Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found a tiny bag for storing the PLR-16, and would like to store it without a round in the chamber but with the magazine inserted, and not just rely on the safety.

It appears that the magazine won't lock into place on a closed bolt.

Other than making the first round in the magazine a snap-cap, is there any way to carry the firearm so that its decocked with no round in the chamber while the magazine is securely seated?

·
Registered
30 Posts
It’s just not a PLR issue. We have that issue at times with PMAGS all the time when we used them fully loaded while inserted in our department ARs.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
FWIW, our department has lately been recommending (more like requiring) AR magazines to be downloaded to 29 rounds. Not sure if it's to avoid spring over-compression or to make mags easier to insert or whatever, but ... it's a thing here, at least.

Back when I had a PLR, I don't recall having had a problem with getting mags to insert/lock into place with 30 rounds. The only problem I had was getting the stupid thing to actually feed/fire/eject all 30 rounds reliably. Tried several different kinds of mags, ALL had malfunctions with that gun. Got rid of it, never looked back. My Zastava M85 NP that takes AR mags (using the same mags that choked the PLR, in fact) has never had a problem. Like, EVER. Roughly the same size, too ... but much, MUCH heavier. Oh well. A range toy either way. :)

Anyway, back on topic, if a 30-round mag won't lock into place on a closed bolt, try going down a round or two. Trust me, that single round or two will NOT make a difference if doo-doo hits the fan. I wouldn't bother with the safety at all. Keep it ready for use with mag inserted, bolt closed, safety off, and you'll be fine. I wouldn't chance carrying it mag in, round chambered, safety on because I don't think it's drop-safe by any means. Heck, a lot of rifles or shotguns aren't drop-safe, either, hence the reason most are carried in LE and military applications with a loaded mag and empty chamber. (FWIW, for my department, stunbag and live-round shotguns are kept in the car chamber empty, loaded tube, safety on, rather than the typical "cruiser ready" of chamber empty but safety off and trigger pulled. Rifles are mag inserted, chamber empty, safety on. In both cases, it's unnecessarily awkward and I don't like it, but I don't get to make the rules, sooooo...)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts