Ruger LCP recall,why not the P3AT?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Salty, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Salty

Salty Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Is there that much difference between the hammer/sear engineering in the two pistols? I thought the Ruger was identical except for a slightly thicker slide and a slide stop. Why is the Ruger firing on drop-impact and apparently our P3AT doesn't?

2. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Because ruger just copied the design and parts schematic.

Drop safety is a function of how everything works together. Spring strength, resistance, etc.

3. jpaul

jpaul Member

Apr 23, 2008
    To my knowledge there is no set standard as to how much of a drop a pistol must endure to be labeled "safe". The Ruger may have been safe at a 3 ft drop but they wanted 5 feet instead (or any other height of course.)

Kel-Tec may feel safe with where theirs is and Ruger may have wanted a little extra margin.

I will add that I have no idea what each brand will tolerate as far as dropping.

4. P-3aT_ShoTTer

P-3aT_ShoTTer New Member

Feb 5, 2008
    I feel that the new hammer blocks that Kel-Tec is releasing is in direct response to the LCP recall. The P3 does have a block preventing the hammer releasing w/o the trigger being pulled; the ruger did not. You could overcome the spring pressure and force the ruger hammer forward on the origional design.

5. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    But the new hammer blocks were designed and started shipping before the LCP recall, if I remember right.

6. P-3aT_ShoTTer

P-3aT_ShoTTer New Member

Feb 5, 2008
    That doesn't mean that Kel-Tec did not know of the recall prior to its public announcement

7. yzguy

yzguy New Member

Sep 9, 2004
    The original KT P3AT would not drop fire from 9 feet, even with the firing pin spring removed, I personally tried this a long time ago.

http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/droptestresults.htm

the only way I would think that any pistol of this design could drop fire, would be because the hammer fell off the hammer block.

8. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    39.8" onto a concrete slab in six different orientations.

9. Cause Ruger owners drop them?

I own them both and do not drop them.

I have not sent the LCP in for "repair" , and I plan on keeping my Kel-Tec original as well.

10. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    FWIW the Ruger does have a hammer block. They call it a "hammer catch", part #27. ALSO the slide lock is only a manual slide hold open. It is NOT a "lock back on an empty magazine" feature.

I think from what one of the KT engineers posted the KT hammerblock change was something they found they could do to improve the gun without much if any real redesign of the weapon. This eliminated the ability of the gun to drop the hammer without letting the trigger fully reset forward. Dropping off the hammer block causes light strikes.

11. k9pound

k9pound New Member

Jan 18, 2009
    It could be the weight of the firing pin. Is KT lighter than LCP?

12. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    KT released the new hammer block some 6 months before the Ruger recall. The two events are surely totally unrelated. The KT redesign had nothing to do with drop saftey. As yzguy stated earlier, the P3AT is and always has been extremely drop safe. I have no idea what the deal was with the LCP, why it drop-fired, etc. Perhaps the hammer could somehow slip off the hammer block, I don't know.