Scared to buy P3AT with no ammo available...Help!

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by devils_haircut, Sep 16, 2009.

1. devils_haircut

devils_haircut New Member

Sep 16, 2009
    I just put a down payment on a P3AT because there are NEVER any in my town. Not much of anything around here actually. I didn't want it to get sold while I considered it. That being said, I'm a little aprehensive given the total absence of 380 ammo here (and pretty much everywhere else). Would it be foolish to get a 380 with the ammo market being what it is? I don't have much problem getting ammo for my glock23, but it is a pain to CC. Advice please! Thanks...

~The new guy

2. RipRip

RipRip New Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Re: Scared to buy P3AT with no ammo available...He

Seems to me that 9mm ammo is starting to turn up. I would guess 380 and 9mm run on the same production lines and soon they will switch over to run some 380.

3. RAT76

RAT76 Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma

You can pretty much always find it somewhere on-line.

4. devils_haircut

Sep 16, 2009

In all actuality, I only really need a mag of self defense rounds and enough cheap ammo to break it in. I'm using "Need" in it's purest and barest form though, since I would "like" to get as much practice as possible. I just want to know if you 380 guys are viewing this as a short or long term problem. My big gun will still get most of the range fun.

5. devils_haircut

Sep 16, 2009

Rat76,
    are you a member of HDforums? Your name sounds familiar...nice bike too!

6. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006

Several gun makers have new .380s on the market this year and it looks like this cartridge is starting to become more popular. This will account for an increase of ammo sales and I'm betting that manufacturers will produce more to keep up. It won't take long for the ammo shortage to go away if I'm correct about this.

7. blue_drgn

blue_drgn New Member

Aug 19, 2009

My gun guy is able to keep about 10-12 boxes on the shelf. Note they are Prvi Partizan. but he has no trouble getting them. and I have seen a few boxes here and there.

- go for it!

8. Phokis

Phokis New Member

Sep 3, 2009

Keep looking, it took me a couple of weeks after I bought mine to get some ammo and found some last week.

It will come back around.

9. Rogereh

Rogereh New Member

May 22, 2009

We stopped in at our local gun shop yesterday to look for a new holster and I noticed that he had about 8-10 boxes of Fiocchi 380 on his ammo shelf. First time since early summer. He also had several different brands of 9mm. Two weeks ago I came across three 100 rd boxes of .380 WWB at Wally World (but no 9mm). Looks like ammo may be coming back to the shelves but it's still just a little bit here and there.
    ~ROGER~

10. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Active Member

Aug 6, 2007

This past weekend I saw gobs of ammo in almost all calibers at a local show (SW Ohio). There were a few near-bargains to be found, but most of the prices were still high. I bought 100 rounds of Independence 380 FMJ range ammo for $36 OTD. Prior to the run on ammo I was paying about that much, after tax, for WWB. Of course, those vendors with competetion in various calibers had the best prices.

Looks like ammo is showing up more. Prices will start dropping by late Fall I'm guessing.

I'd buy the P3AT. The ammo will show up soon.

11. longbeard48

longbeard48 New Member

Aug 31, 2009

I saw some Fiocchi at the gunshow Sunday in Tupelo, also some Hornady. I didn't note the price on the Fiocchi, but the Hornady was $35...not something you would practice with!

Panic buying has slowed up. I think the manufacturers will get caught up soon and you will begin to see some .380 showing up.

But... I fear that one word from the democrats about gun control would set off the panic buying again.

12. RAT76

RAT76 Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma

Rat76,
    are you a member of HDforums?  Your name sounds familiar...nice bike too![/quote]

Yep, Shovelhead.USa. Don't hang out there much anymore. Good site tho. Just don't have time.

http://shovelhead.us/forum/

13. devils_haircut

Sep 16, 2009

Rat76,
    are you a member of HDforums?  Your name sounds familiar...nice bike too![/quote]

Yep, Shovelhead.USa.  Don't hang out there much anymore.  Good site tho.  Just don't have time.

http://shovelhead.us/forum/[/quote]

I guess I'm not as cool with my twin cam roadking, lol.  After looking on GunBroker for ammo prices, I might have to sell my harley to afford a case of white box.  $150 for a box of 100.  Thats a buck-fifty per round for white box...???!!! Maybe I should just get a really nice holster and bigger pants to carry my glock brick instead.

14. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008

I'm not sure if this is true or not BUT . . . . A new gun shop opened up the street a couple weeks ago. The owner has been telling folks that the ammo makers are going to run a lot of .380 starting this December in order to meet the demand. If that's true, we're going to see the market flooded are at least well supplied come January or so. In KC the only ammo I'm not seeing in plenty is the .380. Even Walmart is getting in ammo that isn't sold as soon as the box is opened. Time will tell.

15. JB

JB Guest

I think you may have hit on the reason that, in a time of all-around ammo shortage, .380 seems to be the most scarce of the SD calibers.  I honestly think that .380 was on it's way to becoming a little-used, 'fringe' caliber before the P3AT and the upswing in interest in private, concealed carry brought about new interest by the gun makers.  Further, while .38 Specials weren't quite as marginalized, I think the same trends have renewed interest in SD revolvers for that caliber, too (.38 Special ammo - especially good, standard pressure SD and range ammo - seems to be almost as scarce, around here, as .380)  Although I think it will still be a while before we see a return of any real supply of .380 ammo, my hope is that when this all pans out and the proverbial smoke clears, .380 and possibly even .38 ammo will be sold (and produced) in amounts nearly comparable to 9mm Parabellum - meaning a possibility of the prices of such ammo moving closer to that of 9mm ammo (around here, 9mm range ammo seems to be 3/4 to 1/2 the price of the same brand of .380 range ammo.)

Of course, on the flip side, we also have to consider that - in addition to the run on virtually all calibers of ammo these last few months - there are also a whole lot more .380s out there, now, that will have to be fed.  This means that ammo manufacturers must overcome a 'broken' supply chain and meet at least temporarily increased 'normal' demands.  I'm thinking that in addition to overcoming the current shortage the industry, as a whole, may also end up needing to adjust the way it views .380 ammo with regards to long-term demand, production numbers and so on.

16. Rogereh

Rogereh New Member

May 22, 2009

I very much believe that you are correct about the growth of the .380s. My local shop has separate glass cases for the various calipers (9mm, 10's, 45, etc.). Last year he had the .22s, 25s, and 380s in one case. He now has a separate case just for the various .380s that he carries. I use to see one or two (sometimes three) 380s in the case. Yesterday he had maybe a dozen or more from various manufacturers. I also noticed that he has more used 9's, 40's and 45 than he used to with mostly no used .380's. And I know he's selling them because his inventory keeps changing each time I stop in.
    ~ROGER~

17. devils_haircut

Sep 16, 2009

I guess there are alot of people like me who, sad as it may be, are just too uncomfortable CC'ing a full size gun 24/7. The new 380's are a nice compromise for many who would other wise leave their gun at home. I ride a motorcycle alot of the time and IWB carry can get quite uncomfortable with my G23...YMMV however.

18. JB

JB Guest

I guess there are alot of people like me who, sad as it may be, are just too uncomfortable CC'ing a full size gun 24/7.  The new 380's are a nice compromise for many who would other wise leave their gun at home.  I ride a motorcycle alot of the time and IWB carry can get quite uncomfortable with my G23...YMMV however.[/quote]

I hear ya.  In TN, with the HCP, we can legally carry open or concealed but few people carry open - and I really don't want to do so in most circumstances.  If I could comfortably conceal/carry it, I would carry my Ruger P95 all the time - it is the only semiauto handgun I own that has never jammed, ever, no matter what kind of 'junk' I have fed it and no matter how quickly I have pulled the trigger and no matter how dirty or lacking in lubrication it might get.  Also, the sights are really good and a fifteen round mag fits flush in it.  Thing is, though, it is just too bulky and heavy.  I like revolvers (actually better than I like semiautos) but concealing even a small revolver can be difficult, for me, in shorts and a t shirt.  If not for my P11 and (on the hottest days) my P3AT or other, similar firearms, I'd be carrying a .25 auto as my primary in some instances.

19. vn6869

vn6869 New Member

Jul 31, 2009

JB
    Bite your tongue - a 25 auto - you didn't say that did you. Musta been a typo ;D
    And on the P-3AT form no less. Is there no shame. ::)

20. bergners

bergners New Member

Apr 30, 2009

Natchez Shooter has Speer Gold dot at $20.83 for twenty 90gr.
    http://tinyurl.com/nmbp5p

Steve