Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of guns that were offered to me last week by a local I swap stuff with. The Sav. 99 is the one I was most interested in. He left them for a trip to the gunshow to see if there were any bites. I told him if I was going to swap anything for the 99, I would have to shoot it. I know he told me once that the gun had misfired or "something" on hm, but it worked for his son. It is a like new box fed Savage in .308 Winchester cal. I just had to shoot it cause of what he said. Actually the gun fires just fine. The problem is with the rough feeding from the detachable box mag. First round I tried to load hit the top of the riceiver. After that, I had to go slow and be forcefull to get it to go. Ain't nothing close to the old rotary magazine fed Sav. 99 I had in .300 Savage.That gun was quick and smooth on the reload.

Anyway, no one at show wanted it for 550 that he wanted. Most people that like the guns know the box mag guns have feed problems. It could improve with some tweaking of the mag feed lips & angle. Also the trigger pull is auful, much worse than the older model 99s.

He wanted to swap it for a Glock 17 I got last month. Now he wannts a Remingtion 700 in .270. Most of what he wants to swap for is so he can swap for something else he really wants. No one around here cares much for the 99 cause most people use bolt guns. He had the hots for one. It wasn't what he expected, so he doesn't want it now.

I think I will let him fester up a while. he will get fed up with it after a while cause he spent too much on it and no one else wants it here. So, maybe I can swap him somehing a little less expensive or desireable than one of my 700 Remmys. Just have to wait a while.

What do ya thing Wphil?

http://www.bersaforum.com/photo/sav-99-and-rossi-rifle-421.html

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I love the smoothness and the uniqueness of the older models. I really do appreciate the handiness of the .308 with a box magazine. If you can smooth up that trigger and get a couple of mags to feed well, it will make a really nice hunter/tactical rifle. I've seen two with scout scopes mounted (something I wouldn't do to an older model).

·
Fido for short
5,409 Posts
Moy Bueno Pancho,

You already know my feelings for the Savage 99,

Let me know when you ship it to me...
I will let you know when it arrives..
;)

Jim

Hope you can read it...:)

·
Registered
113 Posts
I ended up finally getting my grandfathers gun he had given me before he died. My grandmother demanded to have it back after and threatened to report it as stolen.

After some 40 years of not speaking, hearing how I had blown it up, she had no clue where it was and anything else she could think of....She pasted and low and behold it was in her will it was to go back to me and right where it was.

Sure wish I would have had it back when you could find .300 Savage ammo at an affordable price.

Karsten

·
Registered
160 Posts
A long-time friend of mine hunts with a 99 in .300 Savage. Loves it. His dad introduced him to the round.

The last surviving original member of the deer camp I belong to hunted with a 99 in .303 Savage. He killed a lot of deer with it over the years. He died in 1995, IIRC. The guy whose family owns the camp still has that rifle.

And to top all of that off, my FIL has a 99 in .308 Winchester. He broke down and put a scope on it a few years ago, as his eyes were getting older.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.