Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been saying this for at least a couple of years: Smith & Wesson needs a mid-sized pistol to really compete with Glock (and now the Sig P320, and the CZ P10) for those of us who want something with a shorter grip than a full-size for concealment purposes, but still big enough to get all your fingers on it. Up until now, all they've had is the full-size M&P and M&P Compact, which is basically Glock 26-sized (12+1 capacity in 9mm). For something sized between the two, only the SD9VE/SD40VE has actually fit the bill ... and that thing has a totally different trigger setup than the M&P's. The SD pistols don't have a TERRIBLE trigger, per se - I've managed to do fine with mine - but even with an Apex trigger kit, it doesn't compare to the M&P triggers, especially the new M&P 2.0 trigger.

Well ... looks like they finally got off their collective butt and did the right thing:

Holds the exact same number of rounds in 9mm and .40 S&W form as the equivalent-sized Glock 19 and 23, respectively (that is, 15+1 of 9mm and 13+1 of .40), and has basically the same dimensions, but has a grip that isn't shaped like a 2x4, has a stainless slide PLUS a durable Melonite coating, has a lower MSRP, AND is made in the USA. Heck, the new M&P 2.0 Compact even comes with two magazine adapter sleeves so you can slip them onto full-size 17- or 15- round 9mm/.40 mags and smack 'em in there - VERY smart extra to include in the box.

And here I was, about to sell my Gen3 G19 and go buy a Gen4 G19, though I'd been putting it off for a bit. Looks like procrastination paid off for once. Now, if I can just get my hands on one locally...

Anyone else excited a tiny bit?

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Obviously, the M&P isn't designed to accept Glock magazines. Unless, of course, you're referring to those 33-round Glock "happy stick" mags, in which case there are companies making extra-long mags and extensions for factory S&W mags, so the capacity issue is kind of a moot point there.

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unless it's the 15-round mag made for ridiculous states with a 15-round mag limit (Colorado and such), it probably won't fit. The 15-round mag for the compact is shorter and thus it won't go far enough up into a full-size grip (such as on the Sub2000) to lock into place. You can, however, put a full-size mag into the Compact model - you can always go longer, not shorter. Unless, of course, you start cutting the grip shorter with a Dremel tool or something... :D

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I still have the SD9VE that was mine when new, then my uncle's, then mine, then my gal's, and now it's mine again. (Which makes me, what ... the 5th owner? :D ) With the Apex trigger upgrade and a set of rubberized Talon grips, it's quite pleasant to shoot, and it's functionally given me no problems at all ... but it's still no M&P. It doesn't do the annoying "auto-forward" thing when you smack a magazine into it, though, which is something I'm glad that they fixed on the M2.0's. Size-wise, the grip of the SD9VE is actually a tad longer than the M2.0 Compact, but it also holds an extra round (16+1 instead of 15+1), though it's still shorter than the 17-round full-size M&P. All of 'em take the same aftermarket sights, though, so that's a bonus for me - just need to find a cheap source for a couple of tritum front sights (no rear ones - I just black 'em out), and I'm good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.