Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a dark earth RFB and can't decide on optics. I am mainly shooting targets up to 100 yards but would like the option to reach out farther. Im new to the battle rifle platform so im not real familiar with optic choices for it. I'm thinking either an Eotech with 3x magnifier or an Acog. Any ideas or opinions would be great.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Scopes in the 1-4X range seem popular. I went with a leupold mark4 MRT in 1.5X5 and could not be happier with it... I think it is an excellent mix with this rifle...

·
Registered
55 Posts
I run a Leupold VX-R 1.25-4x20 with illuminated dot reticle, on a LaRue mount.
Same, except on Burris mounts. I like it very much.
I'm running a Millett DMS illuminated 1-4 on my SIG 556 and it is closer to a true 1 power. I am also very happy with it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
ACOG if you are willing to drop the coin. they have them in .308 ballistic drop reticles. i have 3 in different cnfigurations, love em. The leupold mark 4 1.5 illum. ret. with m2 dials is awesome too. I recommend big river tactical, best leupold prices i have EVER seen.

·
Super Moderator
9,973 Posts
Has anyone tried a Leatherwood M-1000 Camputer scope? It's the modern version of the ART that was introduced for Vietnam War snipers. It's basically a no-math mil-dot 2.5-10X44 scope. There is a cam that can be adjusted according to your caliber, muzzle velocity, etc. The instructions have a table for common ammo. There is a ring that is coupled to the magnification. The shooter adjusts the magnification to put an 18" wide or tall object in the reticle box and that performs the range estimation while a cam raises the elevation by adjusting the scope base. You can shoot at this point, (2.5X at 250 meters to 10X at 1000 meters), or you can decouple the magnification after ranging and zoom in for a better view of your target. You can also manually set the range if you know it, but the range adjustment dial is labeled in meters instead of yards.

I think it might be a good optic for the RFB because it's fast to range and use, and provides good results quickly. It's not a bench rest scope, but the RFB isn't a bench rest rifle. They seem like a good match for each other, although I see the Carbine RFB more for high power and fairly short range, and the M-1000 features come into play at 250+ yards, which is farther than I'd probably use an RFB, not that it isn't plenty capable at those farther distances.

http://swfa.com/Leatherwood-25-10x44-Camputer-ART-M-1000-Rifle-Scope-P11934.aspx

http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/leatherwood-hi-lux-art-m-1000-auto-ranging-riflescope

$350 with the scope base and lens caps sounds pretty good!

There are YouTube videos, as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I went with the Burris 1-4x xtr (with a fast fire halo backup) it is a true 1x so shooting with both eyes open won't give you vertigo. I could not be happier; I will have a couple more in my inventory before I am through.

·
Registered
387 Posts
ACOG TA11E is what I run. Love it. Range lines are on spot with my reloads (shorter barrel, but I run hotter loads). I like the chevron, and shoot both-eyes-open, so it suits me well.

I'm tempted to get some kind of quick-release setup so I can mount something with higher magnification to play around with precision at longer ranges, but up to the ~500m I've been able to shoot frequently, I'm on steel with the 3.5x with no issue. Shooting paper, you better have a spotting scope, because you won't be able to see the holes at that distance. ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
ACOG TA11E is what I run. Love it. Range lines are on spot with my reloads (shorter barrel, but I run hotter loads). I like the chevron, and shoot both-eyes-open, so it suits me well.

I'm tempted to get some kind of quick-release setup so I can mount something with higher magnification to play around with precision at longer ranges, but up to the ~500m I've been able to shoot frequently, I'm on steel with the 3.5x with no issue. Shooting paper, you better have a spotting scope, because you won't be able to see the holes at that distance. ;)
I have te same acog but I wish I had the 6x

·
Registered
67 Posts
There are a lot of 1-6x scopes coming out soon and One I'm really interested in. SWFA has their SS 1-6x priced at $1000 right now but they are having a group buy facebook "like" challenge that if they get to 5000 likes they will bump $200 off the price (they are around 3900 likes currently). Hate to reference another website but here is the link:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3255387#Post3255387

Link to their facebook page to like:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/SWFAcom/20965581078

·
Registered
2 Posts
SSWA Facebook $200 discount coupon

As of 1400 today (23 April) they were up to 4,082 "likes", so with any luck the $200 off coupon for the SS1-6x24 should be available warly next month. Makes it roughly $800 for a scope that is an excellent match to the RFB (among others) and with the coupon a pretty good deal

1 - 20 of 24 Posts