Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought this might be an easy way to effectively clean oil and rust off small sensitive gun parts, turned out to work pretty darned good! Let me know what you think, try it yourself and see how it works out for you.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyF3mR3ApMc"]VIDEO[/ame]

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Heh, no way would I waste my rice cooker, by using it to cook anything that's not rice.
Gun parts, with oils and cleaners and burnt powders, especially.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, this pot was all rusted out so there was no way my wife wanted to use it anymore, I figured it'd be a great way to clean gun parts and I'm almost wondering if it'll do range brass as well. I'll give it a try next time I go out shooting and bring some home.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
I've never had a "rice" cooker, but back in the day we did boil down parts for inspection. That was back in the late 80's early 90's though. It did get all the carbon off without wire brushing for half an hour. Boil for about five minutes, wipe off with a soft cloth and q-tip the deep areas, then spritz w/ a little oil, voila.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
When i was in the NG we had a steam cleaner handy when we cleaned our m60s. Someone had made a steel mesh box for all the small parts so we could steam clean them also.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I have heard of using the dish washer. But why can't you just do the same with a big pot on the stove?

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Two of my early weapon cleaning details were removing the cosmoline from four .50 Cal. M2 Machine guns, and 16 M3 Submachine guns. This was not a cosmoline coating, but a full dip. The M3s nickname was the grease gun, and these were filled to the brim. I used an immersion heater in a GI can full of water. This loosened the cosmoline and allowed it to be more easily removed. When each weapon was removed from the hot water, the cosmoline floatng on the top left a light coat on the gun. This was easily removed. I have run an M1 Garand or two through the shower after a round on the range.

Life is short, be happy
Jack

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
When we got all our 60s rebuild they came back with cosmoline as hard as plastic. Never see it that hard.

At summer camp we cleaned our m16s in the shower to get rid of all the carbon from shooting blanks.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
You actually shot those? I'd just pretend to and turn'em back in a few at a time during the field-ops. Dare I say I had the best looking BFA in the group.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Buddy of mine used to (illegally) soak his rifle overnight in Hoppes then steam clean in the shower. (he was in boot at the time)

My favorite method these days is to soak in KROIL overnight, then wipe clean in the morning. for new firearms, I repeat this several times until the KROIL stops soaking in and I have major corrosion protection in a very high humidity area.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts