Reviews from Gun-Test.com

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Ron, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Ron

Ron New Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Folks,

Has anyone subscribed to or assessed the reviews and comparisons that are found at Gun-Tests?

http://www.gun-tests.com

This site is a subscription service ($2.00 per month) and and offers detailed field test comparisons of various guns. It also allows you to buy a particular review for a one time fee and I reviewed a report that compared the KT-32, P3AT and the Guardian 32NAA. I thought it was a good review format, and their conclusions seemed balanced (overall ranking from best to least was P3AT, P32 and Guardian 32NAA) but since I have experience with only the P3AT can't evaluate their assessment of the other two guns.

They claim to be independent from any gun manufacturer or associated group in terms of sponsorship or affiliation allowing them to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. ;D

I'm thinking about signing up for the annual subscription, but am interested if anyone else here has looked at this material.

Thanks for any input.

Ron..... 8)

2. g27_mengi

g27_mengi New Member

Feb 26, 2006
    I currently subscribe, and I'm glad I did. These guys have zero advertising, and they seem to write sensible balanced reviews of the weapons. Recommended, especially if you're looking to expand your collection and need quick, affordable reviews.

3. Ron

Ron New Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Totally agree. I subscribed shortly after posting the initial message on this thread last December. I really enjoy the monthly reviews and I have ordered some of the back reviews as well. Low cost and very informative.

Ron.... 8)

4. cclem700

cclem700 New Member

Oct 31, 2006
    I recieved thier advertising in the mail, but they gave two reviews on two guns that I own that were not accurate IMHO. I prefer to get reviews from people I know in person and don't charge to give me my opinion :-/ IE: The glock 29 in 10mm will fail to feed and extract and is better off thrown at an attacker..... ??? I am over 5000 rounds in my 29 with Zero malfunctions.....Like I said just my .02....but I'm not charging $2.00 for it ::)

5. g27_mengi

g27_mengi New Member

Feb 26, 2006
    Point taken. And to further emphasize your point, these are opinions. Theirs. Yours. Mine.

I look at it this way: this appears to be an independent, objective group of guys, albeit small in number, who have some system for testing weapons. And for 20 odd bucks, I can read their opinions. In a year's time, I've found their commentary to be tempered, reasonable. Doesn't mean that what they say is 100% accurate or emotion-free. But for that small chunk of change, I believe I've picked up a good amount of information from 'em.

But, as we all agree...that's just my opinion.

;)

6. cclem700

cclem700 New Member

Oct 31, 2006
    This is what makes KTOG such a nice place. I wont call any names, but there are very experienced, unpaid guys here that give that stuff free ;)

Sorry, had to jab after I saw the semper fi 8)

7. g27_mengi

g27_mengi New Member

Feb 26, 2006
    KTOG: Agreed. Full of experienced helpful people. Probably the friendliest forum I've seen on the web.

Hey, they let former Jarheads like ME in, so that's sayin' something. How you Army guys get in...well...that's defies explanation.

;)

Cheers,
    Mengi

8. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    Hey!
    I resemble that there statement!
    If it wasn't for the Army, the Marines wouldn't have any foxholes to take a dump in when they get there. ;D

[​IMG]
    rcmodel

9. cclem700

cclem700 New Member

Oct 31, 2006
    2000 sailors and 2000 marines go to sea.....
    2000 couples come back in 6 months ;D

10. g27_mengi

g27_mengi New Member

Feb 26, 2006
    Classic. The version we always told was aimed at submariners: "60 men go out...30 couples return."

11. always1stnline

always1stnline New Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Here is an oldy I remember from 1953. I have utmost respect for current Marines, so this is just for historical info. "When the Newsreel Cameras run out of film, the USArmy moves in.

12. SK2344

SK2344 New Member

Sep 8, 2008
    I was a subscriber for several years and I did get some usefull info from them from time to time. The reason I dropped them is because I found half or more of the reviews were of firearms that I would never buy. Also they only receive one gun to test and as we all know, there can be a lemon they received. I would rather go on the various forums and listen to the people who own these guns and the results of long term use of their weapons. I also found the price much too high for their limited advice.

13. bunky

bunky New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    you should check out gunblast.com it is very informative and its free.this is someone who actually tests them and knows guns

14. KuduKing

KuduKing New Member

Aug 27, 2005
    I was a subscriber for several years and I did get some usefull info from them from time to time. The reason I dropped them is because I found half or more of the reviews were of firearms that I would never buy. Also they only receive one gun to test and as we all know, there can be a lemon they received. I would rather go on the various forums and listen to the people who own these guns and the results of long term use of their weapons. I also found the price much too high for their limited advice.
    [/quote]

Yes I agree as well. I subscribed for awhile then dropped it. I was not impressed with the level of knowledge or experience of their reviewers, who seemed to be beginner hobbyists that figured they could make a buck doing claimed "unbiased" reviews. After a few issues their particular biases and lack of expertise became obvious, regardless of whether they accepted advertising. As stated, their reviews are based on one sample, which is skewed. In some of their reviews, their conclusions were completely opposite of mine, and I have almost 25 years of professional experience with firearms and ammunition. I've also hunted quite extensively in North America and Africa and found many of their recommendations to be without merit, and indeed, biased. After one particularly ignorant article on Hornady Light Magnum ammunition, I wrote a letter to them in response. To my surprise, they published it. Guess they figure the reader is the final inspector of their test regimen.

Its a fun read, but use Gun Tests for entertainment purposes only. ;D

15. jbabbler

jbabbler New Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Hey, if nothing else we will always have nutnfancy's reviews. That guy seems to really enjoy his reviews. ;D

16. k9pound

k9pound New Member

Jan 18, 2009
    I subscribed about ten years ago. I really liked them for awile. They were fairly new. I found that my findings were not the same as theirs. I got the feeling they were like the comercial news, good news doesn't sell. They had to streach to find things wrong and exploit what they found. My plug for Nutnfancy too. I like his...work?....

17. dennishoddy

dennishoddy New Member

Dec 16, 2008
    Hey jar head! Your talking to one of the army guys that were FIRST in battle. US Army 1st Signal Brigade, Who do you think it was that was first on the beach to film the jar heads coming off the LST's at Normandy and other conflicts??? ;D

Just raggin on ya buddy. We all did our thing, and should be proud of every bit of it. ;)

Just raggin' on ya buddy ;D

18. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I subscribed back when they were a published monthly issue. It took me three months to figure out they weren't for me. That's why I never renewed my subscription and why I don't have their website bookmarked today. I'll stick to Nutnfancy and others I've learned to trust.