Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Re: REVIEW OF GURU DAVE and K&D HOLSTERS FOR P

Nice review! Thanks for taking the necessary care to provide highly effective pictures.

I read your review with interest and I am not even shopping for a holster right now. 8)

TucsonMTB . . . who likes to see things clearly

·
Registered
268 Posts

Great review!
I have the Guru Dave and love it. I origianlly got it b/c they could get it to me so quickly. Ordered on Sat afternoon and got it on Monday :eek:. I replaced the brass screws w/ aluminum ones for about $2 and it looks alot better. I have some SS snaps left over from my boat cussion projects, and might have to look into trying those. Never thought of it, as I usually back pocket carry 99% of the time.
I trimmed the outter edge of mine all the way around execpt for the bottom. Basically on the outer edge of the stamped line that runs on the outside. It made it MUCH smaller feeling and prints even less. Ran a black Sharpie on the raw leather, and I dare you to be able to tell if I hadnt told you.

Honestly looking st the photo of your GD, it looks like the quality is not like mine. Mine seems to have been molded to the gun better, and of higher quality leather. Mines kinda a flat black heavy leather as opposed to the shiney "hooker boot" leather. Might be just the light. Also, I have a thumb tab that yous doesnt, not sure why they might have stopped putting those on, except to make it thinner.

Here is before I trimmed it:

·
Registered
357 Posts

Good info - nice post.

There are many ways to look at which holster is the best - and no one right answer  for everyone - its always good to look at a real life comparison.

Its strange - one of the things that stopped me from buying the K&D was the snaps - I thought they would bug me when I had the flap off.  One downside to the screws on the Guru holster is they have a tendency to become loose.

I have tried to carry in my back pocket a few times - but it just does not feel right.  I think the need to put my billfold in my left pocket is part of the problem.  Do the people who carry in your back pocket  sit on your gun? Like while driving?  

Part of the time I am using a GO Kydex pocket holster (front pocket) - with some shorts (light weight material) it would print. So I cut out some Velcro (using just the soft fuzzy side) to fit inside the trigger guard  - then stuck another piece - fitted around the outside of the trigger guard - about 3/4 of an inch past the guard and all the way to the bottom.  

The Velcro really helped eliminate the printing and did not add any overall thickness.

When in jeans - I like to use an IWB holster from Don Hume - but  stick it in my front pocket - so just the grip of the gun sticks out of the top of my pocket. Shirt is not tucked in.  

·
Registered
268 Posts

Never had my screw come loose, but I did replace them w/ the brushed aluminum for looks.

I dont really notice sitting on it now. I think at first it took some getting used to, but cant really remember.

·
Banned
7,638 Posts

I don't sit on the gun. It did take a little while getting used to the wallet in left pocket and using left hand to access it. But then I also SHOOT with both hands so it wasn't hard.

Packer.

G

·

justfish. I have the same GD holster as pictured and love it. I don't use the flap though. I didn't like it in the back pocket for it still stuck out of my pocket and people could see the back side of the weapon. So I just have the holster part as my front carry holster and it works great. It is as thin a leather holster as I have ever found. My preference is still Ron Graham, dahalia front pocket holster. Both great peaces of work though IMO.

·
Registered
297 Posts

I carry mine rear pocket. It goes in before i leave the house, and does not come out until i am safely back home. It only took about a week to get used to the feel of the gun. It took about 6-8 weeks to get used to carrying my wallet in my left rear pocket vs. right. Now it is second nature.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts

Great review MTD.  If I remember, I'll move this to Accessories in a few days, partly because it is an accessory, but also because of the traffic on this forum, it will drop off the first page before too long.  In accessories, it will be visible longer.  Again thanks for the review.   8)

·
Registered
81 Posts

z71bill said:

Part of the time I am using a GO Kydex pocket holster (front pocket) - with some shorts (light weight material) it would print. So I cut out some Velcro (using just the soft fuzzy side) to fit inside the trigger guard  - then stuck another piece - fitted around the outside of the trigger guard - about 3/4 of an inch past the guard and all the way to the bottom.  

The Velcro really helped eliminate the printing and did not add any overall thickness.
Can you post a pic of how you did this? Hard to visualize what you've done here.

Tnx!

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts

steelhorses said:
Can you post a pic of how you did this?  Hard to visualize what you've done here.

Tnx!
I think I recall having see that pic posted somewhere. Perhaps he can point you toward it or start a new thread.

·
Registered
357 Posts

Due to PC problems (lightning strike fried part of my system) My ability to post pictures is limited - but I think I can explain it.

The printing problem with the Grandfather Oaks kydex holster is caused by the deep molding around the trigger guard. The molding really helps to hold the gun in the holster but - when I was wearing shorts and sitting down I could see the outline of the gun show through.  

I had a chunk of heavy duty velcro - the self sticking type left - over from a project.

I took a small piece of wax paper - layed it on the holster and drew around the trigger guard - then just cut on the line to make a pattern - transfer the pattern to the velcro  (using only the fuzzy side of velcro) / cut it / trim a little for a good fit / and then stick it on. Its been a couple months and it has not come loose yet.  When done the velcro fills up the impression both inside & outside the trigger guard area - it prevents the outline of the guard from showing through.

I ordered a GO for my PM9 - it was just delivered - I plan to do the same thing to it.

GO actually sells a holster with velcro already on it - so it can be used to hide the gun - under a table or the dash of your car. That is sort of were I got the idea from - but GO uses the loop side of the velcro.  

·
Registered
9 Posts

justfish380 said:
Also, I have a thumb tab that yous doesnt, not sure why they might have stopped putting those on, except to make it thinner.
I called them the other day asking why they stopped having the reinforcement thumb tab and was told they are now using a thicker leather so it is not needed.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Microtechdude said:
Click here for review:

http://www.kbacpa.com/HolsterReview.htm

Microtechdude ;D
Thanks for a great article! I had narrowed my choices to K&D and GD as well. I just ordered GD's P-3AT in black, though they currently do not have them in stock. They hope to get them in next Thursday and ship the same day. I also ordered a leather magazine pouch for less than $12.

Your article certainly helped erase any doubts that I had!

;D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.