Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
As far as I know, Kel Tec is the only company making barrels for the KSG. You could use the choke adapter and a srew in rifled choke, but honestly I don't think the KSG needs it. The KSG in the stock configuration is very accurate with some brands of Foster slugs, like the Fiocchi's, or with Brenneke slugs. I've shot some pretty tight groups with mine, and I'm confident that I could make a kill out to 200 yards with little trouble. Try a few different brands of slugs and see what gives the best groups in yours.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
For deer hunting I like shooting Sabot so I need a fully rifled barrel. Who makes the KSG barrels? Can they make a fully rifled one.
Good question. Call the factory is the short answer.
But I agree, that the KSG is pretty accurate with standard rifled slugs. I have the choke adapter, but i haven't tested it yet.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The KT choke adapter works well in my experience, but that's dependent on having decent quality chokes of the correct type more than anything else. It behaves exactly like any other shotgun as far as choke performance, so my shot dispersion goes waaaay down as expected.

·
Registered
425 Posts
For deer hunting I like shooting Sabot so I need a fully rifled barrel. Who makes the KSG barrels? Can they make a fully rifled one.

Scoop up an Ithaca Hogslayer...7+1 with 3" chamber :) Toss in a plug to keep the law happy. I scored one off a kid who bought it for buckshot loads, little did he know buckshot plus rifled barrel does not pattern well!

I have some Ithaca Deerslayers, but those are smooth bores. Very late production, before they changed locations, had rifled barrels. Not easy to find, but they are available. Of course, their new rifled are beautiful.

For the minimalist, consider an H&R single shot. I have two, one from the '50s and one from the '70s. They are pretty brutal with a 3" magnum load in them. Their new line have rifled barrels if needed under the 'Ultra Slug Hunter' name.

·
Registered
861 Posts
The ksg is moment of milk jug accurate at 100 with Remington sluggers. Your gun and your money. For Less than three fifty you can get a Mossberg Slugster ready to go. I have no idea what it would cost to have a rifled barrel made for the KSG, none made to my knowledge, not much of a market. Plus do you really want to give the game warden an excuse to harass you by carrying your "assault" shotgun hunting?

·
Registered
840 Posts
If it was a quick change I would use it in a heartbeat in my Ksg if they would make one. I bet it would be extremely expensive. I would use it to shoot some deer here in Iowa. Already talked to my game warden about it. He said ducks and geese are the only thing I cant hunt with my Ksg since the federal law about only having a gun that holds 2 in the tube with 1 in the chamber. Everything else is game on. No limit on shells you gun can hold.

·
Registered
861 Posts
That's what magazine plugs are for
Noncustom rifled shotgun barrels run $200 up. A rifled barrel for the KSG will be a custom job...$500+????????????? Project seems more than impractical, especially when there are many good options that will cost less and be a better hunting gun. The added bonus is another gun in the locker.
What makes the ksg what it is.... overall length and capacity, it's a fighting shotgun stem to Stearns. Neither factor desired in a deer slug gun. The ksg has no weight advantage over dedicated slug guns, while the slug guns bring the advantage of longer barrels. In hunting situations a gun that brings a longer barrel without adding weight is clearly superior because of the longer sighting plain, iron sights, as well as ballisticly. I suppose as long as you are getting a custom barrel made you could get a longer barrel for the KSG. But that brings up the question why. You will have more money invested in trying to make something into something it's not and still end up with a comprise rather than just getting something that fits the role perfectly for way less money??

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is as quick change as it gets. The scoped barrel has a rifled rem choke and with 7/8 oz. 3 inch sluggers is a good 100 yard gun but I want 200 and the sluggers just don't have the energy. Hornady SST sabot has the energy but needs full rifling or it keyholes.

Attachments

·
Registered
861 Posts
Well to each their own.....Some folks grew up with transformers;) I prefer dedicated platforms. Hope you find what your looking for.
What kind of groups are you getting with the rifled choke and scope?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yeah, I'm curious too. I've heard some very mixed reviews on rifled chokes, and would be more prone to buying one if someone would put an MOA number to it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
with mine I can remove a 2 inch bull's-eye at 100 yards with 5 rounds but accuracy drops real fast past that. with 1 fully rifled barrel I can increase that to 200 yards, and the lower barrel set for upland game and birds choke adapter is remchoke with a set of heavy shot chokes and a1mil dot w/ring holo sight it could be the ultimate survival gun. a few wood dowels make the tube magazines legal for any season in any state. I want to do with 1 gun what most people do with 2 to 5 guns . and on top of all that with a single point sling it carries like a long hand gun. I love KEL-TEC

·
Registered
272 Posts
Expecting the addition of a rifled choke to add startling accuracy is more an act of hope than anything else. The distance that the average 1 oz. projectile has to travel between the chamber and muzzle end of an 18.5" barrel is obviously significant enough to build up close to 1800 fps of velocity, and when any such non rotating projectile traveling at that rate over such a distance suddenly happens upon a rifled choke upon its exit, that projectile is literally smeared through it for only a very short distance, never gaining anywhere near as much rotation and stability and therefore as much inherent accuracy as a projectile that had traveled through the full distance of a dedicated rifled slug barrel. As such, a rifled choke offers little to the shooter as far as increased accuracy is concerned, and as noted, it would be more cost effective and the resulting accuracy would be much better if you purchased a rifled barrel for an existing Mossberg 500/Maverick 88, Remington 870, etc., and used that firearm for undertaking such needs, instead of expecting to turn a KSG into a 12 gauge sniper shotgun with the simple addition of an aftermarket rifled choke. 'Tis the way of things I'm afraid; physics.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
true but the slugger itself is rifled so it has already started spinning before it hits the rifled choke. By the way the 1 ounce slug doesn't work as well as the 7/8 ounce slug, might be because the slightly heavier weight is spinning slower. In the meantime I have a rifled choke, I'm looking for a fully rifled barrel. I already have an 870, an 1100 and a 11-87 that have fully rifled barrels and all drive tacks out to 200 yards with different types of ammunition. I just want this one to do the same.

·
Registered
101 Posts
... it has already started spinning before it hits the rifled choke...
Not true. The rifling on the slug imparts no measurable spin on it while it travels down the barrel. The slugs are aerodynamically stabilized, by having a center of gravity that's forward of the center of aerodynamic pressure as it flies. The rifling is actually intended to spin the slug after it leaves the barrel, by acting like angled fins.

Try some different slug loads, and see if any of them give you better groups. I tried 4 or 5 different brands before I found a slug that my KSG really liked, and boy does it shoot straight with them now!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I tried 5 different sabo and 7 Punkin balls and rifled slugs to find the sluggers work best. Maybe I can cut this 870 hastings it was made from a 10 Guage blank and then machine it to match the KSG barrel specs. The only problem will be the fine threads for the barrel nut and I need to look at how the barrel extension attaches. Thanks guys I was so hoping someone had already made one.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.