Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts
Discussion starter · #42 ·
or I might wind up with something better that others will want. Really doesn't matter it's my wallet and my desire. If I wanted the standard ,I never would have taken up custom guns as an obsession. It's not a sin to take a street sweeper and turn it into a snipers dream. That's what spare barrels are all about.

or I might wind up with something better that others will want. Really doesn't matter it's my wallet and my desire. If I wanted the standard ,I never would have taken up custom guns as an obsession. It's not a sin to take a street sweeper and turn it into a snipers dream. That's what spare barrels are all about.
I'm with ya, that's why I was curious as to where this project was at. I think a KSG shooting slugs at 200 yards accurately would be bad azz!

Discussion starter · #44 ·
oh sorry I'm in Aberdeen Maryland and they are in the middle of getting rid of most of the unneeded metal with a lathe. He's doing this slow to keep costs down and trying for perfection on the first attempt.

Discussion starter · #45 ·
The Hornady SST is 300 grains and chromos about 2000 FPS at the muzzle. Out of a Paradox 870 heavy barrel it groups about 2 1/2 inches at 200 yards from a vice. Has anybody seen anything hotter? I see people posting about slugs I don't see around here that sound pretty hot. Thanks for the encouragement and any advice is welcome.

"A machinist" comes in many flavors.

Go find yourself a mold maker. Mold makers are ace at cutting metal, and have all the equipment to make all the fancy cuts.

That is - they have EDM and the ability to grind electrode sets for it.
That is - they have all the fancy whirlygigs (aka rotary indexers).
That is - they're grinding wheels in strange radii for the surface grinder all day long.
They have the ability and experience to hold work without distorting it.
They have raw stock of tough metal (say... for a receiver/barrel extension perhaps)
They have ties to other precision fabricators like high precision welders who weld in a vacuum, or folks that do heat treatment, or texture application.
They can do precision engraving.
They can thread things all day long, and have it all come out right the first time.
They can make a cutter (tap) if need be to cut internal threads

They be the top dogs, cream of the crop, of machine tool operators.

And, sadly, they're a vanishing breed in this country, as most molds these days are farmed out from China, in fact the parts are ordered and the molds could be cared less about. However.... for small production of good parts, there are still mold shops in most large cities.

I think it’s HiTech that has the barrel extensions. There is a 7.5” extension I think is the longest. If that was rifled and used instead or with a rifles choke, I think their might be a moderate amount of success. I wonder how hard it would be to have one of those extensions rifled.

The Kel-Tec is really not a great choice for an accuracy slug gun, but would work.
Having a barrel attachment rifled is going to be very expensive and it would be hard to find someone to do it.

I suspect a better option if you must have a rifled Kel-Tec would be to install a muzzle attachment that uses interchangeable chokes and buy a rifled choke for that.

I'd think you'd get the same or better results by buying as many brands and types of shotgun slugs that you can get and test firing until you find the one brand/type that shoots the best in your specific gun.

The Kel-Tec is really not a great choice for an accuracy slug gun, but would work.
Having a barrel attachment rifled is going to be very expensive and it would be hard to find someone to do it.

I suspect a better option if you must have a rifled Kel-Tec would be to install a muzzle attachment that uses interchangeable chokes and buy a rifled choke for that.

I'd think you'd get the same or better results by buying as many brands and types of shotgun slugs that you can get and test firing until you find the one brand/type that shoots the best in your specific gun.
Do rifled chokes really work? I always wondered if they improved accuracy with slugs.

All depends on how crappy the barrel was. Shotgun barrels are no work of higher precision, although some approach that.
So for instance, if you take perhaps "Brand M" barrel, which has all sorts of variations, non concentric chamber, and a non concentric or perhaps even slightly elliptical choke (lets call it a modified choke, because they're popular), the slug groups might just be more akin to a pattern. Another barrel, same brand and quality, but with a rifled choke insert will probably do better than modified choke, barrel.
On the other hand...., if you take a barrel perhaps from "Brand W", which is made in the far east by a third party noted for high precision and detail, you might find that the barrel is very consistent from end to end, its chamber and choke are both actually round, and concentric with the bore. That barrel will show much less difference as compared to a similar quality barrel using a rifled choke insert.
Making a shotty throw slugs like rifle bullets is asking it to do something that was never intended to do. In short, you're doing not much more than a colonial era musket could do.
And finally.... those long, external rifled choke insert/extensions are probably the best out there, as the rifling starts where the insert is within the barrel, and continues for several inches past the end of the barrel to the "extended muzzle".

The key fact is, that all guns are individuals and you have to work with what you have.

Factors like the barrel, choke, brand/type of slugs, type of sights, and your individual skill at shooting all play a part.

Getting the best possible accuracy out of a shotgun involves a lot of experimentation to find the ideal combination of the above that produces the best accuracy.
Dedicated accuracy slug gun shooters often use bolt action guns and spend a lot of time experimenting to get the best out of it.

In the case of a Kel-Tec, you can get good accuracy even at 100 yards by careful selection of the brand/type of slug.
What works great or works like crap in my gun may produce exactly the opposite in your gun.

Bottom line, there's no reason an 18 inch Cylinder Bore barrel can't shoot very good groups, and in the end, the Kel-Tec guns are just 18 inch shotguns.
Just buy a number of brand/type slugs and do something about a good sight and shoot until you get the best combination.

Last, what level of accuracy do you actually need?
If you shooting slug gun accuracy matches the Kel-Tec is not a good choice.
If you're hunting deer or using it for home defense, all you have to do is get an effective hit in a critical area.
For a man, that's a 10 inch circle, and most decent shotgun and slug combinations will do that at 100 yards.

In a defense situation all that's needed is a hit in that 10 inch circle, and in an actual combat situation you don't get to pick which button on his shirt you get to put the slug in.

Then you should buy some slugs, (if you can find any these days) and go to the range.
See what your KSG can do.
You'll probably be pleased at how well it shoots.

If not, try a different brand/type or a different type of sights.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.