RSS feed

Discussion in 'Feedback and Announcements' started by scotton, Feb 16, 2007.

1. scotton

scotton New Member

Feb 5, 2007
    Would it be possible to set the forum up with an RSS feed? I've noticed that on the message boards I use, I'm a lot more active on the ones the have RSS capabilities. It's easier to monitor a bunch of boards at once instead of having to have 15 different browser windows open.

Just a suggestion.

Scott

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I'm not really sure, nor do I know much about RSS. I asume that it would feed you every new post in one window? Currently, you can view the most recent 10 new post in one window using the link at the bottom of the main page. Of course, you can also subscibe to particular threads and get email notifcation when new posts are made.

If RSS allows you to monitor the goings on of many different forums at once, all in one window, all I can say is, wow! I can barely keep up with this one. :-/

3. scotton

scotton New Member

Feb 5, 2007
    The way it works on some of the other boards I use is you get an RSS URL for each forum in the message board (ie Trading Post). Then you put that URL in your news reader software, and it updates your news reader every time there is a new post in that forum. Then instead of keeping all of the different websites up, I just keep my news reader up.

Here is an example RSS URL from watchuseek, a wristwatch forum I use: http://forums.watchuseek.com/external.php?type=RSS2

I don't really know anything about YaBB or if it supports this, but if it does I thought it would be cool.

4. princemorr2003

princemorr2003 New Member

Mar 3, 2005
    I can never get the last 10 post to ever work for me, it always shows older post.

Dan

5. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    I'm surprised YABB doesn't allow members to subscribe to topics (SU-16, Trading Post, etc.). Subscribing to the individual threads is good, but I'd like an automatic email as soon as a new thread is started, rather than needing to manually scan each topic frequently.

On KTOG, we all have different Kel-Tecs, so the individual topics are almost like separate forums, depending on what Kel-Tecs we own. I hang out a lot in the SUB-2000 and PLR-16 areas, but never encounter someone who only hangs out in the P-11 or P-32 areas.

If YABB doesn't allow subscriptions to topics, it might be a good feature to suggest.

6. Mr_Sir

Mr_Sir New Member

Apr 21, 2010
  7. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I realize it's not RSS, but FYI, you can already view the 10 most recent posts.  On the main index page, toward the bottom, in the Info Center, under Forum Statistics, click: View the 10 most recent posts on this forum.   ;)

8. andrewjs18

andrewjs18 New Member

Dec 6, 2009
    usually it's controlled by the forum software. doesn't look like this version of yabb (2.1) has rss capabilities. yabb 2.4 does, though.

you can tell by going to their forum:
    http://www.yabbforum.com/community/

usually at the top right of the URL in the browser you'll see an rss icon if you can subscribe via rss

9. YABB does allow that Bruce. Any time a NEW topic is posted in RKBA is started, I get an e-mail.

Right above the list of topics on the main page of RKBA, there is a header bar that has a listing of page numbers on the left, and four selections on the right.

One of the selections on the left is "notification". Click that and a you can pick "new topics only" "all new post" or "remove".

10. Mr_Sir

Mr_Sir New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    andrewjs18 - the "How-TO" link I posted earlier is specifically for "RSS Feed for YaBB 2.1 version 1.0 beta 7"

11. Mr_Sir

Mr_Sir New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Still hoping...

12. Mr_Sir

Mr_Sir New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Still hoping...

13. donmontalvo

donmontalvo New Member

Aug 16, 2010
    YaBB 2.5 lists RSS as one of the new features.

Don