Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went shooting this morning. Cold, windy, overcast ... pretty terrible conditions. But a bad day shooting is always better than a good day at work. :D

Took my new-to-me Ruger P89DC out for the first time to give it a good function test before giving it my "reliable enough to carry" stamp of approval. First mag, just about every round resulted in it dropping the magazine. After about the 3rd time, I put that mag aside and tried the other one. Same problem. If I held the gun with a goofy tea-cupping type grip just to keep the mag in place, it fed and fired everything perfectly well, but if I tried holding it normally or even one-handed, it would drop the mag every single time I fired. :(

I've had a P85 Mark II before this, and it never once dropped a mag on me, nor did it even so much as hiccup no matter what I put through it. I've never have any issues with any other pistol dropping mags on me like this, either, so it's not a matter of how I'm holding it (actuating the mag release on a P89 takes a pretty deliberate effort). Ruger P-series pistols are pretty famous for being built like tanks and having darn near revolver-like reliability, so I was pretty surprised (and disappointed) to experience ANY kind of an issue with this one, especially considering how well-maintained it appeared to be when I got it. Of course, this is why one should ALWAYS test-fire their guns before trusting them with their life, no matter what brand or model or even what type - it's a machine, and machines can and will fail from time to time (because they're made by humans :D ).

Only thing I can figure is that it's a worn-out or modified mag catch, because pulling off the grips and examining it, the catch looks like it's either been attacked with a coarse file by a previous owner or it's just plain chewed up from countless mag changes. The spring still feels plenty strong because it has PLENTY of resistance, but you just baaaaarely have to move the mag release forward to get it to release, so it doesn't seem like there's much left of the catch there to hold the mag in place. I went ahead and ordered a stainless left and right mag catch (blued ones were out of stock and stainless always beats blued, IMHO) for $26 shipped, and changing them out looks to be pretty easy and straightforward.

Anyone else had this problem before? Just seemed kinda unusual to me for one of these pistols to have something like this fail.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No doubt, the P89's a big ol' honkin' chunk o' gun, but it still feels plenty nice in my hand, especially with the one-piece Hogue grip panel setup. (I loves me some finger grooves!) Next to maybe a Browning Hi-Power, this is about as close to owning another 1911 as I'm likely to get anytime soon - the P89 does, after all, have the same swinging-link design as the ol' 1911. :)

Managed to fandangle the left/right mag catch and spring outta there. MAN that little leaf spring is strong! The spring's apparently reversible, too, and putting it in the other way seems to give even more stiffness to it, so if re-installing it in the original orientation still proves to be too weak to hold it, I'll just flip it and see if that helps.

Looking down the magwell, you can see there's not a whole lot of mag catch there sticking out to poke into the hole in the front of the magazine:

And there looks like there was some filing or something done to it while it was still installed in the frame because of the weird marks next to it on either side:

With the part out of the frame, it really looks like someone attacked it with a pretty crude file or Dremel tool, maybe with the hopes of making it easier to drop the magazine for some reason. It has a raw, unblued bevel ground into it on the top side that doesn't look right compared to the bottom half of the "nub" that sticks out.

EDIT: Yep, it's definitely been modified by a wannabe gunsmith. Here's what Ruger's website shows a brand new mag catch is supposed to look like:

Furthermore, I paid a few bucks more in buying the mag catch parts from Numrich instead of buying them straight from Ruger because I fail at the Internet. :eek: Oh well, as long as the parts get here soon, I can poke 'em in there and I'll be a happy boy again. :D

·
Registered
597 Posts
Yeah, we still love to shoot my 80's version P89 DC in Stainless . It has never missed a beat but is about as concealable as a boulder.
the P89's a big ol' honkin' chunk o' gun
Yes it is
Never had a mag drop issue. Never a jam or misfire. When you shoot it you feel like your back in Miami Vice. I'll never sell it and I think my son would like to have it but then, he'd like to have all my guns.LOL

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really, a P-series isn't THAT hard to conceal. Just gotta have the right holster and maybe need to plan ahead a little bit with your clothing choices. So, no skin-tight biker shorts and a midriff T-shirt, I'm afraid. :D (FWIW, I can hide one under a T-shirt and jeans.)

·
Registered
383 Posts
I tried to get a pic of mine in a similar position. the pic isn't real clear on my old camera. I haven't had any problems mine . I use both stock Ruger mags and a couple of 18 rnd Ram-Lines

edit: When I look closely at my release shelf there is a small ridge on the top of the release.

2nd edit: I took my grip off and looked at it and the release doesn't all that different than yours. The Ruger replacement you showed was not an ambidextrous one. Is you original ambi?

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I have a KP90 in .45 and my son has th KP89 in 9 mil. Both have pretty stiff mag release buttons. Same thing with the nephews P89. No fallures of the mag realese on any of them. Only the nepehes's gun has had failures to feed sometimes on really cold days. But it may be an ammo issue. Don't see him shoot it often enough to know for sure.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried to get a pic of mine in a similar position. the pic isn't real clear on my old camera. I haven't had any problems mine . I use both stock Ruger mags and a couple of 18 rnd Ram-Lines

edit: When I look closely at my release shelf there is a small ridge on the top of the release.

2nd edit: I took my grip off and looked at it and the release doesn't all that different than yours. The Ruger replacement you showed was not an ambidextrous one. Is you original ambi?
Thanks for the pic! It does appear your mag catch sticks out a bit more than mine. That ridge at the top of the mag catch is pretty much gone from mine because some previous owner apparently took a Dremel to it for some bizarre reason. Mine now has a rounded bevel of sorts instead of a flat top ridge, so it doesn't take much to make it disengage from the hole in the magazine - it's not really hanging onto a whole lot of material. I'm guessing that's probably the only reason why the previous owner traded it in. Once they ruined the mag catch with that "mod" then they probably got sick of the thing dropping mags after every shot and they probably didn't think the part was replaceable. Oh well ... just gives me an excuse to put on new stainless parts. :D (Too bad a stainless slide would cost me close to $200, which is almost what I paid for the whole gun. :( )

The pic from Ruger's site is only one side of the mag release (I think it's the left side). The mag release is a two-piece assembly, plus a leaf spring; the two mag release buttons poke into the frame from opposite sides and sort of sit on top of / fit into each other. Far as I know, all of the P89's had ambidextrous mag releases, if not all P-series guns.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE: New mag catch parts came in. Installing the left side (the first piece) was a PAIN, one of those tasks that almost requires three hands, but I got 'er in there. The right hand side just poked right in with hardly any effort, clicking into place nice n' securely. Took a side-by-side comparison shot of the new stainless catch next to the old I'll-never-know-why-the-modified-it blued catch in better lighting and you can pretty easily see the difference:

I think the new stainless mag catch buttons look a LOT better on this gun, as they tie in with the stainless trigger and barrel that contrast with the blued slide and dark aluminum frame. Stainless parts always make me smile. :)

The mags actually feel smoother going in/out now, and it takes just a bit more of a deliberate push on the button to drop the mag now, so it's not like a gentle nudge will drop it anymore like it did before. Gotta take it to the range again to be sure, but I'm pretty positive this was all it was needing.

Next on my list of wants: a P95 trigger swap. (I would've put one on at the same time, but everywhere I looked, they were sold out, even direct from Ruger. :( )

·
Registered
383 Posts
Yep that new release does look better. Mine has only about 1000 rounds through it and it pretty positive on both insertion and release of the mags. Glad you have it fixed

1 - 10 of 10 Posts