1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
This Friday I'm picking up my RFB. Very excited, and must have upgrades I should look at?
My optics, I'm going with a Primary Arms that is looking for a home sitting on my desk.

http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-...he-patented-acss-5-56-reticle-pac3x-acss-5-56

And I already purchased extra metic mags from Gunmagwarehouse.com

http://gunmagwarehouse.com/kci-fn-fal-308-winchester-metric-20-round-magazine.html
Aside from actually having something to aim it with, there aren't any "must-have" upgrades. The Primary Arms sight looks just fine.
There are dozens of "love-to-have" upgrades but they vary widely by owner.
Stay focused.
Learn about the differences between it and other rifles and get used to it.
Shoot the gun.
Get the gas dialed-in, get the gun broken-in.
Shoot the gun.
You will easily be able to tell us what 'love-to-have' upgrades you want:).
Nothing worse than someone who decorates one like a Christmas-tree with every gadget on earth before firing a single round, and then decides he hates it
Pink Line Mouth Smile Symmetry
Personal protective equipment Swat Toy

(Did I mention, Shoot the gun?)

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
The only recomendations I can make are:
1. A good 2 point sling. I like mine attached over/around the top channel right in front of the buttpad and to the left side of the forend. This thing is heavy, and connected like this it hangs pretty comfortably down across my chest diagonally.
2. A Kydex cheek rest. This makes the RFB much more comfortable to shoot and in my case it makes a standard AR sight height like that primary arms is setup for(1.47" rail top to optic centerline) just about a perfect eye alignment height...

And like Blake said, set the gas and shoot the crap out of it, re-checking the gas setting occasionally as the rifle breaks in...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the inputs guys. I just got home with my RFB in OD. To my surprise I came with a sling and attachments.
I'll keep you posted on how she comes along.
Is there a "break in" period for the rifle as, how many rds, target or higher verlocity?

Cheers
Ron

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Is there a "break in" period for the rifle as, how many rds, target or higher verlocity?
What you think Ronmar, 10 rds to dial in the gas, 10 to zero the scope, 10 for exercise, 10 more to readjust the gas?
I think 40 rounds should do it.
Just use all the same ammo for break-in, as different ammo will like different gas settings later.
I'd use cheap stuff for break-in, just something suitable for poking holes in paper:D.

As far as upgrades go, I'll just whisper Muzzle Brake.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I would call that 40 rounds "setup"... Don't know that I would call it broken in till somewhere north of the 100RD point... You make an excellent point though, untill you set the gas a few times SAS, I would stick with one type of ammo, nothing fancy, 147GR ball. Mine really likes the least expensive ammo I have found, Tula, $9 something a box at Walmart... You can also help speed up the breakin process by hand cycling it a bunch. You will note when you start how stiff and "crunchy" the springs feel(lube the recoil springs and guide rods really well). The more you cycle it the smoother it will feel. I put up a gas adjust video and a lube reccomendation video in the FAQ section/thread...

·
Registered
20 Posts
If your optics has your cheek on or near the top back of the gun the kydex cheek guard is a pretty good investment if you ever intend to shoot more than 100-150 rounds at a go through it. The thick chamber and two layers of steel are better at stopping shrapnel in the event of some sort of catastrophic malfunction than they are at stopping heat transfer from normal every day shooting.

To me that was the #1 "why did it not come standard with this" thing. The #2 thing on that list is the extended bolt operating handle but I guess that could be a matter of taste. #3 would be the butt pad spacers, adding an extra half inch to mine seemed to help a lot. #4 is like 4 or 5 more mags. Mine really likes the thermold mags, really does not like steel mags. Just load your mags at home and try to cycle them through at least once so you don't get to the range to find only the stock mag works.

Beyond optics/sights which obviously have to be 3rd party because kel-tec's motto is apparently "**** aiming" there's not much that's 3rd party that exists much less is necessary. If you want a muzzle brake then definitely consider 3rd party as well as the kel-tec brake. There's a few 3rd party sling options that can let you do a 1 point or select between 1 and 2 point slings, most 3rd party slings require some sort of nylon strap with velcro sling mount between the pistol grip and the mag release, not as good as a hard mount with a quick release but seems functional, but the included sling isn't bad, definitely functional. If you add the quadrail then a bipod might be nice for prone/bench shooting, tried a forward grip on it, doesn't feel necessary. Flashlight/laser might be good if you intend to use it as a home defense type gun but do bare in mind that using a .308 with an 18 inch barrel and a muzzle brake fired at close quarters indoors will not only leave you deaf but necessitate moving because you are never going to get all the bad guy bits off of the ceiling.

There doesn't seem to be anything as far as trigger upgrades and the pistol grip is molded to the body so about the only grip enhancements you'll run across is grippy tape wrapped around it.

So yeah unless it's just a range toy that you never intend to shoot much you probably want the cheek guard and maybe a few other things on my list up there but past that it's pretty good to go out of the box (other than optics, obv).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dragon, thank for the inputs. I already have 3 extra mags. Also I'll try the sling that came with mine before I look elsewhere.
I also ordered a larger charging handle, should be in today.
With my size and with my optics, I found a cheek riser is nessary as a a butt extension.
Cheers
Ron

·
Registered
45 Posts
Try some quality ammo. I'd read complaints about accuracy so when I bought mine I also picked up some FGMM 168's and 175's. I rang an 8" steel plate 5 out of 5 at 500 yards after sighting in at 100 with my NF 2.5-10x42 on a Larue QD mount. 100 yard groups were right at 1.5 inches average with several groups of 1 inch. The 175's seemed a tad more accurate on average. Awesome rifle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.