Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a new RFB! Is it safe to dry fire it? Or should I use snap caps? Couldn't find any mention in the User's Manual of dry firing. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Just got a new RFB! Is it safe to dry fire it? Or should I use snap caps? Couldn't find any mention in the User's Manual of dry firing. Thoughts?
A couple of us that dry-fired ours a lot had the firing pin break. Like dry-firing it for a couple of years:rolleyes:. It's ok to dry-fire it, just not a whole lot. Since the gun is so different from conventional rifles, having snap-caps to practice with would be a good idea.
Many people discover that they don't shoot it well because it holds so much differently than a regular one. It takes some getting used to.
But once you do....:D.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Dry firing for normal maintenance reasons should be fine. If for other than that, why are you dry firing it? The only reason IMO for sustained dry firing is if you are practicing precision marksmanship. You know, for long distance "hunting" or competing in the type of matches where the scores are all perfect and the winner is chosen by the "X" count. I have dry-fired thousands of rounds with NM M1A and M1Garands in this persuit. The RFB will never be capable of that type of precision, so I don't see the point of repeatedly dry-firing the RFB. Want to improve your RFB trigger control, shoot more handgun:)

As always my .02

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some of my own personal reasons for dry firing:
1) New gun, just got it, want to check out that trigger action prior to the range!
2) Want to function-test the gun with various magazines.
3) Want to practice inserting magazines into the gun, pulling the trigger, manually cycling the action, dropping the magazine (such as might be done in the event of some failure to load or other jam, etc) followed by insertion of another magazine.
4) Want to practice some close quarter type drills without live ammo.

Maybe I’m all wet, but I want to be able to safely pull the trigger without using live ammo.

Thanks for ya’ll’s input!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm one of the lucky few that's broke a pin haha, have to concede that it was me, not the guns fault. Picked the gun up in February, and didn't get to the range till April. Probably dry fired 2000 plus times in practice like you mentioned. Somewhere in all that I noticed only once that when I racked the slide it didn't reset the trigger, and I think that's when it broke the pin. I thought breaking firing pins was a thing of the past, I was wrong, haha. I got two new ones for less than $20 shipped, and she's running fine now. RonMar and others have good advice on the rfb, she is a different animal than your used to, but fun to learn.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got a couple A-Zoom snap caps in the mail today. (Love that Amazon "two-day" shipping!) So now, I'm a happy camper, cause I can finally pull the trigger prior to a range visit! The trigger, to me, seemed crisp and clean. Definitely not a light trigger, but reasonable for what I consider to be a "battle" gun.

Thanks to everyone for your input! That's what makes for a great forum!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.