Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the reasons of going to the gunshow for me was to get rid of a few guns I did not like or have a need for. Trade or $ or both. Whatever works. Guns are always better than money cause my wife can't snag it when I get home.

I had been trying to cash out or trade the iSSC Autrian .22 pistol I got a few months ago. It had not been as reliable as I had hoped. Showed it around. Most of the gun traders had seen it, but would not give more than 2 bills cash or trade for it. Finally found one guy with quite a few big autos that said he had a guy that wanted it. He only had the usual offer as the others, so I asked about the guns in his cases. Wouldn't trade on them. He said he had a .22 he would so somehting with and had it under the table. Figured it would be a German single action.

He pulled out a kinda old red and white Ruger box. Box had a near pristine long barrel MK I target model, heavy tapered barrel, adjustable sights in it. No holster wear, no rust, no missing or fading blue. Even the bolt showed no wear. Gun had thumb rest, checkered walnut grips on it. Ejection port was a bit dirty from being fired some. Box was a little worn, had intructions, warranty card, plastic wrap. Manual was dated 4/77, so it could be the right box and stuff too. Gun was made from like the 50s till 81. Prefix on gun serial is 14- so I will check that later to get the right year. Looked right. Thinking like mid to late 70s vintage gun.

I told the guy I already had 3 of the MK IIs and two were target models. Figured he would want at least a bill from me. So I started to walk. He had it priced at 385. Pretty close to the 98% mark in Fejestad's Blue book. Everything but the grips were there. He said my gun and 50 bucks. I turned around quick and looked it over some more. He settled for my gun and 20 bucks. WORKED FOR ME! I was glad to see the ISSC pistol go.

I actually cleaned this gun completely on Sunday at Capt'n Morgan's house. It was really nice. Wood thumbrest grips made the gun. I took it out today just to check it for function. It di not like Rem. bulk pack at all. I already had 2 extra MK I mags at home in cae there was a mag problem. Tried some Federal cheapo Lightning ammo next. It ripped a mag quick with that. And another. So I tried Fed bluck pack and it ripped a mag with that. Other 2 mags worked it it too. Didn't shoot it for accuracy, but I probably won't be shooting this one much anyway. Good pistola.

Again, have pics, but Photobucket is not cooperating. So a generic pic.

http://www.ruger.com/products/_manuals/markI.pdf

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
Great reading Pancho. I used to have a MK I target, a long time ago. I used to hunt squirrels with it.

Nice find at a good price.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
The longer barrel looks like it matches the size of the receiver and grip better.

Can't pass up a good lookin' gun like that. :)

G2S

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The longer barrel looks like it matches the size of the receiver and grip better.

Can't pass up a good lookin' gun like that. :)

G2S
It is a bit muzzle heavy with the weight out front. But hell, it sure looks good. Have another like it in stainless, a MK II. The best feeling one is the 5.5 bull stainless MK II. I use it the most cause the weight is there, but but the balance is closer to the hand. Not so muzzle heavy. Wife has the 4" standard MK II blue. That is all she will shoot or use for anything. She doesn't like the heavy barrel ones.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great reading Pancho. I used to have a MK I target, a long time ago. I used to hunt squirrels with it.

Nice find at a good price.
I made the mistake of starting out with the SBH. The MK I standard was my second gun back int he late 70s. Had to learn trigger control before I could contril the other beast.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got a link at Rugerforum on the date of the MK I. Looks like mid to late 77. Box is correct for the period. Should or could be the right box. No number on it. IIC, the boxes were one size fits all on these with the standrd models stamped on the box. All the others took a label over the stanard model lettering with the info for the gun shipped in it. Might be the label fell off. Anyway, it looks right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts