Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if anyone's had this issue, but I've been firing a lot of 147 grain 7.62 (mostly PMC Bronze and American Eagle M80) and I've been jamming on every round. The rounds chamber perfectly fine and the rifle works great with only 1 round in the mag, but with any more it gets the extracted case stuck to the left of the ejection chute and the next round stuck between the chamber and the magazine, which has bent the end out of shape and damages the mouth of the cartridge (I've also noticed that the bent ends tend to block the recoil spring, but I can't tell if that's the main issue). Also, when I'm firing single rounds I've noticed the the fired case is not held in the extractors when the bolt locks back and is left free in the chambering area. Unfired rounds cycle perfectly fine.

Anybody know a fix for this? I've tried setting my gas per KT's instructions and even re-bending the ends of the ejection chute, but those only last so long, usually only 2 rounds before jamming. I've also used some Armscor 147 grain 308 and some PPU M80 for zeroing, and I had far less jamming with those compared to PMC Bronze and the American Eagle M80.

·
Registered
333 Posts
When you adjusted your gas setting, did you open the gas enough that with one round in the mag, it'll fail to lock back on an empty magazine once fired? If not, do that and then close the gas regulator one click until it just locks back. Then run a mag with 5 rounds in it. If it cycles fine and still locks back, then close the regulator one more click for reliability due to temperature swings.

If you still can't get it to cycle properly, then the rifle probably needs to go back for warranty service.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you adjusted your gas setting, did you open the gas enough that with one round in the mag, it'll fail to lock back on an empty magazine once fired? If not, do that and then close the gas regulator one click until it just locks back. Then run a mag with 5 rounds in it. If it cycles fine and still locks back, then close the regulator one more click for reliability due to temperature swings.

If you still can't get it to cycle properly, then the rifle probably needs to go back for warranty service.
I'll try this on the weekend, I was hoping I wouldn't have to send in my rifle, but hopefully this works. Thanks a lot, though!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Also note that this type of gas system isn't a set and forget deal. You'll need to adjust the regulator like I described if switching loads or if you had it set for summer then decide to go shooting in 32F weather.

A majority of RFB weirdness can be attributed to an incorrectly adjusted gas regulator. The rest unfortunately is due to manufacturing defects. Hopefully yours just needs to be adjusted correctly.

·
Registered
418 Posts
ALso..do not hold your magazine in..this will give you a false gas setting when it locks back..(Figured this out last weekend so Ill be using a diff mag) Got down to B+4 but when I switched from my 5rd steel to my 20rnd thremold..didn't cycle until i was back at B+8

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ALso..do not hold your magazine in..this will give you a false gas setting when it locks back..(Figured this out last weekend so Ill be using a diff mag) Got down to B+4 but when I switched from my 5rd steel to my 20rnd thremold..didn't cycle until i was back at B+8
I don't hold in my magazine, I just shoulder when I try to set my gas. I won't be able to try anything until this weekend, though. Thanks for the heads up

·
Registered
333 Posts
Ill get to test that soon on all 3 of my adjustable piston guns
Some may run perfectly depending on how fine the adjustments are on the regulator. Usually those 3 to 5 position ones have large enough ports that ambient temps really don't affect cycling.

I've noticed though that the FAL as well as the RFB (and even my POF Revolution with a 12 position regulator) might need an extra click or two, especially if you have it set at the ragged edge of reliability. You'll notice immediately if after the last round, it doesn't lock back.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Some may run perfectly depending on how fine the adjustments are on the regulator. Usually those 3 to 5 position ones have large enough ports that ambient temps really don't affect cycling.

I've noticed though that the FAL as well as the RFB (and even my POF Revolution with a 12 position regulator) might need an extra click or two, especially if you have it set at the ragged edge of reliability. You'll notice immediately if after the last round, it doesn't lock back.
Yea everything I've got has more then 10 settings

·
Registered
333 Posts
Should be a good experiment for you then.

I reload a lot of 308 and 6.5CM and sometimes even 1 grain difference can necessitate a change to the regulator. Ambient temps can cause the same thing by affecting powder burn speed and subsequent dwell time.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Should be a good experiment for you then.

I reload a lot of 308 and 6.5CM and sometimes even 1 grain difference can necessitate a change to the regulator. Ambient temps can cause the same thing by affecting powder burn speed and subsequent dwell time.
I only reload 308..I shoot the Fal the most..Haven't touched the regulator. But I'm expecting it to be below 30 when I shoot them in November :p

·
Registered
25 Posts
Don't know if anyone's had this issue, but I've been firing a lot of 147 grain 7.62 (mostly PMC Bronze and American Eagle M80) and I've been jamming on every round. The rounds chamber perfectly fine and the rifle works great with only 1 round in the mag, but with any more it gets the extracted case stuck to the left of the ejection chute and the next round stuck between the chamber and the magazine, which has bent the end out of shape and damages the mouth of the cartridge (I've also noticed that the bent ends tend to block the recoil spring, but I can't tell if that's the main issue). Also, when I'm firing single rounds I've noticed the the fired case is not held in the extractors when the bolt locks back and is left free in the chambering area. Unfired rounds cycle perfectly fine.

Anybody know a fix for this? I've tried setting my gas per KT's instructions and even re-bending the ends of the ejection chute, but those only last so long, usually only 2 rounds before jamming. I've also used some Armscor 147 grain 308 and some PPU M80 for zeroing, and I had far less jamming with those compared to PMC Bronze and the American Eagle M80.
Try a different magazine I have had trouble with some FAL mags had to do some adjustments to get them to work.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I must be lucky then..10 or so Polymer and a random smattering of DSA and other steel metric Fal mags..No probems..Nother Ids have to modifiy a mag for

·
Registered
14 Posts
@KwiKwi if you feel confident about the gas setting, focus on those extractors, if they are the tiniest bit uneven the extraction will foul. Keltec will replace those boys for you. Once my gas and extractors were sorted out, I still had extraction jams often enough to force me to send it back to them (the fourth time). It came back with a note that said "magazine well adjusted.". Try as I might I can't see any filing or any adjustments, but let me testify: I'm going on 500 rounds without a jam! Hang in there!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry for not replying, I've been extremely busy the past few weeks and have not had the opportunity to shoot at all. After reading the replies, I'm pretty sure my best bet is to just send it back to KT and hope they can resolve my issue. You all have been very helpful, and I hope I didn't leave everyone feeling ghosted at all 😖. I'll post back with any more updates.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Also note that this type of gas system isn't a set and forget deal. You'll need to adjust the regulator like I described if switching loads or if you had it set for summer then decide to go shooting in 32F weather.

A majority of RFB weirdness can be attributed to an incorrectly adjusted gas regulator. The rest unfortunately is due to manufacturing defects. Hopefully yours just needs to be adjusted correctly.
So.I took my Rfb and KnM piston Ak out in 30 degree weather.
Both functioned with my warmer weather tunings.
B+5 on the AM m118 Lr 175gr for the Rfb

·
Registered
333 Posts
That's good. Are you running factory ammo? I've noticed with my handloads and suppressors that sometimes summer tunes require a click or two in either direction for optimal performance. It's not a lot but small changes do matter (at least to me).

·
Registered
418 Posts
That's good. Are you running factory ammo? I've noticed with my handloads and suppressors that sometimes summer tunes require a click or two in either direction for optimal performance. It's not a lot but small changes do matter (at least to me).
For that test,yea.
My handloads are actually tuned for my Fal..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts