherings with hoplophile friends and enjoy the attention the rig gets. Now, I am not usually one for making a carry gun look extravagant, for lack of a better term, but for something that would be more like a 'barbecue gun' and not an EDC, it could be fun.

My mom has a 'Lady .32' edition of the P32.  It has a rose engraved[?] on the slide as well as 'Lady .32'.  Mom likes things with roses on them but she also likes the P32 as a firearm so the 'Lady .32' is her carry gun - the rose just makes her like it a little more.  

18. rebootit

rebootit New Member

Mar 25, 2011
    St. Petersburg FL
    Hydrographic american flags! Now that would be different and KT should have done an extra special limited few like that. The laser can be dipped as well. Just cover the hole the laser shoots out of with tape before you dip or paint. I think I put a picture of my radical one of a kind laser carbon fiber one up in this board before. If not here is again...

[​IMG]

It's my daily carry and while nobody ever sees it I did it to see if it was possible and how durable the coating was. It's going on several months now and no wear to speak of. The few anti-gun friends I have even like it and one commented it doesn't look as evil.

19. rvehock

rvehock New Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Clearwater, Florida
    Looks familiar:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. rebootit

rebootit New Member

Mar 25, 2011
    St. Petersburg FL
    Hey that came out looking good. You never sent me the completed photos. Yours is the p32 right?