Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a black/blue p3at and I have a green/chrome one one the away.

I want to swap the slides between the 2 guns to change the looks of the guns, and may switch them back and forth from time to time.

Any problems with this? I will probally run about 50 rounds through each gun after the slide swap/

Both are 2 gen .380's

Thanks.

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
The whole point of breaking in a new gun is so the slide and frame wear in together and operate together in the future.

Swapping them back & forth all the time is a bad idea.

rcmodel

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
There should be no problem assuming they are both from the same generation. I wouldn't mix and match the barrels and slides. Since they have different finishes, you probably wouldn't either, but KT matches barrels and slides together to some degree.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think the biggest concern would be the barrel and slide match and not so much the frame.

I would think frames should be pretty much constant due to how they are molded. But barrels and frames can be different due to machining.

G

·
Reel:  I wouldn't do it. might not ever hurt a thing but if they both are running ok on their own grip and frame, just leave it alone. Slides tend to break in with the frame etc Every slide and frame rail to some degree breaks in differently.  Leave wel enough alone.  "shoot um like u stole um" ;D I would venture to guess that no two cnc machines can turn out the exact same slide or frames..

·
Registered
357 Posts
My P-3AT has a parkerized finish - but my barrel looks like it is blued. They do not have the same finish - thats for sure.

Do blued guns have blued barrels - parkerized guns have parkerized barrels, HC have HC barrels?

I really don't think I would care either way - my gun shoots just fine - I am just curious.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
There are no blued barrels. Blued slides come with plain unfinished barrels. Hard chrome and parkerized slides come with matching finish barrels.

·
Registered
357 Posts
When you say the barrel and slide are matched - does that mean they should be the same finish?

OR is it like - my pants match my shirt?

I understand that putting the same coating on two different parts could result in a slight variation between the two.

But my slide and barrel look completely different.

My gun is parkerized.

The finish on the slide looks dark gray - it may be black - but when compared to the grip or barrel the contrast gives it a gray tint. If I hold it up to the light I can see small - what look like metalic particles in the finish.

The barrel is gloss black - but just plain black - no metalic particles.

The texture is also different. The barrel is completely smooth to the touch - the slide is not.

Does this seem right? Or is my gun a hybrid?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Several months ago the bottom of the barrel on my 2nd Gen. P32 where it is machined out for the pin broke off. Mine is blue and the barrel was unfinished. I return the barrel only to Kel-Tec and they replaced it with a parkerized barrel. It functions just fine even though it is a different finish and was not "matched" with the rest of the pistol. I imagine it would be the same with a P3-AT.

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
  Theoretically, they match them up for the way that they fit together.

Even in CNC machined parts, there are size variations. Usually what they are matching to is not the frame, but how the slide and barrel fit together.

It must not be all THAT critical though. I have been known to switch barrels and slides between my 2G P3ATs.

Once, when I had problems with both, I made one good one (for carry) out of parts from both, and sent the resulting bad one in for service.

Packer.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
z71bill said:
When you say the barrel and slide are matched - does that mean they should be the same finish?
Yes. That is the norm. Except for the blued slide with the plain barrel.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
z71bill said:
I understand that putting the same coating on two different parts could result in a slight variation between the two.

But my slide and barrel look completely different.

My gun is parkerized.

The finish on the slide looks dark gray -  it may be black - but when compared to the grip or barrel the contrast gives it a gray tint. If I hold it up to the light I can see small - what look like metalic particles in the finish.

The barrel is gloss black - but just plain black - no metalic particles.

The texture is also different. The barrel is completely smooth to the touch - the slide is not.  

Does this seem right? Or is my gun a hybrid?

It's not a hybrid. I don't have the answer but it may be that the slide and barrel are different types of steel and/or the parkerizing treatment is slightly different on barrels as the heat up considerably.

I had a parkerized P-11 that was like that. I later had it nickel plated by Jack Fuselier.

·
Registered
357 Posts
per Kel-Tec web site - The barrel is made of SAE 4140 ordnance steel, heat treated to 48 HRC. The slide is also 4140 steel

The barrel is heat treated - which I think makes it harder & stronger.

I did not think about it at all before I bought the Parkerized gun - but I think I would rather have a plain uncoated barrel. The coating starts to come off the first time you shoot it anyway. I do like the dark colored slide.

·
Registered
858 Posts
"Theoretically, they match them up for the way that they fit together."

I would venture to say that any matchup is cursory at best.  Tolerances are pretty loose on these guns so unless you get a lot of binding or resistance or visible signts of extreme wear afer firing (talking extreme here), I would think you are ok mixing and matching slides.  On my 1G P3 I have a chrome plated slide (the one that came with the gun) and I also have an extra blue slide that I have made a point of highlighting the front sight for better visibility.  I have not tried the blue slide as yet but see no reason not to.  These are not target guns and KT's generous warranty encourages safe experimentation.  Just my opinion.

G

·
kraigster, curorsy at best, good choice of words there.. I would have to agree. When they put it together and if it fires ok in there tests, they probably consider that a matched slide and barrel, no more no less. I broke two barrels bottom lugs off of my 32 and all they did was replace the barrels and the 32 works great today ;D

·
Registered
858 Posts
jocko said:
kraigster,  curorsy at best, good choice of words there..  I would  have to agree.  When they put it together and if it fires ok in there tests, they probably consider that a matched slide and barrel, no more no less. I broke two barrels bottom lugs off of my 32 and all they did was replace the barrels and the 32 works great today ;D
Plus Jocster, KT mails out separate replacement slides, barrels, grips, etc. all the time.  They don't need them (it seems) to match "nuttin'."  I asked before I sent my ragged barrel in for a replacement:  

"Do you want me to include the slide too?" I asked. The response from KT, "Nope."

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The sawp has taken place and so far the results are decent!

My new frame with old slide work great! Just as good as before.

My new (chrome) slide with old frame is jamming 1-2 times per 20 or so shots. I think the slide being new and chrome (just a bit thicker, if any.. with the coating) needs a bit more use and it will be fine.

The new gun parts that were swapped were not oiled when the swap was made, after 70 or so shots I doused it with oil and it smoothed out a bit. After the next 20 it was really dirty.

I have cleaned up the whole mess (both guns) and oiled properly, I habe high hopes for tomorrow.

AWESOME GUNS. You are right, the dang things multiply! ;D

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
You can change the grips and leave specific slides. frames and barrels together, you know.

·
Registered
57 Posts
possumgravy/jocko:

Not to hijack a thread, but:

I did a search on broken bottom barrel lugs at P32, but did not find anything.

If you posted on the problem can you provide a link? My wife has a P32 that she relies on, and I would like more info. please. Especially on what caused it.

Thank you both very much,
Kennesaw

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.