Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about ready to call this rifle junk... it was my first day trying to zero hopefully one of you can get me on track ..... So I think I've got the gas adjustment done idk it does lock back when empty but then i can only get 1-3 rounds to cycle before it jams ... its jamming the spent casing against the ejection ramp. I HATE the gas adjustment its a pane so far.... is there a trick? the manual was written wrong (It says to start at +40 clicks past +0... NOT EVEN CLOSE then in ( ) it says more than one rotation... written wrong or poorly) it took 40 rounds just to get the bolt to lock back when empty. frustrating first day with this rifle i had high hopes. its accurate and shoots great when it shoots HELP! attached are pics of damaged spent casings i had to dig out of the chamber.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
A couple of things I'm sure, others will tell you.
To start, close the gas valve all the way closed (clockwise-more gas).
Open (counter-clockwise-less gas) it up 25 clicks.
Load 1 round into mag and fire.
If the bolt locks back, open the valve 5 more clicks.
Continue to load and fire 1 round until the bolt does NOT lock back.
When it does NOT lock back, close the valve (clockwise) 1 click at a time until it locks open.
At the first spot it locks open, open the valve (clockwise) 2 more clicks and you are set.
The dents are from the cases being bumped into the upper receiver upon extraction from the chamber and is common. Although, the dents get worse when the gun is overgassed (to much gas).
Make sure you lube the bolt before you shoot.
Also, be aware that it may take several hundred rounds to get fully broken in.
Don't give up on it, it is a great rifle, but, there is a bit of a learning curve to it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Yeah both the RDB and RFB 'suffer' in that you have to dial in the exact right gas; you can't just decide to go full-gas-and-****-the-recoil or they'll mangle things and jam just as badly (but in different ways) than if you under-gas them.

·
Registered
419 Posts
LOL I know the manual doesn't say to start out at +40

Heres a recent vid from Chad Enos (from Keltec) on how to set the gas.

From what Ive been able to gleen from other RFB owners..If your at B+20 and its still not working..Id send it back as all the people who have no issues are running way lower than B+20

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A couple of things I'm sure, others will tell you.
To start, close the gas valve all the way closed (clockwise-more gas).
Open (counter-clockwise-less gas) it up 25 clicks.
Load 1 round into mag and fire.
If the bolt locks back, open the valve 5 more clicks.
Continue to load and fire 1 round until the bolt does NOT lock back.
When it does NOT lock back, close the valve (clockwise) 1 click at a time until it locks open.
At the first spot it locks open, open the valve (clockwise) 2 more clicks and you are set.
The dents are from the cases being bumped into the upper receiver upon extraction from the chamber and is common. Although, the dents get worse when the gun is overgassed (to much gas).
Make sure you lube the bolt before you shoot.
Also, be aware that it may take several hundred rounds to get fully broken in.
Don't give up on it, it is a great rifle, but, there is a bit of a learning curve to it.
Thank you that helps a lot that is way more clear than the instructions that come with it... still a little confused on the clockwise and counterclockwise depends on if you're looking at the gun or if you're looking down the barrel... but I do understand the concept I get it now... another video I watched explain the reason for the gas system, in that the bull pup has no extra room for added gas like the AR platform does... I'll keep working it I bought 500 rounds to break it in so I'll go through those around before I make any final judgments... I knew there was going to be a learning curve but I love the concepts and feel and possibilities of this rifle thank you again.

From what Ive been able to gleen from other RFB owners..If your at B+20 and its still not working..Id send it back as all the people who have no issues are running way lower than B+20
yeah it really does i promise ill add a pic when i get home I read it like 6 times and right next to that it says ( more than one turn) ... later it tells you to start at +48 for a suppressor. I'll send you a picture of the instructions they are horrible.

·
Registered
419 Posts
No where in your initial post did you mention you were running a supressor.

Its kinda an important distinction for why you were up so high.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yeah, I either missed the suppressor or it wasn't there.
When I run suppressed, supersonics only, it will not run subs with the standard piston, I have to remove the cap completely.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

IMG_20200629_123011576.jpg

·
Registered
419 Posts
Interesting. I stand corrected
My manual and the one on the website don't say this.

No wonder your confused (screen shot attached)
It should say to +1..
+ 40 is overgassed for unsupressed use.

At one point Keltec offered a supressor piston..Dunno what happened to it. My manual recommends taking off the regulator knob for suppressed use (but I have a gen 1 gas system yours is gen 2)

So..does it work fine unsurpressed?

From what I've seen.Not all supressors are equal. If that's b+40 supressed there still way to much gas being introduced in the system (looking at your brass)

The OSS Helix seems to work the best.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yeah, that is really way to much.
From bottom 0, open the valve (counterclockwise, looking from the muzzle) about 25 turns and start your adjustment, as stated above, from there.
Adjust in increments of 5 clicks until it locks open.
Once you get it to lock open at one spot, but not at the next open (counterclockwise) click, close it 2 more clicks and you are set, for that ammo.
Remember, if you change ammo, you will have to re-verify the gas setting for each different ammo you use. Once you are set up initially, adjusting for different ammo is very easy.
Also, remember, with the standard piston, you will have to open the valve all the way, as far as taking it off completely, to run with a suppressor, and ONLY with supersonics.
The RFB will NOT run subsonics on the standard piston. I'm not positive it will run subs very well at all.
Bottom line, if the bolt does not lock back, it is under gassed and you need to close the valve (clockwise.
If the bolt locks back, you need to get to a point about 2 to 3 clicks more closed than when it doesn't lock back.
If you close the valve to much, allow more gas in, you can overgas the gun, and that can cause excessive recoil, and harsh handling of the gun.
When the gas is adjusted properly, the RFB is a very soft, sweet shooting rifle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interesting. I stand corrected
My manual and the one on the website don't say this.

No wonder your confused (screen shot attached)
It should say to +1..
+ 40 is overgassed for unsupressed use.

At one point Keltec offered a supressor piston..Dunno what happened to it. My manual recommends taking off the regulator knob for suppressed use (but I have a gen 1 gas system yours is gen 2)

So..does it work fine unsurpressed?

From what I've seen.Not all supressors are equal. If that's b+40 supressed there still way to much gas being introduced in the system (looking at your brass)

The OSS Helix seems to work the best.
no it wouldn't work at that at all I struggled back and forth... it says to start at 48 for suppressed use... I'm not using a suppressor yet maybe one day.... I ended up going back to 0 and then plus 8 or more than one turn like it says in () and the bolt did lock to the rear. so I thought it was mission accomplished but since then I've read other blogs and seen a video I need to keep going until it doesn't lock back and then dial back 2 I guess is that correct ? so I think the Miss feeds are from over gassing is that the correct term meaning it's not open enough? these are all new concepts for me so I'm working on becoming proficient... I feel like a pup after 13 years of SWAT using AR platforms this is all new.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, that is really way to much.
From bottom 0, open the valve (counterclockwise, looking from the muzzle) about 25 turns and start your adjustment, as stated above, from there.
Adjust in increments of 5 clicks until it locks open.
Once you get it to lock open at one spot, but not at the next open (counterclockwise) click, close it 2 more clicks and you are set, for that ammo.
Remember, if you change ammo, you will have to re-verify the gas setting for each different ammo you use. Once you are set up initially, adjusting for different ammo is very easy.
Also, remember, with the standard piston, you will have to open the valve all the way, as far as taking it off completely, to run with a suppressor, and ONLY with supersonics.
The RFB will NOT run subsonics on the standard piston. I'm not positive it will run subs very well at all.
Bottom line, if the bolt does not lock back, it is under gassed and you need to close the valve (clockwise.
If the bolt locks back, you need to get to a point about 2 to 3 clicks more closed than when it doesn't lock back.
If you close the valve to much, allow more gas in, you can overgas the gun, and that can cause excessive recoil, and harsh handling of the gun.
When the gas is adjusted properly, the RFB is a very soft, sweet shooting rifle.
that is a fantastic explanation thank you very much for that think I'm going to go out and do that right now. !!!

·
Registered
419 Posts
no it wouldn't work at that at all I struggled back and forth... it says to start at 48 for suppressed use... I'm not using a suppressor yet maybe one day.... I ended up going back to 0 and then plus 8 or more than one turn like it says in () and the bolt did lock to the rear. so I thought it was mission accomplished but since then I've read other blogs and seen a video I need to keep going until it doesn't lock back and then dial back 2 I guess is that correct ? so I think the Miss feeds are from over gassing is that the correct term meaning it's not open enough? these are all new concepts for me so I'm working on becoming proficient... I feel like a pup after 13 years of SWAT using AR platforms this is all new.
Yes this is an entirely different beast. Ars have had close to 60 years of changes/upgrades and they like. Plus tons if market support (if only the Rfb had that level of suppprt)...But also keep in mind this is a commercial rifle thats not based on any military rifle.But it sounds like you've done your research and know that already

Bottom Plus 8 is still a bit undergassed.
Most of the guys I polled on the Rfb Facebook page are running around b+11 to b+17 (lower settings for the 168grs vs the 147gr rounds)

Refer to the vid I posted from Chad for setting gas if you need a video to refer to, he is a Keltec rep.

Otherwise rb288 advise to work from B+25 and back -5 until lock backsn't a bad idea.Just another way of doing it. (Thats what I did for my K&N adjustable piston on my ak)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts