Round carried in chamber?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by johnmiltonmiller, Jun 7, 2009.

1. johnmiltonmiller

johnmiltonmiller New Member

Jun 7, 2009
    Is it safe to carry my p3at with a chambered round? It does half-set the hammer when chambering a round.-Johnny.---It pulls back the hammer to a first notch position .

2. Haku

Haku New Member

Mar 29, 2009
    Texas
    I seen this question in another thread awhile back.
    I do carry one in the pipe otherwise you got an unloaded gun, what good is that?
    It is safe to carry one in the pipe KT has done extensive drop test.
    I am sure other will chime in with the technical mumbojumbo ;)

3. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Yes it is safe. The hammer isn't c0cked untill you pull the trigger and the weapon is also drop safe due to the hammer block.
    I am a firm believer that any weapon carried for self defense should be carried ready to fire, round chambered and no safety. If it's not ready to go at a seconds notice it may just get you killed if you ever need it.

CJ

4. Geezer_Glide

Geezer_Glide New Member

Dec 7, 2008
  5. lop

lop Active Member

May 20, 2008
    Like a revolver, just a long heavy trigger pull, a good holster, and an operator that knows what they are doing.

6. WC145

WC145 New Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Yeah, it's safe. Good thing, too, they're too small to make a decent bludgeon.

7. RPM_64

RPM_64 New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    As a KT newbie, I have no problem with a round in the chamber. Can't go bang without pulling the trigger.

8. Swissyankee

Swissyankee New Member

Aug 13, 2007
    You might as well leave it at home if you don't carry with one in the pipe.

9. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Why would you carry an unloaded gun with you anywhere? An unloaded isn't worth as much as a knife and knives are just as useless at a gun fight as an unloaded gun is.

10. voigts

voigts New Member

Sep 30, 2008
    I've been carrying mine with one in the chamber everyday since I got mine last fall. I completely agree that if you ever have to use it, you probably won't have time to chamber a round, and even in the rare event that you did, you would probably be too nervous to do so. I use the Desantis Nemesis that I got with my Armalaser to protect the trigger, and just always know it is loaded and handle it accordingly.

11. roll_tide_daniel

roll_tide_daniel New Member

May 25, 2009
    I started with a PF9, and it took me a while to get used to carrying with one in the pipe. I was uncomfortable with drawing the firearm quickly with one chambered. I To me it is just time spent drawing the gun at the range from your holster to make you feel more comfortable with it. I still have a few issues to work out with my P3AT before it becomes my PC for the summer, but it will be with one in the pipe!

12. rizo

rizo New Member

Apr 17, 2009
    On a double action carry one in the pipe...single action carry cocked and locked...
    other wise you mine as well carry a knife...and we all know what happens to the guy who brings a knife to a gun fight ..AMEN ;)

13. If you are not comfortable enough with your gun to cary it loaded (one in the chamber) leave it at home till you take some gun safty classes and have lots of range time withthe gun. A big part o gun safty is knowing your gun, and being knowladgable and comfortable in the handaling if it.

14. mcdonl

mcdonl New Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Hi... I will post a "New owner" post, but I wanted to add to this one. I carry one in the chamber. I love my P-3AT, and I will be sad when my wife gets her CCW and wants her gun back...

Carrying with one in the chamber is a lot easier to get used to then the de-cocking lever was on my S&W 410S.... it took a while to get used to the hammer coming down when you do not want to fire.

Leroy

15. jlwman

jlwman New Member

Jun 9, 2009
    I carry every one of my guns with one in the chamber. I figure that if you need to use your carry gun and you need time to rack the slide and chamber a round....it's too late.

You don't have time to prepare when it's going down. You must simply be prepared.

16. p3atnewb

p3atnewb New Member

May 25, 2009
    modern firearms are designed to be carried with one in the chamber, period. anyone who claims to be able to rack the slide quickly enough is a fool (especially on the p3at, the slide is rather stiff).

17. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    maybe they are .. maybe they are not. I know of at least 2 police departments that do that, and at least one person who can do it fast enough to make your head spin

18. WADave

WADave New Member

Nov 16, 2006
    [ they are .. maybe they are not.  I know of at least 2 police departments that do that, and at least one person who can do it fast enough to make your head spin

[/quote]
    Don't doubt you for a second, but he/she would be that much faster with one in the pipe. Just takes less time to do fewer things.

19. maybe they are .. maybe they are not.  I know of at least 2 police departments that do that, and at least one person who can do it fast enough to make your head spin

[/quote]
    I want to know what police department those Are! I can not believe any department allowes the carry of an auto, without one in the pipe!

20. p3atnewb

p3atnewb New Member

May 25, 2009
    it's good that they promote the practice necessary to be able to do that, just makes them that much more proficient with their weapons; i agree with the statement that they'd be that much quicker w/ one in the pipe...

i think for the purposes here though, the average CC individual doesn't have the training or practice to be able to do that quickly enough... and even the cops don't always win on the draw; i envision a situation needing to draw of someone already having a weapon readily threatening my life, and want every advantage i can have, and would assume anyone here would want the same.