Featured RFB Very Dissapointing

Discussion in 'RFB High Efficiency Rifle' started by lomax, Oct 1, 2017.

1. lomax

lomax Member

Sep 23, 2017
    With the highest of hopes and after doing a lot of research here and other places, I purchased a new RFB last weekend. This weekend I got to go out and put it through its paces.

To say the lease I am VERY disappointed. I adjusted the gas valve per the manual and that went great, just as written. Then I loaded up a couple of rounds and did a little sighting in. Good accuracy from what I can tell so far.

The disappointing this is that it will not feed any more than two rounds from the magazine. If I put 10 rounds in it feeds the first two. If I put three rounds in it feeds the first two.

I found that if I reach inside and pull the bolt back down it will again feed two rounds. I also found that the purple and blue items in the picture below (304, 305, 308) are VERY hard to rotate. I am not a smithy but have been at this game for over 40 years. This seems very odd to me as there is a very small spring in there to return them to a neutral position. It could also be a bad magazine but I am not suspecting that.

My disappointment comes from spending 3 weeks salary on a very neat idea rifle and barely getting 20 rounds through it before it has to go back to the factory. At least my dealer was willing to facilitate that.

upload_2017-10-1_21-21-8.png

My recommendation if you are looking to buy one of these is to get a dealer that will allow returns. I would have gladly returned this in trade for an AUG but did not have that option, so may be stuck with a very expensive boat anchor that will look good hanging on the wall. If a rife is not about 100% reliable then it is of no use to me. I may be wrong but at this time feel I made a BIG expensive mistake.

2. ronmar

ronmar Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2010
    Sorry you are having troubles. What you describe with the extractors(304,305) is norma. They are stiff to move without a shell between them as they must have inward spring tension to grip a case. Without a case in between them they rub on the side of the bolt. Snap a case into them and they should snap to the upright position all by themselvs, even a loaded round snaps up smartly if they are working right. If they didn't, the rifle wouldn't cycle at all.

SO where exactly does your bolt stop when trying to load the second round? Most FTF issues are magazine related. It sounds like you didn't have a second mg to try? It being a staggered magazine, did it perhaps only feed the right hand shell or the left? Could the leading edge of the bolt possibly been hanging at the back edge of the mag(bolt runs down into the mag thru a channel at the rear).

Liberty4Ever likes this.

3. lomax

lomax Member

Sep 23, 2017
    Thanks for the explanation on how the bolt works. That makes a lot of sense. The rifle only came with one mag and even though I had a couple of Thermold magazines they were so bad that the followers would not even move back up on their own, thus I did not even try them in the rifle. I will see what/if the dealer finds and then may just have to get some good old FN metal mags that I know work fine. Sure wish the nanny state would let us have decent sized mags these days. :(

The rifle would fire the first and second round out of the magazine and then would not pick up the third. The bolt stopped fully in battery but had not picked the top round of the magazine up.

4. mazyot

mazyot Member

Sep 22, 2017
    What is the track record on the street for the RFB? I'd NEVER buy any Kel-Tec firearm that doesn't have a pretty solid reputation. That's the only reason I just picked up a new Gen 2 SUB2000. 300+ rounds through it so far without a single hitch. That said, I'm truly sorry your RFB isn't working out well. I know how that feels.

5. BlakeHanson

BlakeHanson Well-Known Member

May 31, 2015
    If it loaded a :quote:nothing:quote: into the chamber, 100% a mag problem.
    If you're having to use "shortened" mags, that makes complete sense.
    As for the good-ol' FN metal mags, I use nothing but those in my RFB and it don't miss a beat:D.
    For the love, stick a 'known-good' mag in it, dial the gas in, and shoot it, before tearing it into a million pieces.
    The best gun in the world will shoot like crap with a bad mag in it:wall:.

symetry, Liberty4Ever and ronmar like this.
  6. lomax

lomax Member

Sep 23, 2017
    I am also thinking it is a mag problem. The stock mag is nothing very impressive and of course they had to modify it to a 15 rounder at the shop before sale. (yea don't get me started:mad:) So that is probably the issue. I will probably need to get some Magpul mags (DOH don't make them :)) for it or just some good old FN metal mags.

Thank you all for the information and I am feeling a bit better about it. :D

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017 at 3:33 PM
  7. BlakeHanson

May 31, 2015
    Something to watch while you're mag shopping:

Mine shoots like that. The only pain it gives me, is in the wallet:D.

symetry likes this.
  8. ronmar

ronmar Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2010
    I SO wish Magpul made FAL mags... I have asked, but they would neither confirm nor deny that a FAL pattern mag was even in the works...

If your mag had to be modified to be legal(pinned/riveted) it is possible that that mod done incorrectly is restricting the spring travel.

Thermolds that the shell followers wouldn't even come up on? Pull them apart and clean them... Only time I have had a problem with one was because it was full of crap, but that is true of any mag:)

9. Evil_Edie

Evil_Edie Member

Apr 30, 2014
    I'm with Ron, definitely a mag issue related to whatever means they used to limit your magazine.

I use the Thermolds and the only issue I've ever had was not being able to seat on closed bolt when fully loaded (5 for us poor Canadians). I've since fixed that. With the steel magazine that the rifle came with and one more I bought i had issues occasionally.

10. Tiger

Tiger Active Member

Jan 17, 2011
    I think you should stop trying to be Donald Trump. One mag and your off bad mouthing the company & the rifle. :no: Then you hold back the mag mod details till the 6th post in the thread?:wall: Uh, how about a "apology?"

11. Valleau

Valleau Member

Mar 14, 2016
    I had a similar problem. Occasionally I could get 4-5 shots, but usually 2. The bolt would jam open, and partially crush the ejecting brass. The next bullet was ready to chamber, but the bolt was held back by the jammed ejection brass. Different mags made no difference. Finally drove to the cocoa factory the gunsmith there found the ejection ramp was bent and replaced it. Shoots wonderfully now.

12. ziggomat

ziggomat Member

Apr 7, 2016
    France
    hello everybody , I'm french and i so sorry by advance for my low level in english , but I'm a very happiness RFB owner.

after more 3000 rounds shooted with this one I have learn a lot of things on it.

firts of all , you must know that the RFB out of the box is not reliable. but no panic , first step, change the magazine by a thermold and second step you must generusly lubrificate all mechanics mobile parts during the running in.

the setting off gaz systeme must be done round by round, ammo by ammo to find just the moment when the bolt stay back when the magasin is empty and after you must increaise of 5 clicks the gaz system .

for the first 300 rounds , i proceed to a clean-up and lubrification all each 50 rounds shot and from 300 to 1000 rounds a clean/lubrification all each 100 rounds shot. Now I do a fast cleanning after two shooting sesions ( i shoot aproximatively 100 rounds by sessions )

you may be sure, that if you proceed like that, your RBF will have normals loading cycles.

on my RBF know it's very rare I have a reload issue but this was not the case when this one worked with metal magazin and without a good setting of gaz system and a good running in.

another advise no change frequently ammo type because this obligate you to set another time the gaz system.

13. BlakeHanson

May 31, 2015
    Bienvenue sur le site ! Vous êtes canadien ou en France ? Vous ont été membre pendant plus d’un an et il s’agit de votre premier message ?:eek: clap.gif
    Votre traduction en anglais est très bien.
    Cartouches combien pouvez-vous avoir dans le magazine ?

symetry likes this.
  14. ziggomat

ziggomat Member

Apr 7, 2016
    France
    yes I'm french , and it's my first message because I prefer know my weapon befor speak about. My magasin have a 20 rounds capacity. This first one was a stock metal Fal, the second one is the termold by Kel tec.

thanks a lot i try to do my best to write in English and contribute from France , because keltec RFB is very rare in France

speedmaster likes this.
  15. BlakeHanson

May 31, 2015
    Be sure to put the RFB in your will&testament. Years from now, there is no telling what it will be worth over there.
    Thank you for taking the time to study it before posting: "I Can't Get It To Work! crying.gif ":no:
    As you have found out, it does work very well with a little care and can produce great firepower.
    If you need help, let us know.
    :kiss: ...(it's a French thing:))

symetry likes this.
  16. Spike Bull

Spike Bull Member

Yesterday
    My new RFB ran like a Swiss watch right out of the box with three different factory mags and three different ammo (Privi Partisan, PMC, and Herter's steel) at factory gas setting of 9 clicks.
    So glad I didn' read any of these posts before I purchased!

17. lomax

lomax Member

Sep 23, 2017
    I sincerely apologize to you personally as this opinion seems to be very upsetting to you. I suggest maybe anger management classes or some kind of help.

Having tried many suggestions from great people here and still having a non operational rifle I do not feel too bad about what I have said. I will continue to work on the rifle to try and get it functional. The disappointment comes from actually having to overhaul and redesign the weapon to make it reliable. The rife is currently not operational and I cannot rely on it in any situation. A non functional firearm is not only a defective tool it is a danger to anyone counting on it.

The Theramold Mags I bought were determined to be defective from the factory and were replaced. They work better but still not reliable. The metal FAL mags seem to work the best. To me reliable means 1000 rounds with zero malfunctions. From reading above I am going to check the feed ramp for integrity and probably polish it. Maybe more break in is what it needs. Gotta treat it like an old Government 45 I guess and go through it top to bottom. :D

Your political agenda comment does not even deserve a reply. :eek:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017 at 3:43 PM
  18. Spike Bull

Spike Bull Member

Yesterday
    I think you sent this to the wrong guy!
    I am sorry you are having trouble with your gun. I would be very upset as well but I happen to be having great luck with mine.

I hope you are able to resolve your problems quickly.

19. BlakeHanson

May 31, 2015
    Whatever happened to Ziggo?
    I really liked that guy.
    ...oh, he's out shooting:D machine-gun.gif

The last thread like this that ended in:
    "I'm not going to send it back, and I'm not going to work with it. I just want to gripe for all eternity", well, it just died on the vine:(.
    Some people you just can't help:rolleyes:.