Rifled Barrel

Discussion in 'KSG Bullpup Shotgun' started by atucker, Mar 27, 2016.

1. atucker

atucker Member

Jan 18, 2015
    I have been traveling I will check in with him next week

2. atucker

atucker Member

Jan 18, 2015
    or I might wind up with something better that others will want. Really doesn't matter it's my wallet and my desire. If I wanted the standard ,I never would have taken up custom guns as an obsession. It's not a sin to take a street sweeper and turn it into a snipers dream. That's what spare barrels are all about.

3. 1dragon

1dragon New Member

Nov 29, 2015
    I'm with ya, that's why I was curious as to where this project was at. I think a KSG shooting slugs at 200 yards accurately would be bad azz!

4. atucker

atucker Member

Jan 18, 2015
    oh sorry I'm in Aberdeen Maryland and they are in the middle of getting rid of most of the unneeded metal with a lathe. He's doing this slow to keep costs down and trying for perfection on the first attempt.

5. atucker

atucker Member

Jan 18, 2015
    The Hornady SST is 300 grains and chromos about 2000 FPS at the muzzle. Out of a Paradox 870 heavy barrel it groups about 2 1/2 inches at 200 yards from a vice. Has anybody seen anything hotter? I see people posting about slugs I don't see around here that sound pretty hot. Thanks for the encouragement and any advice is welcome.

6. atucker

atucker Member

Jan 18, 2015
    Well Obama and his pen has stopped work on my barrel. I can't afford $3,000.00 for a barrel.

7. nwfenton

nwfenton Active Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Murica
    Whoa... that's a little steep indeed. Well, another day another daydream, huh?

8. GUNSICK1

GUNSICK1 Member

Mar 16, 2016
    That's the "I don't want to or can't do it price" if you ask me. You don't even need a gunsmith if you can find a good fabricator.

9. atucker

atucker Member

Jan 18, 2015
    True I might start shopping for a machinist

10. CharlieB

CharlieB Well-Known Member

May 25, 2014
    Florida
    "A machinist" comes in many flavors.

Go find yourself a mold maker. Mold makers are ace at cutting metal, and have all the equipment to make all the fancy cuts.

That is - they have EDM and the ability to grind electrode sets for it.
    That is - they have all the fancy whirlygigs (aka rotary indexers).
    That is - they're grinding wheels in strange radii for the surface grinder all day long.
    They have the ability and experience to hold work without distorting it.
    They have raw stock of tough metal (say... for a receiver/barrel extension perhaps)
    They have ties to other precision fabricators like high precision welders who weld in a vacuum, or folks that do heat treatment, or texture application.
    They can do precision engraving.
    They can thread things all day long, and have it all come out right the first time.
    They can make a cutter (tap) if need be to cut internal threads

They be the top dogs, cream of the crop, of machine tool operators.

And, sadly, they're a vanishing breed in this country, as most molds these days are farmed out from China, in fact the parts are ordered and the molds could be cared less about. However.... for small production of good parts, there are still mold shops in most large cities.

11. atucker

atucker Member

Jan 18, 2015
    Obama is gone my LGS has started to build my barrel again. Patience.

GearBolt likes this.
  12. Hobie-Wan Kenobi

Hobie-Wan Kenobi Member

Dec 31, 2019
    Any luck?

13. B0hanon

B0hanon Member

Mar 25, 2013
    I think it’s HiTech that has the barrel extensions. There is a 7.5” extension I think is the longest. If that was rifled and used instead or with a rifles choke, I think their might be a moderate amount of success. I wonder how hard it would be to have one of those extensions rifled.