"Saying hello to my little friend" PICS!

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by streetprowler, Sep 1, 2009.

1. streetprowler

streetprowler New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    I went out to the range bright and early this morning with my new buddy: 3AT park'ed over OD green. I burned through 100 rounds of round nose Remingtons green box, ten Federal hydra shocks and four (non DPX) Cor Bons (I only had eleven of those and I wanted to retain seven for carry). The sights weren't too bad, although they do lend themselves to having one take his time. Next trip I plan to do some off-hand and snap shooting.

The results were excellent for this little pistol. Check the target. These were my last seven rounds.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    At seven yards, I loaded my mag with the last three Rems and the four Cor Bons. The top group (two o'clock high) were the Remingtons. The bottom group were the Cor Bons. Beautiful! I need to go back out and finish my break-in, but the pistol is functioning at 100% so far (no fluff'n'buff). I brought it home, cleaned it, oiled it and greased the rails, and it's in my pocket right now. I love this thing!

2. ctlover

ctlover New Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Re: Range report or "Saying hello to my little fri

Nice shooting for someone new to this pistol. I think you will get even better with more practice with your new "little friend". Welcome to the P3AT world.

3. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006

Man I always did like that black and OD look on a gun! Sounds like your pistol is performing very well and the fact that you're carrying it right now means you like the little gun. Those sights will get a little easier to use with practice, so don't sweat that too much, or if you do, paint them. Mine are painted and it helps tremendously.

4. streetprowler

streetprowler New Member

Nov 29, 2004

Yes, I saw someone had florescent green and orange and I liked the idea. - I may try that. I think this is a great pistol, and I have no regrets trading in my P11. I feel as though I "traded up," not down! :)

5. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008

Congrats on the new P3AT. As torrent said, you get used to the sight picture on this gun pretty quick. I have my sights painted with phosphorescent sight paint. The contrast really helps when your sighting on black targets and at night.

6. gordon11

gordon11 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2007

Thanks for the report, Streetprowler.  Like you I'm old to shooting and Kel-tec but new to the p3at and I'm also very happy with my new baby.  I actually found that I shoot mine better offhand.  That's something I can't say about many other guns.  Both Corbons seem to be popular amond the P3AT crowd.  I'm planning to get some DPX soon.
    Bill & Torrent,  how did you go about painting you front sights and what kind of paint did you use?  I painted the front sight only on my old .38 snub with model paint and a Q-tip with great results.  The P3AT looks like more of a challenge.  Thought I might need some experienced advice on that one.

7. streetprowler

streetprowler New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    No paint on the sites yet, but I stopped by my local gun shop and look what they had:

[​IMG]

And I thought that +1 extension was plastic! I was happily surprised to find that that it is indeed metal.  ;) Now to get it done up nice in OD green...

All rounds cycle well by hand. Can't wait to get it out to the range, put another hundred rounds through it and do a proper functions check.

Note to all who plan to install the +1 magazine extension: I had a bit of a time getting the "L" shaped base to seat properly on the +1 baseplate of the magazine. If you experience the same difficulty, be assured that this thing will work. I can tell you that (in my case) after about thirty excruciating minutes,  it will do what it is told. So before you throw the whole thing across the room, cursing the engineer who designed it, relax. Take a breath. Count to ten. It all fits as the instructions describe. Just keep fiddling with it until it all >CLICKS< into place. Then just try keeping this pistol out of your hands for the next hour...

Eight is great!

8. YooperP3at

YooperP3at New Member

Oct 12, 2008
    [​IMG]
    Here's my sights...Used a green paint pen on the rear and red fingernail polish on front.
    I did use a clear polish over the paint to seal it better.
    They've been there for a year now after 1000 rounds and multiple cleanings.

Welcome !!!!!!!!!!

9. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Nice shootin! I think the P3AT is the best product KT makes. Congrats!

10. eric55

eric55 New Member

Mar 13, 2009
    what kind of green paint did you use on the rear? where can i buy it?

11. vn6869

vn6869 New Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Pretty decent shooting. I'm jealous. :(
    Guess, I have to break loose and get more ammo and practice some more.

12. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Nice shooting!

Black/OD is my favorite color combo for the P3AT, like it even better than my HC/Gray which isn't to shody looking on its own.

Take care...

13. streetprowler

streetprowler New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    Thank you! Remember though, gentlemen, this was at only seven yards...

I'm going to make use of my new cache of ammunition and take it back out to the range. Functions check and accuracy check: I'll take it out to 25 yards and see how she performs. You might not see any pics from this upcoming trip...  ;D

Black over OD rocks! [​IMG]

14. belmor

belmor New Member

Feb 13, 2009
    I posted a thread in P11 about my poor man's night sights, maybe a mixture of that would work well on these P3AT sights, I plan on buying one soon and will do them when I get it

~B~

15. herbertj

herbertj New Member

Feb 1, 2009
    good shooting. 30 rounds is my max for a day.

16. streetprowler

streetprowler New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    Understood. Remember that I'm still breaking this beauty in. I plan to do another 100 rounds either Tuesday or Wednesday. I have yet to beak the pistol in, especially with the +1 Mag ext. I'm curious as to how it will perform. If it is not at 100% after this baby is broken in, I'll lose it. I just got my new belt clip as well - planning to test my carry configuration as well.