Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello wise sages of all things gun-related,
I'm looking to make a new rimfire rifle purchase in the next few weeks and I've narrowed it down to the two choices in the title. I'm looking for some opinions and also I'd like to see if anyone has bought the American Rimfire and what you think about it. Here are the reasons I've narrowed it down to these choices.

I purchased a Ruger Charger in January of this year along with several extra magazines. I really like the Charger for what it is although the stock trigger leaves something to be desired and I haven't had enough of a chance to completely dial in the Bushnell TRS-25 I added to the top of it. Because I now have several 10/22 magazines I would like to have a rifle that is compatible with these mags. At this point, I have a Marlin Model 60 that is scoped and mounted in a Boyd's thumb hole stock. It is a tack driver at 50 yards. My 15 year old son has a Marlin 795 that is completely stock.

My intention for the new rifle is to use it for general plinking. I would like to add some TechSights to it to have a good open sight .22 rifle. There is also the possibility of outfitting the new rifle as an LTR in the hopes of taking an Appleseed class when I can find the time.

I'm currently leaning towards the American Rimfire for the following reason. It has a user adjustable trigger between 3-5 pounds from the factory. Being a bolt action with an adjustable trigger and a factory free float, bedding block stock I think it should be inherently more accurate than the 10/22 without spending a whole lot of money on it. Also, I don't have anything in a bolt-action, which is just inexcusable. You can also purchase shorter butt stock modules that would be useful in helping my younger kids learn to shoot.

I know the 10/22 is somewhat ubiquitous in the rimfire world and there are tons of aftermarket parts and accessories but I think I want something I can keep pretty much bone stock and not spend exorbitant amounts of money on. Pricing for both rifles is within $50 of each other between the American Rimfire and the base model 10/22. I can get the all-weather stainless 10/22 for pretty close to the same price as the 10/22.

So anyway, those are my thoughts on this. I'd appreciate any suggestions, hints or opinions you'd like to offer. I'd really appreciate it if anybody could give me some firsthand experience with the American Rimfire. I have some friends that have 10/22s so I know what they are capable of.

Thanks in Advance,
Tony

·
Registered
404 Posts
A buddy of mine recently purchased one in .22 mag. I've not had a chance yet to go shoot it but from just handling it has a nice feel to it. He also liked that the stock components were interchangeable so that in a few years when his son is old enough to finally learn how to shoot he can accomodate him by picking up the shorter stock parts. He is planning on adding a scope soon and has pretty much settled on going with the Nikon 2x7 offering. If you don't have a bolt type firearm yet I'd say go ahead and scratch that itch. Since you have some already and friends with 10/22s mag commonality is always a big bonus when the poop hits the you know what. I don't think you will be disappointed if you purchase one. Boyds I'm sure offers a replacement stock like your Martin if you wind up not diggin the Ruger factory one.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
My intention for the new rifle is to use it for general plinking.
For that, I'd recommend a Henry lever action above all else. I know you said you've decided on Ruger, but I have to wonder why. Mag compatibility is nice, but not something I would make my primary reason for choosing a gun. Another great choice would be a CZ bolt action - accuracy, great quality, and class. For just a fun blaster, consider the HK MP5 (manufactured by Walther).

https://www.henryrifles.com/henry-rifles/
http://cz-usa.com/product-category/rifles/rimfire/
http://www.waltherarms.com/tactical-rimfire-replicas/hk/mp5-a5/

Everybody and his brother has a 10/22, which is why I wouldn't get one. I hate being a lemming. The Ruger American is just another inexpensive starter .22. Nothing wrong with that it that's what you really want. I imagine it's decent quality. But I would want something with more style to it, like one of the three I mention above.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
If you have another good 22 auto, have settled on Ruger for mag sharing with your Charger, don't presently have a bolt 22, and don't want to spend more money on trigger upgrades, I think you have already chosen the American. Post pictures. :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For that, I'd recommend a Henry lever action above all else. I know you said you've decided on Ruger, but I have to wonder why. Mag compatibility is nice, but not something I would make my primary reason for choosing a gun. Another great choice would be a CZ bolt action - accuracy, great quality, and class. For just a fun blaster, consider the HK MP5 (manufactured by Walther).

https://www.henryrifles.com/henry-rifles/

http://cz-usa.com/product-category/rifles/rimfire/

http://www.waltherarms.com/tactical-rimfire-replicas/hk/mp5-a5/

Everybody and his brother has a 10/22, which is why I wouldn't get one. I hate being a lemming. The Ruger American is just another inexpensive starter .22. Nothing wrong with that it that's what you really want. I imagine it's decent quality. But I would want something with more style to it, like one of the three I mention above.

Geez, way to make it easy on a guy.

Seriously though, you bring up some great suggestions. The Henry rifles are good looking rifles. I've personally never handled one but I know they have a great reputation. Plus, they are just really cool. I'd probably want something like the 20" octagon barrel.

The CZ rifles just ooze class and I know they have a great reputation as well. As far as the mp-5 replica, I'm not the biggest fan of tactical style rifles though I do have an AR-15 and a Sub 2000 (for emergencies).

Really, at this point I think I'm looking for something inexpensive. Something that I can take out with the kids and not feel so bad if it gets a scratch on it.

In a world where I had unlimited cash flow and time, I would definitely have a Henry and a CZ along with many other guns. I have a few good friends at work that are into shooting. We always end "gun talk" with the saying "So many guns, so little time.. and money."

Thanks for your input though. I truly appreciate it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you have another good 22 auto, have settled on Ruger for mag sharing with your Charger, don't presently have a bolt 22, and don't want to spend more money on trigger upgrades, I think you have already chosen the American. Post pictures. :)

Will definitely post a pick if and when I make a decision.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
My son and I got our Appleseed Rifleman patch with a Marlin 795 and Ruger 10/22 respectively. The Marlin was stock except for a scope, and the 10/22 had a scope and a 2# trigger/hammer.

The semi-auto has a real advantage in the Appleseed as parts are time limited, most stages are 10 rounds, and not having to shift position to cock should contribute to consistency. You will need sling mounts and a good, adjustable sling. A 10 round removable magazine is a must, so no lever actions in the Appleseed.

The only rifle I had access to for 40 years was a bolt action Remington .22, so I have a soft spot for bolt actions. I think youth should be trained with a bolt action so they can see how it works, they aren't as likely to spray and pray, and it's easier to check that it's unloaded.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
The basic Henry is the same price as the American. So is the MP5. A basic CZ will cost about $50 more. Moving up to the octagonal Henry (that's the one I have, and the one I would recommend) will up the price by $50-$60. The CZ's can go up even more in price - there are a lot of options/choices there.

I wasn't into tactical .22's either. My thought process was, "What's tactical about a .22LR? How stupid!" But then I shot Jamie's GSG MP5 at Phideaux's and my eyes were opened. What a solidly made and fun gun! Who cares if it looks "tactical", it sure is fun to shoot! I ended up buying the Walther version rather than the GSG simply because I found the Walther on sale, but they are both similar.

If you really are down to choosing between the 10/22 and the American - I would pick the American, hands down. I'm still stuck on that lemming thing about the 10/22. Lemming syndrome is also why I picked up an AK47 long before finally getting an AR15. And my anti-lemming mindset is why I don't personaly own a Glock (although my wife does, and I like to shoot it). But 10/22's are good guns. My son has one. So lemming thoughts only delayed, but did not stop, my family purchases of everyone-has-one firearms.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.