Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shot my RFB for the first time yesterday and found that the factory mag would not allow the rifle to feed if there were more than 2 rounds in the mag. Unfortunatly it was the only mag I had with me so I just loaded 2 rounds at a time to set up my optics and get the gas system adjusted. Love this rifle !!! When I got home and cleaned it , I threw a fully loaded polymer mag from my RRA LAR-8 in it and hand cycled everything thru it without any issues. I apparently got a bad factory DSA mag. Any reason why it would be unsafe to run the polymer mag in my RFB ? I put a call in to Kel Tec this morning but noone has called me back.:(

·
Registered
350 Posts
Run it. I haven't found any problems with them. :cool:

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
The RRA polymer LAR8 mags are made by Thermold. I only have one metal surplus mag that came with teh RFB, the other 7 I have are thermolds and they work just fine... Just ran 100 rounds thru them yesterday:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have two of the RRA LAR8 mags for my RFB & they do not lock into place. Not even with the bolt locked open & no rounds in the mag! Pretty disappointed!

Not sure what is wrong with my LAR8 mags!

Regards
gunnutjay

·
Registered
40 Posts
This sounds similar to my problem where even rounds would not feed properly. I sent my RFB back to Kel-Tec. Since then I have heard other people having the same problem, so I know (and you know) you are not alone. Not sure if it is the mag or something in how the rounds are chambered.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Lar mags

Many of the LAR-8 Thermold Mags are inch pattern, you might want to check them. :cool:

·
Registered
27 Posts
to me, my thermolds were more reliable than my metal mags since the floor plates never wiggled loose like the metals

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Many of the LAR-8 Thermold Mags are inch pattern, you might want to check them. :cool:
That is interesting, the first I have heard of it, but they do say inch on their website now that I just looked back at it... I didn't realize the LAR-8 can accept both inch AND metric pattern mags.

That is ok, you can get the FN/FAL-M(M for metric) mags from thermold directly(still have a special buy 3 get stripper clip speedloader for free $60) or Cheaper than dirt or any other number of suppliers...

·
Registered
514 Posts
I thought the only difference between inch/metric mags was the locking lug in front. The inch pattern is much larger and wont fit in a metric receiver like a RFB. Metrics however will fit a inch patter receiver.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If the LAR-8's are like the Bushmaster from which it was derived, it should accept inch or metrics. I don't know what the polys are modeled after though.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
If the LAR-8's are like the Bushmaster from which it was derived, it should accept inch or metrics. I don't know what the polys are modeled after though.
The poly mags are made by Thermold. They make the mag in both inch and metric.

FN/FAL-M Is the metric patern P/N
FN/FAL-1 Is the inch patern P/N

1 - 14 of 14 Posts