Ruger Does it again

Discussion in 'Other Guns' started by iamscottasus, Dec 29, 2017.

1. iamscottasus

iamscottasus Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Ruger has done it before...
    They did it in 1961 with the Model 44.
    Then Ruger revamped that in 2000 as the Deerfield.
    Ruger did it again with the PC4 "Police Carbine" to share mags with the P series pistols.

Other makers have done it too. Beretta with the CX4 and Marlin put out the Camp carbine.

Happily, Ruger is doing it once again with the PC Carbine. This one is getting the take-down treatment, as are most rifles from Ruger these days. Lets see if it has a production run longer than four years. I'd get one JIC. Nice truck gun.
    [​IMG]
    https://www.ruger.com/products/pcCarbine/models.html

2. Pinstriper

Pinstriper Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2011
    Orygun
    Kinda neat that it ships with interchangeable magazine wells, including Glock.

Kinda disappointing that it's only 9mm.

I really wish they would revive the .44 mag carbine, in stainless with a plastic stock. Make a nice brush gun out here in the west. Ruger's penchant for rotary magazines...seems like a natural fit.

iamscottasus likes this.

3. iamscottasus

Feb 21, 2014
    I think Ruger's motivation to make these pistol mag carbines is to support the pistol line. Therefore the carbines have been short-lived, like the pistols. Everybody will be using the Glock mags.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  4. haertig

haertig Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2008
    Colorado
    Dang it! Just ordered a new rifle last night, and now today I see another one to fill in the recently emptied slot in my Wish List. There goes my bank account! I've wanted one of these Ruger carbines ever since shooting Wizard's at previous Phideaux shoots.

The takedown feature pretty much seals it as a "must have" gun for me. The threaded barrel is icing on the cake. And it takes Glock mags too - nice.

5. darkwriter77

darkwriter77 Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Apache Junction, AZ
    The interchangeable magwells are a nice touch, for sure. But the price of the carbine itself is a little higher than I figure it should be. Heck, I only paid something like $400 for my 9mm Gen2 SUB2000, and it does everything the Ruger PC does (I'd prefer something that folds over something that comes apart).

I guess if one is heavily committed to Ruger pistols and, since this works with a few of their magazines, then it might be useful to such folk who own a few of those and perhaps a few other brands. But beyond that ... ehhhhhhh, I dunno. Not really seeing much to get excited about beyond that.

Call it a petty critique, but it's also pretty blandly styled, too. No adjustable stock or free-float barrel or anything else to make it stand apart from the average 9mm carbine.

Overall, not a bad carbine, but ... meh.

Pinstriper likes this.
  6. haertig

haertig Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2008
    Colorado
    I would take that a step further, and replace "blandly" with "ugly". But then, it seems that I've bought some ugly guns recently (my S&W Victory being one such gun). But if they shoot well, I can get past the ugly.

IIRC, Wizard's Ruger carbine was beefy and solid feeling in the hand. Not lightweight like the Sub2000. I liked that beefy feel, and hope this new version follows that tradition.

7. iamscottasus

Feb 21, 2014
    I be like,
    WHERE'S THE FOLDER???
    OMG!

Well, how many non-AR 9mm carbines out there that have a rail, besides the CX4?
    And don't mention that Hi-Point monstrosity.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  8. guru2sum

guru2sum Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Mad City, Wisconsin
    From the looks of the magazine well they must be planning on perhaps a .45 ACP, .40 S&W, and .357 version. The well is certainly oversized for 9 mm, resulting in the strange appearance. The bolt travel distance and ejection port might prevent anything longer.

9. rtm

rtm Member

Nov 6, 2017
    Tampa area
    You could buy TWO Hi-Point monstrosity for the price of that Ruger and have money left over for ammo...shoots anything you feed it. Best warranty in the business. And it's just as ugly as that Ruger.
    (or buy one Hi-Point monstrosity and wait for HTA to get their bullpup stock for sale, and the Hi-Point would be better looking than that Ruger)

850sub, lklawson, circlehawk and 3 others like this.
  10. Grayhound

Grayhound Active Member

Aug 7, 2013
    Indiana
    I like the concept of bringing the PC carbine back. That magazine well is ugly and something you can get over if the gun runs smooth. With them being able to convert to Glock magazines, maybe they will stick around a little longer.

I have the PC4 with ghost ring sights I bought years ago around the time the assault weapons ban ended, I think.... Everyone wanted AR’s and AK’s with all those features you could now buy. I got a good deal on this. I thought it was a little ugly when I got but it has since grown on me. I pulled it out to take a quick pic. It handles like a big 10/22 and the recoil is not bad for easy follow up shots. [​IMG]

11. iamscottasus

Feb 21, 2014
    Ill take the ugly Ruger

ral357 likes this.
  12. iamscottasus

Feb 21, 2014
    Beautiful weapon. Ive always wanted one. Wasn't the .40 the "PC4" and the 9mm the "PC9"?

13. Grayhound

Grayhound Active Member

Aug 7, 2013
    Indiana
    You are correct. At the time I wasn’t really into 9mm like I am today although I would have still chosen the 40 if given the choice today.

iamscottasus likes this.
  14. mrchuck

mrchuck Member

Aug 24, 2015
    Gun Barrel City, TX
    I'll keep my .40 cal Kel-tec sub 2000.
    I like the zipper case and fold-over design. Fits real nice in the passenger seat.

850sub, iamscottasus and darkwriter77 like this.
  15. Joe Kelly IV

Joe Kelly IV Member

Sep 4, 2017
    This came over on my google feed a few days ago. Great gun. May have to pick one up myself. The glock mags is an added bonus. The threaded barrel is just making me drool.

16. circlehawk

circlehawk Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Illinois
    I absolutely love that monstrosity! And BTW, you mentioned it first :D. Whenever I run into ammo that my other guns have trouble shooting, I put it into a box that I reserve for the hi-point...it'll shoot anything.

Back on topic, if someone wants to buy me the ruger, I'd be happy to test it out. :cool:

iamscottasus likes this.
  17. BlakeHanson

BlakeHanson Well-Known Member

May 31, 2015
    I'd pick the Sub2000 just so I wouldn't have to worry about losing half of it lol.gif .

Just a few more words would help the Ruger so much, like:
    "...also available in 10mm":eek::D.
    Show of hands, how many of you would be peeing your pants?

850sub and darkwriter77 like this.
  18. darkwriter77

darkwriter77 Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Apache Junction, AZ
    *waves hand enthusiastically* :)

I would LOVE to find another 10mm that I love as much as my Glock 40 MOS. As of yet, though ... haven't found it. Thought the new Ruger Super Redhawk would be a keeper, but ... nope. And the 10mm 1911's just never quite appealed from a practical standpoint because 1911's have ALWAYS been finicky, fussy creatures (and in 3 different calibers) in my experience, so I don't want another one. If Ruger came out with their American Pistol in 10mm, I might actually consider that, but I don't see it ever happening. The 10mm market is kinda experiencing a resurrection these days, but it's still not a big enough market to make many manufacturers start churning out new 10mm's, and Ruger isn't likely to do so with this carbine.

850sub and iamscottasus like this.
  19. mattman17

mattman17 Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Hi Point just came out/is about to come out with a 10mm version of their carbine from what I saw on another forum.

850sub likes this.