Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No two ways about it. The 6.5 CM is coming on strong, as it should. It is a fantastic cartridge and the US is considering it as the next mainstay. I am positive that KT has considered it. Magazines are not am impediment here! As soon as I get my finances in order, I am getting an new RFB and intend to rebarrel her.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I am positive that KT has considered it. Magazines are not am impediment here! As soon as I get my finances in order, I am getting an new RFB and intend to rebarrel her.
Cyberscoper was working on exactly that and has bought CNC machines and tools to machine barrel blanks.
He has been sidetracked moving into a new house lately:rolleyes:.
He's done a great amount of research into what it will take to "re-barrel" the RFB. It is do-able. But it is going to take a lot of work.
The jig that holds the parts in place as the locknuts are tightened, as well as design and manufacture of wrenches needed to torque the locknuts.
Then there is the mating to the receiver to set the headspace and clocking of the gas port.
Once you see the whole picture, it's easy to see why there are not companies offering RFB barrels in alternate chamberings:rolleyes:.

Perhaps he will share some of the knowledge he has accumulated:cool:.

I think you guys should hookup:quickkiss:.:D

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Several major barrel makers will custom contour the barrel. I only expect to have issues tuning the gas piston; But, that is the fun of it. If KT does not beat me to it, I will be all over this. I am also thinking of modifying the chassis to free float the barrel.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Freefloating a barrel on an RFB will be easy... Simply design a new gun from the ground up:) That will probably be the easiest way to get a 6.5CM Chambered bullpup...

The RFB uses a barrel to receiver union I have never seen before on a firearm. Unique is an understatement IRT the RFB IMO...

·
Grand Poobah
898 Posts
Jeepers, I take one evening off from reading the forum, and a whole new thread pops up on my favorite topic.

Cyberscoper was working on exactly that and has bought CNC machines and tools...
Just for clarification, I do not have CNC. I do have a decent lathe for profiling barrels, a decent milling machine, and a fair accumulation of other tools, plus accurate dimension drawings compiled from measurements of several RFBs, just not in the business of performing this type work as an occupation.

An RFB chambered in 6.5 "Creedmoor" is definitely feasible. I will complete one in due course, but may be several months away due to construction/renovation at recently acquired ranch and construction of a real shop in prep for pending move. Blake's call this morning caught me in the middle of said construction.

Am a bit amused at the "chassis" discussion. As currently designed, the barrel is the primary structural component of the RFB. Everything else is attached to it. A free floating barrel requires redesign of the lower assemblies. Doable, yes.

I'll focus on the 6.5 Creed chambering first.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
No, the chassis locks to connectors on the barrel.
Uuuh, the lower halvs of the stock connect to the chassis/frame which IS the barrel, with 4 push pins... That floppy 2 piece plastic assembly known as the "lower" is in NO way structural as far as the RFB is concerned. Those grips simply interface the user to the structure...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Uuuh, the lower halvs of the stock connect to the chassis/frame which IS the barrel, with 4 push pins... That floppy 2 piece plastic assembly known as the "lower" is in NO way structural as far as the RFB is concerned. Those grips simply interface the user to the structure...
Yes, and isn't this indicative of most bullpup rifles from most manufacturers through the years as far as free floated barrels goes? It isn't that a bullpup can't be designed and built with a free float barrel, it just gets more expensive and heavier in most cases from my limited experience and observations. If I recall even that somewhat famous and expensive Walther WA2000 sniper bullpup rifle bullpup isn't free floated. And realize...I'm no expert on this. I know the fellow who owns/runs Gear Head Works has been working a bit on free floating one of his Tavors.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Yea, prettymuch... One way to build a strong structure at reduced weight is with small triangulated structures. Look at tube and fabric aircraft, towers, bridges and crane booms. The second is with large round ribbed tubular structures like modern aluminum and composite aircraft, wind turbine towers and blades ect... The problem with a rifle is the high mass of the barrel, so the first method is more applicable to reduce weight design.

To freefloat a barrel, the structure where the receiver attaches MUST be strong enough to withstand the stresses of the cantilevered barrel. IE, you have the barrel, and you have a separate structure built strong enough to restrain the barrel only held from one end. Yes it can be done, but with a different set of design criteria, and weight is going to be low on that list. I have been playing with a bullpup design to freefloat a Savage 110 barreled action and it can be difficult to keep the weight from ballooning and still be stiff enough to be functional(survive being dropped?).

In my opinion, trying to freefloat a bullpup carbine really isn't worth the effort(especially with a FAL tilting bolt) as you really need the added precision a bolt action provides to really exploit the benefits of a free floated barrel...

I think when we finally get a barrel with a SAMI spec chamber, we will see the RFB accuracy shrink comfortably sub moa in it's current configuration...

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The accuracy as is, I have no problem with. The 6.5 CM, is something I wish to bring to KT's attention and hope they will do. The free float idea is just that; AN IDEA!!!! Kelgren is a pretty smart cookie and perhaps this design needs to be barrel oriented. For the record, I had an RFB in hand before anyone in this forum. That is a documented fact. I really do not need a block of instruction on how and why this rifle works. The stock (also known as a chassis) would need more than a little modification and the receiver drilled and tapped for a new point of attachment to the redesigned stock. It is the mechanics of the top cover recharging the action that seems to give me doubt that this rifle can ever be truly free floated.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If this works I'd love to see one in 358 Winchester. Talk about the ultimate brush rifle the RFB in this caliber would be it. For now though I'll just start working on a 200 grain JSP load for this purpose.

·
Grand Poobah
898 Posts
I recall a few posts several years ago about a German company that re-barrelled RFB's to 358 win for export to Germany because of local restrictions preventing private ownership of military chambered firearms, i.e., a 7.62x51.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I recall a few posts several years ago about a German company that re-barrelled RFB's to 358 win for export to Germany because of local restrictions preventing private ownership of military chambered firearms, i.e., a 7.62x51.
Looking at the cartridges, (308 on left, 358 on right) I'd bet that they just re-cut the barrel bore and reamed the chamber and didn't put 'new' barrels on them.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I wonder, if that's what they did... how they cut the rifling...

FYI, CyberScoper, I'm waiting on your results before I go full bore designing the tension tube system. If you get sub-MOA (with factory ammo), I'm not bothering. Otherwise, it can't hurt, and I'd wager that it would make a significant improvement. Any ETA on when you'll start making chips?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.