Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What scope and mounts do you suggest for the RDB? Price is a concern. I've been looking at Primary Arms Silver Series 1-6x24 SFP Rifle Scope (Gen III) Illuminated ACSS 5.56 \ 5.45 \ .308 Reticle $389.00 dollars. What quick detach mounts will work with this scope?

·
Premium Member
3,055 Posts
I love the leupold 2.5X FXII Ultralight in an Aero precision mount. 9.3oz., all the eye box you can ask for, hit 5 MOA. This rifle is not going to be tack driver so just accept a medium range optic is all you need.
The faster and lighter, the better. I love this combo. EMP bomb proof.
See where my scope is? I can move all up and down that stock and have a reticle I can hit with because I have a 5-6" eye relief.
Gun Firearm Trigger Rifle Assault rifle

Thanks for an excuse to show off my 'pup.
However, if a prismatic budget scope is your target, a Steiner M332
https://www.opticsplanet.com/steiner-m332-prism-3x32mm-riflescopes.html
or Primary ACSS are great scopes
https://www.opticsplanet.com/primar...ism-scope-illum-acss-cqb-m2-5-56-reticle.html
But realize this, for shorter eye reliefs within 3", you will need an optic you can move back to your noggin. The rail doesn't give enough length.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Building on what Iamscottasus wrote, I don’t think that this rifle will really benefit from a FFP BDC reticle although that is exactly what I’m planning on putting on mine to the tune of $900. I figure the maximum effective range of any 5.56 is 2-300 yds. What I hunt usually falls well below that range, and mainly I’m getting this scope because it has apochromatic lenses which sharpens up edges and colors meaning it’s easier to tell if I’m aiming at what I want to hit.

Basically, you should get what you want to get, and what makes you happy. 1-X magnification scopes can be used like a reflex sight if you have an illuminated reticle. I have a red-dot, but I think the one I purchased is better suited for a shotgun or PCC because it has a 3MOA dot and a laser. I could really do without the laser- it’s more annoying than it’s worth. I got it because it was 40mm- bigger is better- er.. and now I want a scope instead. Go figure.

·
Premium Member
3,055 Posts
I don’t think that this rifle will really benefit from a FFP BDC reticle although that is exactly what I’m planning on putting on mine to the tune of $900.
Is this thing top secret or something? Pet peeve alert: if you're going to say something nice or useful about a product, don't keep it a secret!
:ty:

·
Registered
530 Posts
I set my bullpup up for CQB and HD so I don't see the need for a scope for my purposes. I went with an Eotech 512 as most of my shooting is out to 50/80 yards max for the most part. I have done some 100 yard work with it though to test for accuracy and in that case, I threw on a Vortex 3x magnifier. It worked great but it did add a lot of weight to the gun, though with a bullpup it was negligible due to the weight distribution.

·
Registered
88 Posts
This is wearing a Primary Arms ACSS Raptor 1-6x. Runs a little under 500 bucks. It's a First Focal Plane scope and has BDC markings out to 600 meters. Pulled into 1x it can do double duty as a red dot, with two big caveats: you won't want both eyes open, and your cheek weld is not optional, as it will have an eye box that normal red dots don't. PRACTICE! Mine is setup as a rifle first, with CQB available in a pinch.

Furniture Jacket Couch

Gauge Auto part Speedometer Measuring instrument Tachometer
Room Steering wheel Photography Gas Metal

·
Registered
137 Posts
Is this thing top secret or something?
:ty:
Not a secret sorry, it’s so old I’m actually worried that this particular scope will disappear since Shepherd just released one that is similar with a different BDC reticle that starts at 200 yds, is 1-8x, uses a 34mm tube, and doesn’t have the more expensive apochromatic lenses. Apochromatic is a term more commonly associated with telescopes than rifle scopes- it is not a coating, it’s actually another lens. The scope I’m looking at is the Shepherd Phantom T1. The difference between a Shepherd and a Primary Arms or other BDC reticles is the use of 18” ovals on the reticle that allow visual estimation of range given the target’s proportions. I’m more used to the DRS series, the original Shepherd, with it’s dual reticle system, SFP + FFP with BDC- but no illumination (grrr).

Shepherds were originally built with Nikon lenses and imported German tubes. Then Shepherd was bought by Salvo Corp, a US company that makes lenses for satellites, Apaches, etc. I’m eagerly waiting for them to rework the old DRS series 1” tubes into more modern 30 or 34mm with illumination. Sadly, they have bent to the market and released the BRS which is FFP BDC stuff also available in Mil-dot. The only 34mm tube DRS is a monster 6-24x with no illumination.

I like largely unknown US designed and manufactured outside the box technology. RDB is one example. Shepherd is another. Dan Shepherd was thinking outside the box in the 70’s when he originally designed the DRS series and patented the 18” range finding circles on his BDC reticle. These sorts of things invite ridicule online and I end up sounding like a manufacturer rep. I also am finding it hard to justify spending as much on glass as I did on the initial purchase of the rifle. Then again, my wife just bought us both $1000 phones that I’m paying for monthly without my consent, so what am I waiting for (oh maybe I spent $3k on firearms last year so she’s just getting me back and it’s all my fault for not researching what a 10 cost before I told her she could get one, but I did say get me a free phone, and she did not)

·
Registered
88 Posts
The difference between a Shepherd and a Primary Arms or other BDC reticles is the use of 18” ovals on the reticle that allow visual estimation of range given the target’s proportions.
The Primary Arms ACSS Predator Reticle also uses ovals for ranging. In fact all ACSS designs I've seen incorporate reference points for immediate ranging.

·
Premium Member
3,055 Posts
my wife just bought us both $1000 phones that I’m paying for monthly without my consent,
Sorry, man. The fones are non-negotiable. Im just glad I don't have kids so Im not going through the latest smart fone torture. It would be flip fones or nothing. They would hate me. They might even sue me. Crulety beyond imagination. They can look up everything you can look up. Think about that.

·
Registered
140 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,055 Posts
This should be in your Almost There thread. No, I don't think PMs allow pics.
Im thinking of doing this but with Jeep Wrangler door strap footmans loops.

·
Registered
100 Posts
What scope and mounts do you suggest for the RDB? Price is a concern. I've been looking at Primary Arms Silver Series 1-6x24 SFP Rifle Scope (Gen III) Illuminated ACSS 5.56 \ 5.45 \ .308 Reticle $389.00 dollars. What quick detach mounts will work with this scope?
Did you mean the 1x8 (sfp)?
The 1x6 (sfp) is $289
and
The 1X8 Raptor (ffp) is $399

Also, just curious but why a QD over a light weight standard mount?

·
Registered
100 Posts
You're correct, it's the 1-6 (FFP) Raptor listed for $399

Has anyone checked out (or considered) SwampFox Optics Tomahawk Series yet?
They're SFP's in 1-4, 1-6 and 1-8, with two different available reticles and a price point similar to Primary Arms Silver Series optics...

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've heard some pretty good things about the Konus optics, though the OP did say he was looking at 1-6x not 1-4x

Having said that, I'd be torn between a 1-4x and 1-6x myself. Considering the RDB isn't a bullseye gun and given there is typically a cost difference between the two (which could be put towards more ammo...lol) is the extra 2x really worth it?

To complicate it even more there's a set magnification prism like the Primary Arms Gen II 3x w/ACSS....:)

·
Registered
100 Posts
For anyone who is on the fence between a rd and lvpo, take a look at SwampFox optics, there’s a sale going on thru the 7th, Free mount and shipping with any of their tomahawk lvpo’s, with their patriot scopes (which are not lvpo’s) you get the mount, free shipping and a 4” sunshade and if you just need (or want) a mount it’s 44% off with free shipping.

Also today only (The 4th) if you buy a Kingslayer red dot, you get their Liberator red dot free (as well as free shipping)!

There’s a thread or three on Arfcom including posts by one of the company reps (who apparently used to work for Primary Arms) that is very forthcoming with answers/info (positive and neg) and various vids on YouTube if anyone is curious, I will say everything I’ve seen has been pretty positive.

I’d have to say the biggest negatives I’ve seen are on the red dots, and that’s
1) Auto-Off after x hrs but no Auto-On (shake-awake)
and
2) The battery life isn’t as long as some others on the market.

·
Premium Member
3,055 Posts
Does ARFCOM take gmail registrations yet? Havnt been there because of that.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts