Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had the gas piston blow out backwards - Has anyone seen this before?

I was on my second mag - factory new 147gr ammo, not rapid fire.

Here's a pic

·
Registered
196 Posts
Re: rfb failure - help

Is the gas block cracked or damaged, or did it rotate free?

There have been a few isolated incidents where it seems the heat treating of the gas block made them more brittle than they should have been, it's possible yours was in that batch. What range is your serial number?

And as always, call KelTec, they'll take good care of you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

The block is broken - it looks just like the one I just found in the kaboom thread. Looks like the same problem. lucky me I guess.

I did call - I'm supposed to get a call tag. I was just looking for more info here to see if I could pinpoint the issue.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Oh and it's a low 600 serial number

·
Registered
196 Posts

Good to know. Seems that all of the affected rifles have low-600 serial numbers, though we don't know if it's just a few (I think this is the third) or more than that. Mine's a mid 500's serial number and plugging along great about 900 rounds in.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts

Just curious, had you gone thru the gas system setup procedure? The gas block and piston should be strong enough to deal with the maximum setting, but a short stroke piston needs to get a lot done quickly and I can see how too much gas to the piston would cause the excess energy to be absorbed by the rear of the gas block... Like driving a tack into the wall with a sledgehammer. The tac WILL get driven, but the wall is going to absorb the excess energy from the hammer and get dented/cracked...

·
Registered
91 Posts

My RFB is a low serial number gun too, just under 600 and I had a gasblock failure as well. Mine blew up on the second round I fired out of the gun; much worse than yours looks, I posted a thread about it. Kel Tec resolved my problem quickly and since I've had it back I've put a couple hundred rounds through it with no issues at all. I think it was a heat treating issue with the gas block that caused mine to fail and probably yours too.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thanks for the replies - Kel Tec is going to fix it... I'm supposed to get a call tag in the morning.

As far as the gas setting goes, it was set at +8. I ran a full mag through and everything was fine. It happened after I changed mags and fired about 3 shots, then it just went bang/boom and some gas vented upwards.
:'(

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

So far I'm not pleased with Kel-Tec's customer service.

I called yesterday and was told "my computer froze", "I'll email you a call tag in the morning".

Today I called and politely explained the situation and was told, "so and so is on vacation today and I can't access her computer". I had to ask him again, there's no way you can issue me a call tag yourself? He then asked for all my info again and said it may take two days to get a call tag out.

I said I'm aware of the heat treating and annealing issue - which got me a promise to get this issue on the original gals desk in the AM, and a name and extension number for the guy I was speaking to...

I don't want to stir the pot, but sometimes that's the only thing that wakes up companies.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I didn't wait for a call tag, it didn't cost that much to ship it back so I just boxed it up and sent it in. They had it back to me pretty quick, I was in a hurry to work on some hunting loads for it. I plan on terrorizing the hogs a little with it this winter.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got the call tag and sent the rifle in last Friday. I'm anxiously waiting to see what the fix is!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well this little problem hasn't stopped me from having confidence in the RFB. I got a text from my favorite store today and they had their first RFB come in! It's now in my office and I now own 2 RFBs!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
anyone know wherethe cut off for the defective gasblocks is?? I hear low 600's but what is low 600's?? 625? 635? Mine is 65X and is unfired. I sent keltec an email asking the question but havent heard back yet. I may stop by the factory on Monday to see what the deal is and to pick up some keltec schwag. ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was not aware of this issue. I’ve had my ksg since around 2010 (One of the first). I have fired less than 1000 rounds though it but today the gas block blew up and the piston flew out. Luckily no one was hurt but this is a serious defect.
Automotive tire Camera accessory Bicycle part Carbon Auto part

1 - 18 of 18 Posts