Review of P3-AT Extended Magazine Clip

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by IN_Sheepdog, Sep 22, 2010.

1. IN_Sheepdog

IN_Sheepdog New Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Thought I would post this, as much for picture practice as anything else. Being fairly new to the forum, I am just figuring out the posting "quirks" so if the pics are too large or load slow, I apologize.

I purchased the new 9 round extended magazine from Kel-Tec and received it less than a week later, so it appears they now have them in stock.  Considering that the AT only is sold with one magazine, I thought this would be a good addition, particularly for range practice.  
    [​IMG]

Observations:  
    1. If you Pocket Carry this is NOT a good idea.  Not only is it less concealed, the extended grip makes it darn near impossible if you carry in a rear pocket.  Comparison below between standard mag and the extended version.  The extra three rounds are not going to be of much use if you have to fumble with getting pants material out of the way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you plan on carrying with the 9 rnd magazine, I would suggest something like the Crossbreed Minituck which fits the weapon beautifully and the grip no longer is such an issue.  I just dont think it is practical for a POCKET carry.  (at least not with a holster)  I havent tried it yet using just the belt clip, so this might be another preferred alternative.

2) With the extended magazine, the little AT feels a LOT better for grip.  THe extension allows for a full hand grip on the gun and feels quite secure.  The additional Crosshatching also makes it blend well into the rest of the grip.  Even with my "Meathook" Hands, it feels quite managable.   The additional length will also likely take a significant amount of the "perceived" recoil.

[​IMG]

3. There is quite a little gap between the actual grip and the extended grip... perhaps 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch.  I think this is to assure that the magazine fully seats and is not hitting the grip above.  There is also what looks like a large amount of clearance at the back of the magazine. Perhaps there is a reason, but it just not look quite as "finished" and I thought they could have been a little more closer on the tolerances.....

[​IMG]

Overall, THis is a good addition to their product line, and one that I certainly will welcome when shooting at the range.  My guess is that this will make it a lot more predictable on the groupings.  At the very least I beleive it will reduce fatigue.  Based on the Crimson trace dot and dry firing, it certainly appears to be able to hold a steady line.

Bottom line, while I will still stay with the 6 rounds for carry purposes, it is a well constructed and solid product.

Be safe,
    IN_Sheepdog

2. wheelguy

wheelguy New Member

May 4, 2007
    Hi INS, and WELCOME TO KTOG  ;D

That is a great review, thank you for posting it - pictures even - wow! Not only did you mention what it CAN do, but you also covered what it CAN'T do.

I'd be interested to see how your groups differ, if at all, between your 9 and 6 round mags. Usually you want to train the same way you carry, but I don't think anyone has actually compared the 2 mags for that aspect of it. Post up another range result if you get a chance to do so.

3. Static

Static New Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Definitely getting a couple of these, but... 26.50 from the Kel-Tec store is awfully pricey.

4. JAB

JAB Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    East Tennessee
    Great write-up.  Thanks for the info!

I haven't seen any of these at my LGS, yet.  I hate ordering online, paying shipping, etc. for something I know I can (eventually) buy locally so I will wait until they get some - and I am sure they will.

My mom did buy one of the 10 rounders for her P32 at the aforementioned LGS and it is pretty much identical.  It really does turn the grip on the littlest KTs into just about a full grip - and I have wide hands.  We immediately realized that carrying with it would impact concealability and determined that her best course of action would be to carry with a standard mag and use the 10 rounder as a back-up carry mag.  I think that is what I would do with the P3AT 9 rounder.  After all, if you have to reload one of these little pocket rockets in a serious setting, you are probably in a situation where you could use all the help (round count wise as well as grip wise) as you could get.

5. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Hi,

It is a little pricey for a Kel-Tec P3AT magazine, until you've had a Walther, those little bits of Teutonic precision will set you back around $40 for a factory magazine new.

Best Wishes: ;)

6. Static

Static New Member

Sep 23, 2010
    I'll definitely keep that in mind. It's hard to justify to the wife buying all this stuff for the gun when we've "got other priorities", but I'm getting her used to the idea that our protection IS a priority as well. Not to mention that so long as we take care of everything, it should last darn near a decade.

7. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Active Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Thanks for the pix. I hadn't seen one of the new extended mags on a P3AT yet.

I have +1 extensions on all of my P3AT mags and probably won't invest in the 9 rounders. They look like they would be fun for the range, but I don't think I carry get them comfortably in my front pocket.

8. Bo_Bryant

Bo_Bryant New Member

Jun 7, 2008
    Thanks for the post. But I think I will stay with the standard mag. I just received my minituck from Crossbreed holsters for my little baby. Man is it nice! It fits and wears great. Gonna get a Supertuck for my P11.

Thanks again for the post.

Bo Bryant