Right thinking or not?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Rounder1106, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Rounder1106

Rounder1106 New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    I finally ran across some premium ammo at ****'s Sporting Goods and they only had 3 boxes left of Federal 90 grain Hydra Shok Low Recoil bullets. I had all 3 at the counter at $20.00 each and thought why do I need 60 premium bullets when this is my backup gun. Hopefully I will never have to use this gun in a situation and if I do it will be a quick response where if I need more than 12 bullets (2 clips) I need to go grab my big boys where I have a crap load of ammo for. So I opted for just 1 box and will only load them when I am carrying for SD. Should I have bought all 3 packs or does this make sense? Something is telling me to go back quick to buy them. :-?

I was looking for DPX but cannot find them anywhere. Don't know much about Federal Hydra Shok - Good bullet or what?

2. JB

JB Guest

If spending the money for the other two boxes would not 'crunch' you financially in another area, I'd have to look at it the same way as most of us look at carrying a gun...better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them.  The last HPs I bought for carry in my P3AT were Remington UMCs from WalMart, and I feel comfortable with those, but I also carry Fed H.S. (have one mag of Fed. HS left - which is the carry mag - and the spare mag is loaded with the Remington.)  I can't find any .380 HPs in my area and the few places I have found .380 FMJ it has been way overpriced, so if I found any known-brand HPs at a reasonable price, not knowing when or if .380 will be readily available again, I'd buy as many as my wallet would allow at the time.  Besides, it sounds as if you haven't used these in your .380 before.  Won't you want to run a few through it to make sure they are going to function reliably?

3. GoldenLoki

GoldenLoki New Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Buy 'em. You will want to run several through your gun before you depend on them, and you will want to swap out your carry ammo from time to time. (every six months or so).

The way things are going those other 2 boxes of .380 will be worth more than my 401k by the end of next week.

GL

4. cherry911

cherry911 New Member

Jan 12, 2009
    First rounds that go through my gun every trip are the carry rounds. Then I fire the cheap stuff, after I get home and clean it up I put fresh carry rounds in the gun until the next time out. If I remember correct ammo has a shelf life of a couple years, so you should be able to cycle through 150 rounds of HP in a couple years.

5. Rubb

Rubb Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Yep shoulda bought em. I bought 3 the first time, 42 went to testing function.

6 mags @ 6+1
    Two hand slow fire, strong hand slow fire, strong hand rapid, weak hand rapid, strong hand @ 90 degree angle, weak hand @ 90 degree angle.

1. Awareness
    2. Reliability
    3. Shot placement (don’t matter without #2)
    4. Bullet performance (don’t matter without #2)

http://www.brassfetcher.com/90 grain Federal Personal Defense Hydra-Shok.html