Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got my rail in last night, threw it on quickly to see if it would let me use the BUIS ok and it seems like it will..Got a motorcycle safety day I'm working today, so no time to mess with it but I'll try this afternoon when I get back.
I'll take some pics and let you know how it goes...then to sight it in with the new scope on.. I'm stoked!!

·
Registered
240 Posts
I am sure it will work fine, what riser did you get and how high is it? Mine is 3/4 inch and I see thru it just fine.
Ah, there is nothing like playing with the new toy, buying accessories and making it your own... until that day... that dreaded aweful day that....

You buy a new toy and start all over again!!!

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, got my rail and finally had time to mount it, seems like it will do just as I want...here's some pics of the set up.

The gun and parts...

view through the rail..

The rail is a bit longer than the rail on the gun in front of the rear sight..I debated taking my bandsaw to it but decided to leave it be..

A little loctite to keep the rail in place.

rings and scope mounted..

A couple views of the iron sights..hard to get a good pic but you get the idea..

Now I just need some time to sight in the scope... :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Looks good. I did the same type of thing to mine also. What I noticed is I can use a cheek weld when using my irons, and a "chin weld" when using my red dot on top of the riser, but I do have a "C" model.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks good. What I noticed is I can use a cheek weld when using my irons, and a "chin weld" when using my red dot on top of the riser, .
Thanks... I'm thinking this will be the same way..

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you need to remove the scope to clean it? Just wondering because I have only ever stripped mine once.
Well I've not cleaned it since mounting the scope, but I do not see why I would..I'll let you know though..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Looks good A.O. One thing to keep in mind is that with the riser extending out over the gas tube, disassembly will be tough. To disassemble, you have to pivot the bolt carrier downward, which tilts the gas tube upward, right there where your riser is. I am speaking from experience :) as I did this same thing with one of my optics. I decided to just go with a micro red dot, which of course does not do what you are wanting your scope to do.

Maybe cutting the riser is the way to go?

Jeremy

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks good A.O. One thing to keep in mind is that with the riser extending out over the gas tube, disassembly will be tough. To disassemble, you have to pivot the bolt carrier downward, which tilts the gas tube upward, right there where your riser is. I am speaking from experience :) as I did this same thing with one of my optics. I decided to just go with a micro red dot, which of course does not do what you are wanting your scope to do.

Maybe cutting the riser is the way to go?

Jeremy
Thanks , and if thats the case I'll introduce my riser to my band saw!! :D

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Do you need to remove the scope to clean it? Just wondering because I have only ever stripped mine once.
RATS... the answer is YES, I just tried it and the piston tube hits the front bell of the scope...Hmmm... more thinking involved here I guess...
Might sight it in, R&R the scope, rail and all, and see if and how much the zero changes...

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, new answer... NO I don't.. I can now dissassemble the gun without removing the scope!!
What I did was to see how much clearence I needed past the front of the scope to remove the bolt carrier assembly, tried to just slide the scope back but before I had clearance to do so the scope bell was running into the front of the riser rail..so off to the shop I went..

Here I introduced Mr riser to Mr bandsaw.. Took a bit off both ends to make it symetrical and so to not cut through the optional mounting holes..

Dressed the ends with the belt sander..

I know its not perfect but I darkened the fresh cuts with a magic marker..

See how long the riser WAS..

And now the shortened version..

Now with the riser shortened, and the scope set back, I can dissasemble the gun without bothering the scope. I did move my head to stock mount back a bit but seems to be fine...thanks for dealing with this LONG post if you made it this far!
A.O.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Looks good man. Glad you figured that out before you spent the time to zero it in and relized later you would need to do it again.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think that your rear site may be on backwards, or mine is. One or the other.
Its on the way it came from Kel Tec, thats all I know..Just looked at my manual and I think you are correct...think it makes a difference?

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
It shouldn't, if anything it gets you closer to the see-thru which might help with the tunnel vision some experience when using that type of riser.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks... and the "tunnel vision" never reared its head with that riser..can't really tell I'm looking through a "tube"..but its new still...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts