Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I've had my RFB for a while now and all I've shot through it has been brass ammo.

I'm getting ready to buy some more and I see the russian ammo (wolf, tula, Barnaul) is quite a bit more affordable for plinking.

I've been doing some research and I like the Barnaul Brown Bear, which is a steel case encased in brass.

The reason I'm asking is because I see in the box I got the RFB in, there is a note about non brass ammo not being recommended.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Hi Guys,
I've had my RFB for a while now and all I've shot through it has been brass ammo.

I'm getting ready to buy some more and I see the russian ammo (wolf, tula, Barnaul) is quite a bit more affordable for plinking.

I've been doing some research and I like the Barnaul Brown Bear, which is a steel case encased in brass.

The reason I'm asking is because I see in the box I got the RFB in, there is a note about non brass ammo not being recommended.

Thanks
I have been shooting the Tula for a bit now and it shoots pretty good...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Same here. Mine loves Tula ammo. I was acually kinda shocked that I didnt need to adjust the gas system at all for it to run

·
Administrator
31,975 Posts
That would answer the question for me. ymmv.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That would be true, you'd think, but every review I see on youtube and read in a magazine, they say the RFB ate all the ammo they fed it, and I read on these boards how people have much success with non brass ammo that I thought I'd ask, maybe someone knows why keltec started saying this now, was it CYA?

·
Registered
387 Posts
My RFB won't deal with Monarch (Prvi) steel-cased well in my case. I've not tried Wolf/Tula, since a reload, so it's not economical for me. I tried Monarch since it was locally available and I was being lazy; I just load more ammo now. I have a first-gen RFB, and my HS was corrected by the factory. Sometimes Monarch/Prvi steel-cased will lodge in the chamber, and I have to tap it out with a long brass cleaning rod, even with the gas system adjusted for maximum force. YMMV.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well if you are looking for cheap ammo I would stay away from the older surplus stuff. I have not had great luck with any surplus 308 in my RFB. I have had to turn the gas system all the way up and I doesn't shoot accurate at all with surplus ammo. At least with me behind the trigger.

Like everyone else has said I have heard the Tula works decent.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Russian ammo in RFB

Just a couple of observations. Brown Bear (and older Wolf) uses a lacquer coating on their cases (or at least a batch from 2010 did) and that can melt and build up in the chamber causing extraction problems, under some circumstances. Wolf and Tula use a polymer coating that does not seem to have the same problem. I have had no problem with 147gr NATO surplus (German DAG), but accuracy was only so-so (but adequate for a carbine-2-3 MOA).

For plinking with an RFB you might look at Wolf Military Classic 168gr as the heavier (and longer) bullet seems to take better advantage of the barrel's twist rate - the last batch I bought ran about $0.50 a round delivered and was 2011 manufacture. If you are a reloader, there have been a number of posts about both 168gr and 175gr loads for the RFB.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts