Same Round?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by BillK, Oct 14, 2010.

1. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Hi,

Going through one of my ammo containers I notice that I have two Remington boxes labeled differently but having rounds that look identical. A green/gold box of Remington Golden Saber HPJ High Performance Jacket and a black box of Remington HD Ultimate Home Defense. Rounds from both boxes are 102 grains .380. Do I have the same rounds only labeled differently?

Thanks,
    Bill K.

2. KelTex78

KelTex78 New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Remington is manufacturing/selling the Remington HD but they look exactly like the Golden Saber rounds; only the packaging looks different. My first guess would be that Remington is simply re-branding their Golden Saber in an attempt to get the buyers' attention in a market flooded with many newer defensive rounds. Probably trying to use their older existing product to compete with rounds like the PDX1 and other ammuntions that are getting a lot of publicity.

That is my uneducated guess and if anybody has reason to think otherwise, I would love to hear it!

3. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Hi,

Look at the box closely and see if mentions the word "bonded." Tthe new golden saber bullets from Remington have the cores bonded to the Jacket and have better performance than the older ones, i.e. no core separation problems in my testing.  My experience is that the bullets will expand out of the P3AT. I hope the info helps.

Best Regards:

4. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    :) OK, since you guys have been of no help I decided to go to the source...

Called Remington's Ammunition & Components Plant and asked what the difference was between the two rounds. Was told that they are identical except for the water proofing. The "Golden Saber" has better water proofing. I can mix the rounds and expect no difference in performance.

Bill K.

Ref: Ammunition & Components Plant
          2592 Arkansas Hwy 15 N
          Lonoke, AR  72086
          TEL: 1-501-676-3161