safe carry

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by slowroller, Jan 17, 2008.

1. slowroller

slowroller New Member

Jan 8, 2008
    I have been carrying my new p3at for a week now (this is my first pistol) and was wondering if it's safe to carry with one in the chamber. I read somewhere that it is impossible for the p3at to go off without pulling the trigger completely…Is the hammer not under tension when one is chambered? Sorry if this is elementary but like I said this is my first pistol...

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Welcome to KTOG

Carrying with an empty chamber is the way to become comfortable with ANY new pistol. Once you are familiar with it in or pocket (or where ever) and you do nothing to get your finger in the trigger by accident, then you are ready to carry chambered.

The best way to carry is chambered, but be sure YOU are comfortable doing so The hammer is at a reset position, when you pull the trigger you are cocking the hammer. In the very remote possiblity the hammer falls from the reset it should not fire

How does yours shoot?

3. Citorishotgunner

Citorishotgunner New Member

Jan 11, 2008
    Slowroller,

Congrats on the P3AT. I too am a new KT owner this week; however, this isn't my first firearm by any longshot. I purchased a P32 a little over a week ago, and am really impressed with this pistol.

Anyway, I haven't yet carried with one in the chamber of my P32 and I have carried concealed for quite a while. I too advise to carry it with the chamber empty for a little while until you get use to it, then you can start carrying with a round in the chamber. By the way... how are you carrying (inside the pocket, inside the wasteband, etc)? I urge you to get a good holster whatever you do. If it's inside the pocket, which is how I carry, I just got a holster from www.pocketholsters.com for inside the pants and really like it. The reason for a good holster is that it covers the trigger while carrying, especially if you do indeed carry with one in the chamber. This is just added protection from something getting caught in the trigger that may cause the weapon to discharge.

Congrats and good luck.

4. erikswindlehurst

erikswindlehurst Banned

Jan 5, 2008
    No, even if the hammer falls off the hammer block, which is very, very unlikely, the hammer won't have enough speed/inertia to overcome the firing pin spring and fire the round. Part of the P3AT's safety mechanism IS the long and relatively hard trigger pull. The hard part of the pull is transferring the energy from your finger to the hammer spring to get it to the fully c0cked position before falling. I recommend "playing" around with your pistol to observe this action, but please be careful. And use a snap cap since KT's shouldn't be dry fired with an empty chamber. It buggers up the threads on the extractor/spring bolt and can make it difficult to remove in the future.

5. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    There are only 2 weapons that I will put in a SmartCarry pouch. My P3AT and my light weight revolver. I consider those 2 safe enough for that location because of the trigger mechanism design. My Kahr or Glock are wasteband or perhaps ankle only guns.

6. slowroller

slowroller New Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Thanks for the info guys; this makes me feel a lot better about carrying with 1 in the chamber...
    I haven’t even shot it yet; I have just finished my F&B getting ready for the range Saturday.
    I made me a pocket holster from the zippered carrying case; I have been using this all week trying to get the feel of carrying. I'll check out the pocketholsters.com also, here is a pic of the one I made.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thanks again for all the info....

7. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Besure to use a dab of grease on the
    slide to frame rails
    hammer face and slide center rail
    the barrel lug to assembly pin

Also, be sure to release the trigger completly every shot. If you only release it part way (till you feel first click) the trigger will not draw the hammer back, just release it from reset. You will get a hammer click,but it won't fire. You will then need to rack the slide again to reset the hammer

8. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    [​IMG]

You know, maybe KT ought to give up on that zippered bag and start including these with their pistols. That is NICE.

-Scott

9. Swissyankee

Swissyankee New Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Welcome Slowroller, I'm pretty much a noob too and this was my first gun I've ever owned. I was carrying it without one round in the chamber for about two months untill I felt comfortable with it being on my person. Now a days I have it chambered 24/7. My biggest angst besides shooting a BG is loosing it, even though I can feel the weight I'm always brushing my hand by it to make sure she still there. Just make sure you get a good holster that fits your life style and everything should be A O K.

10. RandyP

RandyP New Member

Dec 23, 2007
    I would submit that the P3s, and many others are sometimes not exactly the easiest, fastest semi-auto handguns to bring into action from an empty chamber. At the range, perfectly calm, just target shooting.

In an actual SD scenario (the reason many folks want to CCW) I want my decision making and actions to be limited to draw, point and shoot. With my 1911A1 I'd add click off the safety from cocked and locked) Once the Utah CCW arrives , and of course only in those States where it is valid (not my home State by the way) I expect I'll carry only handguns that can be brought along with a loaded chamber.

11. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Yes. I carry chambered all day (waking hours, of course), everyday, everywhere - in a pocket holster. I would not do so without a proper holster that protects the trigger, though some will disagree.

You might try this idea that was given to me when I first got my CCW license. Put a piece of tape on a snap cap and chamber it. Carry it for a week or two as you normally would and periodically check to see if the tape has been pierced by the firing pin. It wont be. I did this only for a day or so and it was a confidence builder. Been carrying chambered every since.

Oh, nice holster! You did a great job with it! I really have to give that a try. Is that the third one similar to it posted in the past few days?

12. lagerbrewer

lagerbrewer New Member

Dec 20, 2007
    You might try this idea that was given to me when I first got my CCW license. Put a piece of tape on a snap cap and chamber it. Carry it for a week or two as you normally would and periodically check to see if the tape has been pierced by the firing pin. It wont be. I did this only for a day or so and it was a confidence builder. Been carrying chambered every since.

[/quote]

What a great idea for us new CCW people! I'll try that. I carried unchambered for a couple weeks, and now I carry chambered all the time. I am still dealing with the mental aspect of having the muzzle pointed at the person sitting across the table from me. Namely, the woman I love. I try to shimmy it downwards when we're across from one another, and I know the thing won't fire, but still it seems like a disrespectful situation to put the other person in (even through they don't know it's happenning). Maybe I'm just weird, but I think about this a lot.

13. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    NOT WEIRD!!!!! Congratulations on your excellent "muzzle awareness". I'm hoping you NEVER get casual about that. WAY too many folks are not that aware. Myself included. One of the reasons I carry over my right hip pocket. :D

14. I carry with one in the pipe pretty much 24/7, and have done so since day one.

I will not carry without a good holster protecting the trigger.

I do carry IWB and Smart Carry at times.

At times, I have a .40 cal pointing at what my gradnson calls a "PP".

Do I think about it alot... you bet your arse I do.

Do I worry about it? Not at all.

I practice the basic priciples of gun safety.

15. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    One in the pipe is fine for these little guns. I carry that way, but always with the trigger covered. Just my .02...

16. slowroller

slowroller New Member

Jan 8, 2008
    I,m thinking about getting a holster from www.pocketholsters.com I think the leather may be a bit safer for the trigger..
    Idid post the pics the other day in another thread. I have been carrying this one all week and it seems to work pretty well.

17. Citorishotgunner

Citorishotgunner New Member

Jan 11, 2008
    Nice job on the holster. I like it. I think you will like the leather holster too from pocketholsters.com They were very quick with my order, and the anti print panel is removable (also a plus). I have been carrying my P32 all week in it and feel very comfortable with it. It's very durable and the leather does protect the trigger very well.

18. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    You totally rock, dude! A topic many probably think about, but may be too :-X to speak up.

This is something many of us have to consider with the P3AT - as it is the ideal pocket carry. Even though it is safe, it is IMHO disrespectful - and poor combat planning to boot. Nobody is going to draw well from a pocket carry while seated. Most of my day is spent seated somewhere anyway, so I just ankle carry most of the time. The $35 Desantis fits my P3AT with laser as well as my Kahr PM40 with laser (after cutting a few threads). There's even room for an extra mag: http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=675219&t=11082005

19. lagerbrewer

lagerbrewer New Member

Dec 20, 2007
    You totally rock, dude! A topic many probably think about, but may be too :-X to speak up.

This is something many of us have to consider with the P3AT - as it is the ideal pocket carry. Even though it is safe, it is IMHO disrespectful - and poor combat planning to boot. Nobody is going to draw well from a pocket carry while seated. Most of my day is spent seated somewhere anyway, so I just ankle carry most of the time. The $35 Desantis fits my P3AT with laser as well as my Kahr PM40 with laser (after cutting a few threads). There's even room for an extra mag: http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=675219&t=11082005[/quote]

Thanks, man.

I've thought about ankle carry, but I always thought it would be tough to get to in a hold up situation which is the most likely for me to get into since I work in the city. With pocket carry I figure I can at least act like, "Ok man, let me give you my wallet." as I get my p3at from my pocket instead. You're right though, it's a no-go from a seated position, and I always wear jeans. (which seem to have more difficult pockets than pants.)

20. glenspalding

glenspalding New Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Nice job on the holster ;D ;D ;D ;D